Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Price Goughing

ccclarke

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2013 Graphite Metallic XTS Platinum
A refurbished (Used) XLR Tail Light for $3495 (with a $500 return Core Charge) WTF?!!!

2004-2009 Cadillac XLR RH Rear Taillight Tail Light Lamp 10360931 15859111 Right | eBay

If this doesn't qualify as a rip-off. . . I'm all for free enterprise and the American way, but . . . This isn't supply and demand; it's more like: supply and DEMAND, and it isn't right.

Basically, after shipping, parts, and labor, this seller is making a profit of nearly $3000 per light. If this unscrupulous continues, I'm apt to start snapping up used tail lights, repair the LEDs, and polish the exterior plastic myself --for no more than a $200 profit, which is more than fair. I have a well-appointed electronics bench, (and plenty of repair experience) to perform this level of work.

There's another repair service on eBay quoting $549. While expensive for the amount of labor involved, it's a far better deal than several of the sellers advertising over $3k each for lights.

SCAMMERS BEWARE: You aren't the only game in town. Keep it up, and then stand by a lesson in righteous indignation. I sent the eBay seller a message stating such. This is nothing but pure greed, masquerading as a "fair profit."

PS: Blew the Title; should have read, "Price Gouging. . "

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are going to be more than a few people that won't care how much it costs.

It's going to make it hard for everyone else.

With a saturated marketing presence - eBay, Amazon, and all of the XLR sites where users go for parts and info, it wouldn't be hard to bring the unrealistic prices down being hawked by some of these people by undercutting them with more than competitive prices, good service, and word of mouth spread by both. How long do you think anyone hawking lights at inflated prices like these would last on this forum? Those are the sellers on eBay. They won't get much --if any, business here.

Insurance companies aren't in the habit of authorizing used/refurbished replacement parts. At some point, they may drop collision coverage and force owners to switch to specialized collector car insurance companies. It's tough to insure something when replacement parts aren't available.

Headlights are a different matter entirely. Making a few dozen from scratch isn't worth the work when refurbished units can be sold. I'm sure there are enterprising people who figure, "Even if I can sell three dozen a year @ $3k a pop and net $108k, it's worth it. The truth is, the first set is the always hardest to produce - once the process and materials are refined, then the profits begin, after operating expenses are covered. I think the refurbished market will end up being the most lucrative, since repairable and refurbished parts appear on eBay frequently. There (have been) and will be a lot of big talkers with dollar signs in their eyes saying they can make them, but I won't hold my breath. This is a very, very small market. In ten or twenty years as collectors try to restore XLRs, who knows what the market will bear?

Until then, owners can scour the web searching for parts from a variety of sources, choosing the best option for their needs and budget. This kind of capability is very powerful and should even out pricing in the long run. Just looking on eBay today, there are (at least) three sellers advertising refurbished tail lights. Two list them for over three grand, and one (they've been mentioned here) performs the same service for
nearly six times less. Where do you think potential buyers will gravitate?

For the immediate future, multi-thousand dollar tail lights are not going to be big sellers --unless someone with more money than sense HAS to have one, and that market is even smaller. The majority of XLR owners are smart, practical, and know when they're being taken advantage of. The Word just needs to get out in all the arenas where parts are sold and they'll follow the path of least resistance. That's how you corner a market and sleep well knowing you helped someone out by providing a service without taking advantage of them.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Just ordered a set of MRR HR9 wheels for the XLR. Any interest in the original OEM wheels please shoot me a message here or IM. They're in great shape with the exception of the guys installing new tires weren't really kind. No curb damage. No charge for the wheels but you're responsible for shipping if required. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Crazy

Yeah I saw those eBay listings for several thousand dollars for a used XLR tail-light assembly. That's insane. Nobody would pay that. Maybe for a Ferrari but that's about it. There must be other ways to get replacement tail-lights...right?

Yeah I saw those eBay listings for several thousand dollars for a used XLR tail-light assembly. That's insane. Nobody would pay that. Maybe for a Ferrari but that's about it. There must be other ways to get replacement tail-lights...right?
Everyone would love for you to find a way to get them. I have watched at least 15 lights ell for over 2500-3000 plus the headlights go for close to 4000. Its no different than a Ferrari going for 6 Million. Supply and demand. I have also seen cars totaled in the salvage yard that just need a fender and headlight .SO when it comes to getting a light, Most all insurance companies will cover a broken light under comprehensive insurance so you have no deductible or very small deductible. That's why you buy insurance.

Wow

Everyone would love for you to find a way to get them. I have watched at least 15 lights ell for over 2500-3000 plus the headlights go for close to 4000. Its no different than a Ferrari going for 6 Million. Supply and demand. I have also seen cars totaled in the salvage yard that just need a fender and headlight .SO when it comes to getting a light, Most all insurance companies will cover a broken light under comprehensive insurance so you have no deductible or very small deductible. That's why you buy insurance.

I see what you're saying. I guess I didn't realize how rare some replacement parts were going to be when I bought my XLR, however, I had my suspicions, and I don't regret buying it. I guess I will just have to drive real careful-like ;) Hopefully people will find a more reasonable way to get replacement parts and share them with us one day. One can dream...

I see what you're saying. I guess I didn't realize how rare some replacement parts were going to be when I bought my XLR, however, I had my suspicions, and I don't regret buying it. I guess I will just have to drive real careful-like ;) Hopefully people will find a more reasonable way to get replacement parts and share them with us one day. One can dream...
10-4 on the driving carefully. High price of parts should not hamper your efforts to enjoy the car. I can tell you about the price, I have run across deals before on parts that I passed the savings on to people on ebay only to find resellers bought them ,then turned around and offered them for top dollar. That's why forums are good. I will sell much cheaper to someone who actually needs a part instead of one of the people who buy only to sell for profit.

Just ordered a set of MRR HR9 wheels for the XLR. Any interest in the original OEM wheels please shoot me a message here or IM. They're in great shape with the exception of the guys installing new tires weren't really kind. No curb damage. No charge for the wheels but you're responsible for shipping if required. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Did you ever find a home for these?

Anybody Got Some Beat-up Broken headlights

It sure would be nice if someone had some broken, beat-up non-functional front XLR headlights I could 3D scan. The first 10 pairs of new headlights should cost buyers 3k, then 2k thereafter, maybe even down to 1k later. They could be better than the originals headlights and 100% LED.

be more than happy to help you

It sure would be nice if someone had some broken, beat-up non-functional front XLR headlights I could 3D scan. The first 10 pairs of new headlights should cost buyers 3k, then 2k thereafter, maybe even down to 1k later. They could be better than the originals headlights and 100% LED.
Already tried it with 2 major manufactures offshore. They can get the price down to 2000 only if I order and prepay for 5000 lights. Any fewer they want 4000 per light after a 50,000 initial setup cost. That's per side . HAHA There is not that many cars around. I have one light already scanned in a 3d program I will be glad to share if you think you can get them made somewhere

Pretty Chinese Women

Already tried it with 2 major manufactures offshore. They can get the price down to 2000 only if I order and prepay for 5000 lights. Any fewer they want 4000 per light after a 50,000 initial setup cost. That's per side . HAHA There is not that many cars around. I have one light already scanned in a 3d program I will be glad to share if you think you can get them made somewhere

I have been down the offshore route too with manufacturing. I have a lot of pictures of pretty women on my Skype account from different companies around China. This is not the way to go for making a low volume XLR headlight. Crazy enough, I have an American company can make the headlights way cheaper than offshore using a new printing technology. I would really like that scanned file. Maybe we can make a deal.

ccclarke, I am a custumer if you try your hand at re doing the tail lights.

Thanks, Phil

This sort of went dormant after no one seem to care. I had the headlights scanned on my one dime in case my XLR headlights went bad. I printed a DRL lens successfully for around $250, but the DRL bulb has to be LED. I'm not doing the resistor bull$hit (a stupid-ass moron who thought wasting energy was an ok solution). I came up with a logic board that shifts the load to … (a TS).. during turning, but still in the testing phase.

I would love to see your DRL lens. I have them in stock and sell them for 200$ 180$ to forum members about my cost after several thousand in set up fees. I only have a few left and will not be getting any more. I do a lot of printing parts in many materials along with some cnc and work with resins. I and have not seen anything clear printed that looked useable. Would love to share information and learn from you.
CCclark has a vast knowledge of electronics I have been told but I think he is over on his own XLR forum where he can delete all the posts he does not agree with.

We should talk. I have a circuit that re-routes drl and turn signal actions to white and amber elements of an LED bulb. The resistor part isn’t stupid in an OEM situation, it’s a clever way to check for a burned out bulb. The hyperflash is actually a DOT requirement if the bulb is bad, and LEDs consume less current and look like bad bulbs to the system. If you have an idea to reduce current usage, again, we should talk. I haven’t shared my design ONLY because of fears that if someone’s turn signal fails and he gets hurt, well, I don’t want to be part of that!

DRL Lens Front.jpg
It looks the same as the original, but with low heat tolerance. ~130F max.

Physics 301: Electromagnetism and circuity design. First rule, never design a circuit that is energy inefficient. Clever is a 0.7 mA circuit design to control the DRL. Not waste 1.5 to 2Ah continually with a dumb resistor.

Physics 301: Electromagnetism and circuity design. First rule, never design a circuit that is energy inefficient. Clever is a 0.7 mA circuit design to control the DRL. Not waste 1.5 to 2Ah continually with a dumb resistor.

I’m just saying that in 2004-9, the commercially available light sources to meet the brightness requirements were incandescent and 18W. By law, when a lamp burns out, there has to be an indication of either a warning lamp or flash blink. They met that requirement by monitoring lamp current.

Today, LED options exist, but they will give false errors unless you burn up similar current in a resistor. In our case, the advantage is moving that heat away from the lens.

My earlier reply was meant to be that if you have an idea how to fool the Cadillac sensing circuit without just burning current as heat, maybe we could collaborate. If your idea isn’t vetted yet, maybe I can help and maybe you’d be interested in my circuit if you’re already committed to the modification.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom