Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! oil change and service

black xrlv

My XLR/V(s)
2008 black and black
I have a 08 xlrv the oil has not been changed in 3 years but has been driven only 6000 miles in that time frame.

I know the brakes and coolant system has been serviced in the last 3 years. What else needs to be done? Not sure of any other service work done since new, has a total of 16k miles. Runs and looks great.

How often does the oil need to be changed? I used Blackstone to analyze the oil and wear 3 years ago and things were OK.

I need to get a little more serious about taking care of the car.

Thank you in advance for your help and I suspect this has been discussed before but I could not find the thread.

GM recommends that oil be changed once a year for low mileage vehicles. Read the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. I would change the air filters an the cabin filter for a start.

Run a couple tank fulls of fuel system cleaner in the gas. You have to get down to almost empty before you put it in, since it has dual tanks. I like Techron.

I would also make sure to put ethanol free gas in the car. I wouldn't want that sitting in my tank or gas lines for extended periods of time.

The owners manual suggests servicing the inter-cooler and transmission at 100k miles. The vehicle has 16k but is 10 years old is that something that I need to consider? I don't want to fix something that is not broken. I assume the inter-cooler is the super charger?

As per the owners manual should I change the oil once a year even though it is only driven 2 to 3 thousand miles a year?

Just my opinion,,,

Quote: " As per the owners manual should I change the oil once a year even though it is only driven 2 to 3 thousand miles a year?

Personally,, if using full-synthetic oil ,,,, which is normally good for 7500+ miles........ in your case every other year should be OK. I change my full-syn oil between 5500 to 6500 miles and it is still clean looking.

Also, I use Techron and Star-Tron as my fuel additives --- no problems.

From the Owners manual.

"Change Engine Oil Soon” will display on your dashboard when it is time to change your engine oil and filter. ((The motor oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and the engine Oil Life System must be reset.)) Your dealer has trained service technicians who will perform this work and reset the system. If your oil was recently changed and the message is still being displayed, it is possible that the Oil Life Monitoring System in your vehicle was not reset during your last oil change."

I’m not sure about the mileage, but I believe there was a bulletin out about changing the rear end differential pumpkin oil and suppose to add an additive to the new oil when it was changed! I also just this year had the brake fluid change out as the old fluid was pretty dark and dirty, but my 2005 has 98k on her!

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back