Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rebuild an 2008 XLR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Duck

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V Alpine
I just bought a 2008 XLR V with <10000 miles on it and the engine started knocking. :-( Upon draining the oil I found "sparkles" in it and after dropping the windage tray I found play in #1&2 rod bearings. I put a crate engine w/supercharger in the car but I would like to get the engine rebuilt, if possible, since the rest of the car does not even look like it has driven through so much as a puddle.
I am located ~35 mi WSW of Dallas Ft.Worth. Do you know of a reputable shop that can do rebuilds on this engine?
I am trying to dino the new setup but can not figure out how to make a run locked in to 4th gear. It keeps wanting to downshift when I stab it in 4th. ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD DE DEEPLY APPRECIATED!!! ;-)
Thank you for your consideration.
Bruce Hatch
bhatch@saber.net
(707)972-5555

Last edited:
Highly recommend Tim Carroll, just north of Dallas. Info can be found on his website carrollcustomcadillac.com

Carroll Custom

Let us know how this goes. I came across vendor and reached out and never heard anything back. I am very interested in pushing this little engine as far as it can go and I've heard good things about the vendor but can't seem to get ahold of them...

No one wants to talk

Let us know how this goes. I came across vendor and reached out and never heard anything back. I am very interested in pushing this little engine as far as it can go and I've heard good things about the vendor but can't seem to get ahold of them...

If you tried to get in touch with carrollcustomcadillac.com I have not been able to contact them either. It looks like Cadillac. Left us hanging in the engine compartment as well as the tires for our car. Not nice for your premier enthusiasts.

If any one can help with a re-engine builder, please help.
Big Duck

Working on my 2008 XLR V Progress? PLEASE HELP WITH DINO QUESTION

I bought a new crate engine w/super charger and put it in, retaining the original, and am back on the road. I have been trying to establish phone communication with Tim Carroll since June with no luck..Got some texts saying that he would love to work on the engine and would get in touch shortly a week ago but has never called as I have requested of him.
I am trying to dino the new setup but can not figure out how to make a run locked in 4th gear. It keeps wanting to downshift when I stab it in 4th. ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD DE DEEPLY APPRECIATED!!! ;-)
BTW: Tim Carroll said that he is in an upcoming CarFix episode re; his head bolts and their install. Should be interesting.

"Big duck
i would think if you move your shift selector left and shift it once with the + then get it in forth with + it would stay in fourth. I may be full of it ,but that is what I would try. I had mine on the Dino and I think they just run the gears out. (Four wheel Dino)
Bob
ps I would think if that wouldn't work you would need a tech2 to hold fourth. :dunno:

Thank you for the advice.

We will try a Tech2. In 4th gear it still down shifts when you stab it for the run.

Couple things... although Carroll Customs is my namesake, I don'the consider him the best (just my humble opinion as a current Cadillac Eldorado moderator on another forum ) Another alternative is Northstar Performance out of Canada, but he stays pretty busy this time of year.

About the dyno run, manual mode does not downshift. If you're downshifting you're not in manual mode. And if you think you have to stab the accelerator for a good run , you're wrong. If it's a engine tuner telling you this stuff...RUN Away. I'm on my 6th tune right now with a race tune, street tune, drag tune, and highway tune. We never stab the throttle because it throws the graphs off when building boost.

Last edited:
Try North Texas Performance

You might try North Texas Performance. 2829 Sea Harbor, Dallas 75212. Phone 214-724-3246. I haven't personally used these folks, but they come highly recommended.

Ditto regarding Jake

Stabbing the accelerator is forcing a downshift which in itself is ok, it should upshift again at some point. The NS PCM based on my discissions with Jake will limit torque. Your PCM probably needs modification with increased engine output, its protecting itself, is my guess.

I would recommend Jake fully. Contact him direct and discuss the issues.

Jake knows his stuff, I am not sure if he is up to 2008 yet, but he will understand the issues and be able to direct you.

There is also a guy named AJ, if he is the same guy, he has been around for quite a while and he is into PCM mods. Ill research more and come back.

Mike, staff member at caddyinfo.com

Found out how to do it.

Found out how to do it using the manual shift mode. Once in manual and is shifted into 3th, got it to do what it should. I am afraid the problem was a loose nut behind the steering wheel. :chuckle Learn something new every day!:thumbsup

Update
Proper procedure is;
Select 3rd in the Tech2, then select manual on the shifter, then 3rd gear with the shifter. Then disable traction control, then make the pull and it should work.

Last edited:
Carroll Custom Cadillac

I just bought a 2008 XLR V with <10000 miles on it and the engine started knocking. :-( Upon draining the oil I found "sparkles" in it and after dropping the windage tray I found play in #1&2 rod bearings. I put a crate engine w/supercharger in the car but I would like to get the engine rebuilt, if possible, since the rest of the car does not even look like it has driven through so much as a puddle.
I am located ~35 mi WSW of Dallas Ft.Worth. Do you know of a reputable shop that can do rebuilds on this engine?
I am trying to dino the new setup but can not figure out how to make a run locked in to 4th gear. It keeps wanting to downshift when I stab it in 4th. ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD DE DEEPLY APPRECIATED!!! ;-)
Thank you for your consideration.
Bruce Hatch
bhatch@saber.net
(707)972-5555

Hello,
I have read this thread and would like to reply on my defense.
First; I am the most busy man you will ever meet with more Cadillacs on my plate then any average mechanic shop, I am not just a local company, but a company that serves people around the entire globe!
Yes my company and products were on Velocity TV just more added to my already overwhelming workload! I try to help everyone who needs us and I apologize for you falling thru the cracks of several thousand people who contacts us consistently.

Most people don't realize the amount of calls coming thru and it is not my intentions to ever overlook anyone.
BUT! It happens and some people get angry rather then continuing to make contact until we can assist you too!

It is equally not fair to read inaccurate false statements here on this forum! If you do not know me? If you have never spoke to me on the phone, maybe not even a text or email? Then say things you know nothing about? It isn't fair. You may even be the reason the next owner loses their car because they are now worried over something that has never happened. That my friends is very unfair to me, but extremely unfair to those who need us.

There is only two men on earth who produce Head Studs for you engines, and we are not enemies! Jake an I are friends and everyone who is not aware needs to understand this and stop taking sides or downing either of us! We are here to give to you what you can't find nowhere else on earth and if Jake and I are friends why continue?

Awhile back Jake an I had a falling out, but that has been over for a long time so please end what you say about us or don't say anything at all.
We would like to continue helping all of you with your engine, but if we decide it is no longer worth the strife put forth like this, why should we even continue?
This morning I read Jake's Facebook, (I encourage you all to read it too!) he wrote about things that are identical to me and my business.
We are both the same type of people, so love you car and use either of us for it! Jake and I stand behind each other today and we would love to see all of you do it too!

Now, if you still want to contact me over your XLR your welcome too and I will be the same friend to you as the thousands before you!
As most Cadillac enthusiast know; I specialize in the XLR in extreme ways and I am sure that is why I was your choice?
The 4.4 the LH2 are two incredible motors and I specialize in their high performance and do many things such as increasing the pulley for the charger to get that extra boost etc... I love these cars and enjoy seeing my XLR clients smile or write me years later to compliment me for what I gave them! So just because a few people out of ,millions world wide say something harsh does not reflect on who I am or what I do for you? Neither does it reflect on Jake?

Two men, two companies, we do this because we want too! It is my hope we can put all of it behind us and give to you all equally and always with kindness!
If I have done something to any of you I am not aware of? The please except my apology.

I will post more later, but please everyone if you would like to meet me and understand how I operate then come here and do so? Your all welcome, just don't come all at once! LOL
I care about all of you, even those who wrote bad things when they don't know anything about me or this killer custom Cadillac company.

God Bless you all, Tim Carroll
CEO/Senior Engineer
Carroll Custom Cadillac

Carroll Custom Cadillac

Couple things... although Carroll Customs is my namesake, I don'the consider him the best (just my humble opinion as a current Cadillac Eldorado moderator on another forum ) Another alternative is Northstar Performance out of Canada, but he stays pretty busy this time of year.

About the dyno run, manual mode does not downshift. If you're downshifting you're not in manual mode. And if you think you have to stab the accelerator for a good run , you're wrong. If it's a engine tuner telling you this stuff...RUN Away. I'm on my 6th tune right now with a race tune, street tune, drag tune, and highway tune. We never stab the throttle because it throws the graphs off when building boost.

Do you know me? If not how about you make a time to visit me and watch what I do?
I specialize in the XLR with absolute success and some of the fastest XLR's and perfected engine builds!!!!
I can't figure out why anyone would take the time to disgrace me or my awesome company with thousands upon thousands of satisfied clients stretching around the Globe!
My Studs reside in a few thousand cars from the states to many other countries with 100% success rate!
I give a Lifetime warranty against my studs failing and pay out of pocket to make sure I know what went wrong if it ever did, to date no actual stud has failed! I consider that to be one of the best in mechanical engineering successes of all time! So how is it so easy to disgrace me in a public forum?

You mentioned Jake; he is my friend and was before we had a falling out so please, as I asked everyone, please stop! We both do the exact same thing and both companies are equal in every aspect, we just want to help you, and we love these cars and the Northstars.
I don't apparently know you or maybe I do, but there is no excuse for what you wrote, I ask you out of kindness to have respect for both Jake an I, as the men who make repairing your Northstars possible!
Without us, you would all be in a mess! And your beautiful cars would be worthless after failure, we just want peace between all of us! Do your part and be kind.

We are in fact one of the best in Cadillac mechanics, with more Cadillacs under my belt then I care to number, it sucks to see stuff like this when we work so hard to make owning a Cadillac a true dream for all who love them.

Thank you, Tim Carroll
CEO/Senior Engineer
Carroll Custom Cadillac

Thanks Tim!

I have never talked to you Tim. I have never come to you for service. I only know you from these posts. Rest assured if I ever need your expertise for my XLR I will pay whatever it takes to transport my 05 XLR to your shop based entirely on your frankness and honesty. I live in western Tennessee but have no concern about bringing my car your way. Thanks for building my confidence. You have turned my blood pressure down by reassuring that there is still someone out there willing to keep my car on the road. Thanks again!

Carroll Custom Cadillac

I wanted to reach out to you as well! I apologize for the workload that has prevented me from getting with you.
If you would like to drive up lets schedule a new date and I will Prioritize your appointment.
A lot has happened here and I was too busy! My wife had Knee replacement surgery and I have double my work by taking care of her and doing her house chores before starting work, and after! She just had second major foot reconstruction surgery and I am doing the best I can between all of it! It is serious, she has metal rods stuck straight thru two toes deep into the foot, I can't even look at it, LOL

Anyhow, I am here and I am pulling thru the workload so please, contact me again, call, or email and lets see how we can boost your XLR, if not I understand, just make sure no matter what you do? Use Studs! Mine or Jake's?

Beware

I have never talked to you Tim. I have never come to you for service. I only know you from these posts. Rest assured if I ever need your expertise for my XLR I will pay whatever it takes to transport my 05 XLR to your shop based entirely on your frankness and honesty. I live in western Tennessee but have no concern about bringing my car your way. Thanks for building my confidence. You have turned my blood pressure down by reassuring that there is still someone out there willing to keep my car on the road. Thanks again!

Whatever you do, do extensive research before you engage with ANYONE to fix your XLR, scour the net for complaints, speak to former customers, watch the YOUTUBE videos with your experienced mechanic and don't listen to rhetoric, look at performance of an engine builder, his ability to deliver ON TIME, an engine that has been TESTED BEFORE it goes out the door and whatever you do, NEVER pay the FULL bill until the engine is delivered. NEVER pay the bill in FULL before you have notice from the shipper in the form of a tracking number that it has been shipped. ASK for and receive a DETAILED receipt with all parts itemized, and a copy of the warranty. In addition, before you engage, have your attorney read the warranty to see if its worth the paper its written on. Only pay the bill in a manner that you have RECOURSE, use VISA, MC or PAYPAL, so that when you get the engine back, and it leaks, the cams are installed wrong, or the front seal leaks you have legal recourse. One other thing, if a shop states 4 weeks, it should be 4 weeks NOT 3 months or 2 years. I have heard of owners paying for these jobs in FULL foolishly and the job dragging on for months and years and then when they get it back they have coolant, oil and tranny leaks, flickering oil lights, parts fallng off, electrical connectors left off or they don't get it back at all. Some even get the wrong engine back!!! All they get is promises, and they are told they are getting extra when they get nothing.

Also, record your engine and transmission numbers, mark the heads and cams, I have heard of wrong engines going out and parts being swapped. In one case it as suspected that the tranny was swapped out for an inferior tranny.

Some of these guys when they get your money, their whole attitude changes.

Speak to your attorney and find out what the law is, should the company be registered in the state. What is your recourse if the deal goes south. Is there a state consumer protection department, what are their laws and remedies? Is it possible for a third party to escrow the funds until the engine is started and run successfully. This all may seem like overkill, but I have heard of a TON of disasters, losses, and situations where the owner needed to spend thousands to FIX a so called rebuilt engine.

Be careful with your car. I will say it again, I know JAKE 10 years, he is a good person and does a good job, does he have delivery problems at times yes, but that is because he is a small shop, but don't let ANYONE tell you that JAKE does a bad job. Call him on the phone and speak to him. HE, will speak to you immediately. But check him out also!

Just remember something, where there is smoke there is FIRE, if you see complaints out there, believe them. One owner with a problem OK, maybe its a personality conflict, 10 owners out there with problems with a company's job performance and product they deliver, is a definate problem, and not a fluke, its trouble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry