Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Really weird problem

josua

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Raven Black xlr 2009 sts4
Full tank of gas. Take a trip, everything's fine. So I'm driving and the gas gauge gets down to a little above half. All of a sudden the fuel gauge drops to below E and "Service fuel system" warning shows on readout. Shortly after, the engine quits running. Drift off the road and try to restart it and the motor cranks but won't start. Get a guy to get two gallons of gas and it fires right up. Go to a gas station and fill it up. It takes like 9 or 10 gallons. Now the fuel gauge reads full and the car runs great. When I filled it up and started it, no "service fuel system" alert. Travel down the road and it does it again. As long as I don't let it get that low, there's no problem. I'm not familiar with the fuel system. Does it have 2 fuel tanks? Does it have a crossover line? But that wouldn't explain the service fuel system warning and the gauge dropping to E. Long shot maybe but when the fuel level sensor drops below E, does it turn off the fuel pump? Makes for a lot of fuel stops. Not cool. Has anybody ever heard of this?

The fuel pump not only pumps fuel, the fuel level sensor is attached to it and the pcm uses the data to drive the gage on your dash. You seem to be having a problem with both the gage and pump. Each can have problems independently.

What year is your car, can you pull the Powertrain (p) codes and state whether its current or history. The service fuel system message is an indication that a code has been set. That code will help us diagnose your problem. There are parts places like AutoBarn that will check your codes. If your car is newer than about 2005 it has a CAN network. Report P codes here

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Full tank of gas. Take a trip, everything's fine. So I'm driving and the gas gauge gets down to a little above half. All of a sudden the fuel gauge drops to below E and "Service fuel system" warning shows on readout. Shortly after, the engine quits running. Drift off the road and try to restart it and the motor cranks but won't start. Get a guy to get two gallons of gas and it fires right up. Go to a gas station and fill it up. It takes like 9 or 10 gallons. Now the fuel gauge reads full and the car runs great. When I filled it up and started it, no "service fuel system" alert. Travel down the road and it does it again. As long as I don't let it get that low, there's no problem. I'm not familiar with the fuel system. Does it have 2 fuel tanks? Does it have a crossover line? But that wouldn't explain the service fuel system warning and the gauge dropping to E. Long shot maybe but when the fuel level sensor drops below E, does it turn off the fuel pump? Makes for a lot of fuel stops. Not cool. Has anybody ever heard of this?
I had this issue. Because the car is so small with a V8 engine it does have two 9 gallon tanks with the main fuel pump in the left tank. The right side failed on mine. Sounds like the same issue with yours.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

This could be an expensive fix. If it's tanks or a tank need to be dropped the whole rear end has to come out, they did this to my 05 just to repair the gas gauge (no running problems) about 2 years go. Don't remember cost because my Aftermarket warranty covered it but thinking around 2 grand! [emoji849] Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your tanks need repaired, take it to an independent repair shop that works on Corvettes. Dealerships will want to do it by the book and will charge you twice as much.

Do you help set of the car says service soon obligated mean weird

Do you help set of the car says service soon obligated mean weird

REALLY WEIRD PROBLEM

Morning all....Had main fuel pump on left side go last year ...did a thread on my journey about that..when dropped the tank..had contaminents ,so changed both pumps and lines..total cost @dealer close to $5000.00..Extended warrantee only covered main fuel pump and what goes along with it...cost ...around $ 3000.00/labor ..Balance was my responsibility....Give you an idea of the cost...

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back