Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Oil leak

redsoxdad2

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
I found a small oil leak on the floor of my garage. Brought my 2005 XLR to the dealer and was told that it was comming from the front of the engine. They told me that the front end had to be taking apart and then they had to get into the engine. Sounds like a lot of money. Has anyone had the same problem and is there any suggestions?:confused:

I found a small oil leak on the floor of my garage. Brought my 2005 XLR to the dealer and was told that it was coming from the front of the engine. They told me that the front end had to be taking apart and then they had to get into the engine. Sounds like a lot of money. Has anyone had the same problem and is there any suggestions?:confused:

There's an extensive thread on here about oil leaks. Lots of us have had them; seems NorthStar engines are notorious for seeping a little. In my case, it turned out to be leaky cam adjuster caps. If so in your case, that would NOT require going "into the engine". The caps are readily accessible. The oil seeps around the wiring to the adjusters. If I remember right, it cost the warranty company about a grand, after I paid the $250 deductible.

Suggest you check out the thread and see if it matches up w/ your situation. Good hunting.

Tim

Oil Leak

There's an extensive thread on here about oil leaks. Lots of us have had them; seems NorthStar engines are notorious for seeping a little. In my case, it turned out to be leaky cam adjuster caps. If so in your case, that would NOT require going "into the engine". The caps are readily accessible. The oil seeps around the wiring to the adjusters. If I remember right, it cost the warranty company about a grand, after I paid the $250 deductible.

Suggest you check out the thread and see if it matches up w/ your situation. Good hunting.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I will look keep looking at the threads. I didn't know if any of those additives that claim to stop leaks were any good.

Mine started slow then 2 months later after I kept a cardboard under to see if spots got larger. I decided to take her in. Come to find out my o rings were bad. So after my dealer overnighted the parts (actually 2 days later) the car was fixed. I also had my 30 k mile check up. So now she runs peeerfectly
I hope this helps you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All three of ours leak. We just park our Cadillacs on the street instead of friend's diveways.

the north*'s like to leak @various places. the biggest=most costly is the middle block/oil manifold. GM changed/upgraded the oil manifold and mine has been leak free for 15k miles, also had the cam actuators replaced for weeping oil. Al

But the good thing for me. My Zurich warranty covered the leak issue. So all I really paid for was me 30 k check up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oil Leak

I found a small oil leak on the floor of my garage. Brought my 2005 XLR to the dealer and was told that it was comming from the front of the engine. They told me that the front end had to be taking apart and then they had to get into the engine. Sounds like a lot of money. Has anyone had the same problem and is there any suggestions?:confused:

Never saw a car motor that didn't leak a little over time. If it's only a few drops it's not worth it to fix it. Mine has 29,000+ and it leaves a few drops in the tray under it. The tray has "Cat Litter" in it, because it does the job, and is much cheaper than what the auto supply houses sell!

Dealer

Watch out for the dealers! When I first got my XLR, from another source, I had a w/wiper motor replaced and the guy I bought it from paid that bill. While it was there they did a free 26 point inspection. They told me a lot of lies! One of a few, was that the transmission fluid needed to be replaced. The car only had 26,000+ miles on it! The manual says to change it at 50,000!! They are out to get you, :(so be wary!!!

My favorite saying on this is my car doesn’t leak oil, it marks its territory! :laugh:

Watch out for the dealers! When I first got my XLR, from another source, I had a w/wiper motor replaced and the guy I bought it from paid that bill. While it was there they did a free 26 point inspection. They told me a lot of lies! One of a few, was that the transmission fluid needed to be replaced. The car only had 26,000+ miles on it! The manual says to change it at 50,000!! They are out to get you, :(so be wary!!!

I'm not sure but sometimes I believe they also go by the age of the fluid. Sort of like a warranty. So many miles or so many years. I just changed the plugs on my 2002 4.6L F-150 that had just under 60,000 miles which is when they call for them to be replaced. They were the original 16 year old plugs! Ford recommends 60,000 or 4 years whichever comes first. When I first got the truck I had the dealership change the tranny fluid even though it only had 40,000 miles on it but was 14 years old.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom