Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Pirelli World Challenge--Season Finale!!

cubby558

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
'16 Z06, "06 XLR-V Infra Red-Sold, RII, RIII & RIV survivor, Mdwst Maurader
Cadillac Racing and Johnny O'Connell have a chance to win their third consecutive title with wins today and tomorrow!

TOOELE, Utah – While more than a dozen drivers have mathematical possibilities to win 2014 Pirelli World Challenge class championships, the number should drop to single digits of those eligible after Friday’s races at Miller Motorsports Park. <!-- Item fulltext --> GT/GT-A/GTS runs Round 15 on Friday and Round 16 on Saturday, while Touring Car/Touring Car A/Touring Car B-Spec runs Round 13 on Friday and Round 14 on Saturday.

A maximum of 304 points are available this weekend in each class. A driver would achieve that maximum with a win (140 points) and by securing all 12 bonus points in each race. Drivers not within 152 points heading into Saturday’s races will be mathematically eliminated from championship contention.

Here are the points situations heading into the final race weekend of the season. All scenarios presented do not take into account potential bonus points, of which 12 are on offer per race (7 for pole, 3 most laps led, 1 for one lap led, 1 for fastest race lap), and would be added to the projections. Additionally, scenarios presented do not take into account potential points deductions that could be assessed.

GT

Johnny O’Connell, of Flowery Branch, Ga., in the No. 3 Cadillac Racing Cadillac CTS-V.R leads Mike Skeen, of Charlotte, N.C., in the No. 2 Hawk Performance Audi R8 Ultra, by 42 points, 1376-1334.

O’Connell will retain the points lead heading into Round 16 provided he finishes ahead of Skeen in Round 15. If he doesn’t, Skeen can move into the points lead with a top-five finish and several possible scenarios playing out.

Skeen can take the points lead on O’Connell in Friday’s Round 15 if he wins and O’Connell finishes third or worse (1474-1471), with second and O’Connell ninth or worse (1444-1440), with third and O’Connell 13th or worse (1429-1427), with fourth and O’Connell 17th or worse (1419-1417), or with fifth and O’Connell 19th or worse (1414-1413).

Third-placed Anthony Lazzaro, of Atlanta, Ga., in the No. 61 R. Ferri Motorsports Ferrari 458 Italia GT3, is mathematically alive at 160 back of O’Connell (1376-1216). Lazzaro cannot move into the points lead in Round 15. The closest he can get to O’Connell is eight points. He would need to score a maximum 152 points to advance to 1368 points, and have O’Connell fail to score points.

Andy Pilgrim, of Boca Raton, Fla., in the No. 8 Cadillac Racing Cadillac CTS-V.R and Andrew Palmer, of Chicago, in the No. 21 GMG Racing Audi R8 Ultra are still mathematically eligible heading into Round 15 but will be eliminated provided they are outside that 152-point gap heading into Round 16.

Audi and Cadillac will also square off for the Manufacturer’s Championship. Cadillac looks for its third in a row, but will have to come from behind to do so.

Audi has 85 points to Cadillac’s 78 through Round 14. For Cadillac to overcome the gap, Cadillac would need to win (9 points) and have the best Audi finish no better than sixth (1 point) in Round 15, and then finish ahead of Audi in Round 16 to retain the title. Audi can clinch the Manufacturer’s Championship if it leaves Round 15 with an 11-point advantage over Cadillac.

Spoiler Alert!!

Below are the results of the final race in Pirelli World Challenge. It will air on Sept. 28th @ 2:30pm ET on NBCSN. If you don't want to know stop reading now!

Saturday, September 13, 2014
Champions Crowned After Miller Pirelli World Challenge Season Finale
Written by Series Staff
Print

Smith/PWC
TOOELE, Utah – Johnny O’Connell (GT) and Lawson Aschenbach (GTS) have captured class championships for the Pirelli World Challenge 2014 season, following the conclusion of Saturday’s final round of the season at Miller Motorsports Park. Additionally, Michael Mills has become the first driver to take home the Sportsman’s Cup as top driver in the first year of GT-A.
Robert Thorne (GT) and Jack Baldwin (GTS) won in Round 16, the Pirelli World Challenge Nissan Championship Finale brought to you by Motul. Tim Pappas was the top classified GT-A driver.

O’Connell, of Flowery Branch, Ga., in the No. 3 Cadillac Racing Cadillac CTS-V.R clinched his third straight GT Driver’s Championship. Meanwhile Cadillac emerged as Manufacturer’s Champion, breaking a pre-race tie of 85 points apiece. Andy Pilgrim finished third and no Audis made the top six to score points.

"Big team effort, and I could not be more proud of the guys,” O’Connell said. “The driver is just the quarterback. If you don't have a great team, good things won't happen. There's a saying where you should surround yourself with good people and at every level of Cadillac racing we have that. We're very fortunate, Andy and I, to represent the excitement that happens on the race track."

In GTS, the same three title protagonists fought for the title this season finale as last. Aschenbach, of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., in the No. 1 Blackdog Speed Shop Chevrolet Camaro took the title with second at the finish. It is his second straight GTS title and fourth overall (2006 GT, 2011 TC).

"Never say die. I really have to say thanks to everyone at Blackdog Speed Shop,” Aschenbach said. “This season we had some ups and some pretty hard downs that basically took us out of the championship. But we kept fighting and that became our motto and we kept fighting and kept pushing and at the end of the day I am really proud to say that I am proud of what we accomplished this year, especially considering what we've been through.”

Kia secured the GTS Manufacturer’s Championship over Ford. It entered with a seven-point lead over Ford (88-81), got an additional point for pole courtesy of Nic Jonsson, of Buford, Ga., with the fastest lap in Round 15. Neither Kia finished in the top 10, but Ford was unable to win.

The race itself ran caution-free for 50 minutes and featured an incredible bout between Thorne, of Littleton, Col., in the No. 6 K-PAX Racing McLaren 12C GT3 and Ryan Dalziel, of Winter Park, Fla. in the No. 31 EFFORT Racing Porsche GT3 R.

Despite several attempts to pass, and despite encountering traffic late, Thorne was able to hold on for his first GT victory, and first for the K-PAX Racing McLaren this season. Thorne won by just 0.130 of a second, at an average speed of 82.296 mph. Thorne also won a Touring Car race at Sonoma in 2012.

"It was quite a battle, especially towards the end,” Thorne said. “I had radio issues and lost communications to the pits and I wasn't sure actually how many laps were left. Every time I drove by and trying to hold off Dalziel, I was waiting for the 1 more lap and finally it came out. It was a great day and a great day for the end of the season. We had some struggles this year with the car and trying to get the launch to work. Getting the launch and going right to the front shows we are going to be a big contender next year."

Pilgrim, of Boca Raton, Fla., was third in the No. 8 Cadillac Racing Cadillac CTS-V.R ahead of the Dyson Racing Team Bentley teammates, Butch Leitzinger, of State College, Pa., in the No. 08 Bentley/Breitling/Mobil 1 Bentley Continental GT3 and polesitter Guy Smith, of Beverley, U.K. in the No. 88 Bentley/Breitling/Mobil 1 Bentley Continental GT3.

Pappas, of Boston, Mass., in the No. 54 Black River Caviar Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3, atoned for a mechanical issue that sidelined him on Saturday to secure his second GT-A win of the season.

Marcelo Hahn, of Sao Paulo, Brazil, in the No. 0 Reiter Engineering Lamborghini Gallardo FL2 was second with GT-A champion Mills, of Angleton, Texas, third in the No. 41 EFFORT Racing Porsche GT3 R.

"It's an honor to be here with Johnny and Lawson,” Mills said. “Chuck and I started this team basically for a one-off race deal and it turned into a full season in 2012 and full season in 2013 and we missed the championship by one point last year. It's an honor for me to bring home the championship for Effort. I have to thank everyone for letting me do this and the team for helping me do this. I also need to thank my wife for letting me do this, it takes a lot of time and energy and thank the Bergmeisters, Nick Tandy and Ryan Dalziel for everything they've done."

GTS saw the Kia Racing/Kinetic Motorsports drivers star early before mechanical issues struck them both.

Polesitter Nic Jonsson, of Buford, Ga., in the No. 36 DonorsChoose.org led the first seven laps before falling back with a half shaft problem. Meanwhile Mark Wilkins, of Toronto, in the No. 38 PutOnTheBrakes.org Kia Optima turned in a storming drive to climb from 17th to sixth by Lap 8, before overheating.

Baldwin, of Marietta, Ga., took the lead on Lap 9 in the No. 73 RESET-MD Porsche Cayman S and wouldn’t look back for the remainder of the race en route to his third victory of the season.

“It was a great day for GTSport Racing, our sponsors and Porsche. The way the guys were able to adapt and overcome all of what we have endured this season is remarkable,” Baldwin said. “The guys never gave up and to finish second overall with a win is a fantastic achievement.”

Aschenbach was second with Drew Regitz, of Denver, Col., third for the second straight day in the No. 02 TRG-AMR North America Aston Martin GT4. Michael Cooper, of Syosset, N.Y., was fourth in the No. 28 Blackdog Speed Shop Chevrolet Camaro with Dean Martin, of Westland, Mich., fifth in the No. 50 Picture Cars East/Rehagen Racing Ford Mustang Boss 302S.

Of note, both Martin and Anthony Lazzaro, of Atlanta, Ga., in the No. 61 R. Ferri Motorsports Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 took home two specialty awards.

Lazzaro won both the Cadillac CTS-V Move of the Race with Invisible Glass Clean Pass of the Race, en route to finishing sixth in GT. Meanwhile Martin won both the Optima Batteries Best Standing Start with a gain of 11 positions, and the Sunoco Hard Charger with a gain of 15 from start to finish. Martin ended fifth in GTS.

Results and points are provisional until posted as final.

The Miller Motorsports Park rounds will air on Sunday, Sept. 28 at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom