Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Power Seat

Caddy42

My XLR/V(s)
2009 Crystal Red - Platinum XLR
This is second time I've had to replace the Power Seat on my 2009 XLR. The problem is the seat - intermittently - will not remember the Memory Positions set, but you could activate it manually by pushing the Memory 1 OR 2 positions. The Dealer suggested the Memory Module was the issue and replaced that, but the problem continued. Next we replaced the seat mechanism (frame with the multiple motors). Per the Dealer, you must replace the entire mechanism (pricey) as it's only available as a unit. That solved the problem. Apparently one of the motors has a bad winding. It would seem to me the individual motor(s) should be able to replaced or fixed individually. Any assistance would be appreciated.

well they did not cast it all in one part. its made up of individual pieces that I am sure can be replaced. The dealer does not break it down as you stated but Parts can be found . so does the seat move into positions when using the individual switches? I highly doubt you have a motor issue . Sounds exactly like a memory module problem. The motors appear to be the same in a dozen gm models. just not the frame of course.

Memories of the seat positions

Caddy.

Try the followings.

Battery full charge and maintained by a battery tender and on the park position.

Seat full forward…..then seat full backward.
Seat full upward….then full downward
Now the tilt steering, full upward….then full downward.
Finally, the seat full forward and full backward.
This exercise could help the seat to remind its positions, it cost nothing to try, maybe it will works….. maybe not.

As an helper attached is also a copy of 2008 owner manual on how to memorised the seat positions.

Good luck

IAN :dunno:
power seat 20081.jpgpowerseat2.jpg

nn
well they did not cast it all in one part. its made up of individual pieces that I am sure can be replaced. The dealer does not break it down as you stated but Parts can be found . so does the seat move into positions when using the individual switches? I highly doubt you have a motor issue . Sounds exactly like a memory module problem. The motors appear to be the same in a dozen gm models. just not the frame of course.

Thanks for the reply and I would agree with except I had replaced the memory module several months previously and the problem continued until I replaced the power seat mechanism with all the motors. My only other thought is; could I have an electrical connection problem causing the issue. That seems far-fetched to me, but I can't think of anything else? Any other thoughts? Thank you again.

well I would work the switches in each direction. you should be able to easily find that up- down or something does not work. if all the directions work then I would think its got to be one of the modules. Most of the time on the ones I have seen ,if one direction is out the memory will still move all the directions but that one . do the mirrors and all work when you put in the key?
I am summing that when you use your key the seat does not move? if you manually set it then use the other key do they also not return> If you push 1 or 2 does the seat work properly then . you may have a plug out but I would try everything else before thinking a new seat motor when out already.

Bad connections ???

Caddy,

You seem to think that it could be a connection......then on the RH side of the A pillar at the passenger side behind the trim, there is a connector call 208 ( I believe ) check for the corrosion between the pins.

Finally check for also some corrosions of the ground 301 connections pack, on the B pillar behind the trims.

Is the switches board well fixed in place.

IAN:dunno:

Last edited:
There is a recall on an under seat connector. They basically wire the cables together permanently.

I don't remember what the symptoms where for it, I'm sure if you look around in the recall area or google it you can find the information.

There is a recall on an under seat connector. They basically wire the cables together permanently.

I don't remember what the symptoms where for it, I'm sure if you look around in the recall area or google it you can find the information.

he has an 09 updated parts. the early ones could get the wire caught on part of the seat . I was thinking it was the passenger seat. but will check and post

I looked it was all years . the 09 were inspected as they had been installed properly . all early ones got a zip tie .It was an airbag connections that would come apart and turn the light on the dash.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back