Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Parking lamp and side marker

grahamdell

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR
I am new to XLR ownership and learning. When I start the car the parking lamp and side marker light up. Doesn't seem to be anyway to turn them off. Comments?

On the turn signal there should be a knob that turns. It says auto and then has light indicator for parking and headlights. I always leave mine on auto. But I don’t think they turn all the way off. You could just turn the parking lights on but on the instrument panel it’ll just say headlights recommended. I’m pretty sure all cars made after 2000 came mandatory daytime running lights. So I don’t think you could turn the lights off completely. Unless you are taking interior lights then that’s a different story. You would need to hit the Info button and then the option button on the dash next to the steering wheel
c83e224e306c75f82ca2c071629f69c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am new to XLR ownership and learning. When I start the car the parking lamp and side marker light up. Doesn't seem to be anyway to turn them off. Comments?

Ok I guess I learned something new. If you do like I said on the turn signal lever but be sure you turn the right knob it’s a roller knob not a door knob the one roller knob turns on and off the fog lights. The other knob is your headlight parking light knob. Roll one way and it turns off headlights and leaves on parking lights. Roll towards you and it turns off lights completely. This is the turn signal/cruise control lever.
One thing I found out by accident was our cars have a lane warning. I was turning off cruise control and a car was beside me. It made a noise and a warning light came on the heads up display. So if you haven’t heard this before then you are warned by me. It’s loud but it’s better then side swiping someone. I haven’t found out yet if it’s just on the drivers side or passenger side. I’m to nervous to find out.

5aba60a044f62ba41eacceb7aac60770.jpg

Last edited:
I believe I read somewhere that if your car was a Canadian export, you can’t turn off the DRL’s.

Two things I hate smarter than me: Women and Cars

Ok with further patience and study I find everything works as designed. Not necessarily as a quick read of the owners manual discloses. An added bonus, however is discovering that running the fog lamps in daylight keeps the dreaded DRL lamps off. That will be a help until I replace all the lamps with LED.

Ok with further patience and study I find everything works as designed. Not necessarily as a quick read of the owners manual discloses. An added bonus, however is discovering that running the fog lamps in daylight keeps the dreaded DRL lamps off. That will be a help until I replace all the lamps with LED.

I turned my lights off just by rolling the light switch towards me
765b4a9bf7bde2cfb54474ad4631d567.jpg
9a0d9e7e35dd61abaef4876416e469ab.jpg
ab1f6901f81dba9ca4d61ef5c4552e26.jpg
I just found this out yesterday. But I guess if your car was made for Canada then you might be stuck with lights. But yes turning on fog lights turns the headlights off and only parking lights are on except for when it’s dark.

Hawkeye372 posted:

"One thing I found out by accident was our cars have a lane warning. I was turning off cruise control and a car was beside me. It made a noise and a warning light came on the heads up display. So if you haven’t heard this before then you are warned by me. It’s loud but it’s better then side swiping someone. I haven’t found out yet if it’s just on the drivers side or passenger side. I’m to nervous to find out."

Hawkeye: You are the first to report this capability, so it begs the question: How can a forward-looking cruise control radar detect a vehicle along side the XLR, --much less the XLR's position within a lane; especially if the ACC was just switched it off?

These systems currently exist, but the XLR was never equipped with them.

I have Lane Departure Warning on my car and it's activated by the Forward Looking Camera. Forward and rear radar sensors detect adjacent vehicles on either side (Blind Spot Detection System). If I signal and start to move over, (the sensors illuminate an LED on the affected side mirror to warn me of someone in my blind spot in advance) the Safety Alert Seat vibrates (if the audible alarm is disabled) and the HUD displays a crash alert. These are excellent systems that I wish were in all vehicles -- especially handy when backing out of a parking spot and you can't see through the vehicles on either side.

Are you sure you didn't have a one-time ACC alarm activation glitch as you switched it off?

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Hawkeye372 posted:

"One thing I found out by accident was our cars have a lane warning. I was turning off cruise control and a car was beside me. It made a noise and a warning light came on the heads up display. So if you haven’t heard this before then you are warned by me. It’s loud but it’s better then side swiping someone. I haven’t found out yet if it’s just on the drivers side or passenger side. I’m to nervous to find out."

Hawkeye: You are the first to report this capability, so it begs the question: How can a forward-looking cruise control radar detect a vehicle along side the XLR, --much less the XLR's position within a lane; especially if the ACC was just switched it off?

I have Lane Departure Warning on my car and it's activated by the Forward Looking Camera. Forward and rear radar sensors detect adjacent vehicles on either side (Blind Spot Detection System). If I signal and start to move over, (the sensors illuminate an LED on the affected side mirror to warn me of someone in my blind spot in advance) the Safety Alert Seat vibrates (if the audible alarm is disabled) and the HUD displays a crash alert. These are excellent systems that I wish were in all vehicles -- especially handy when backing out of a parking spot and you can't see through the vehicles on either side.

Are you sure you didn't have a one-time ACC alarm activation glitch as you switched it off?

Just by accident I was turning off the cruise and my hand hit the turn signal. A simi loud sound emitted from somewhere in the car and at the same time a red warning light appeared on the screen projected on the windshield. (Sorry right now I’m lost on the right words) like I said before I just found this out recently. Maybe it’s just my car since bowling green said they have no record of my vin number. When I was trying for a replica window sticker.

No because this has happened twice so far. Maybe because I might have had the wheel turned toward the other lane when a car was on the side as I was pushing the cruise off. It thought I was actually hitting the turn signal?

Last edited:
Ok I just messaged Daniel and he said he had had this happen to him also. His has happened when you get to close to a vehicle
Mine though happens when the car thinks I’m changing lanes when turning off the acc

When they get rid of the driver I am gone!

Hawkeye372 posted:

The increased automation you illustrate speaks to helping an idiot driver (not you). Cars are to be DRIVIN.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom