Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

removal of side panel

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
How do I remove the metal panel, {on the driver's door,} that has the air vent, lock/unlock, Mirror adjustment., and windows up/down?? The driver's air flow adjuster won't adjust. The thumb wheel turns to and fro, but it is not opening or closing the air vent. Can I just gently pry it off? If I get it off, will the part{S} be available for repair, or is it something that I can repair myself?? Thanks guys!!

removal

Hey,
take the little cover out of where your fingers slid into when opening the door. Under that is a screw - unscrew - start at the bottom of the door and gently pull out - make your way up both the left and right side of the panel - then carefully lift up on the panel while gently pulling toward you - then unplug all the electronics - I believe the panel has a few little tabs you need to compress to get the unit to pop out. Removing the door panel is really quite easy. This way you will also not risk gouging the panel trying to get the selector unit out - good luck
schmidt:thumbsup

Hey,
take the little cover out of where your fingers slid into when opening the door. Under that is a screw - unscrew - start at the bottom of the door and gently pull out - make your way up both the left and right side of the panel - then carefully lift up on the panel while gently pulling toward you - then unplug all the electronics - I believe the panel has a few little tabs you need to compress to get the unit to pop out. Removing the door panel is really quite easy. This way you will also not risk gouging the panel trying to get the selector unit out - good luck
schmidt:thumbsup
Actually, if you mean the rubber cover at the "door closing pull," there are 2 hex head cap screws under it there. Is that what you mean? I.E. remove the door panel and then I can get at the metal panel from the inside of the door. Thanks!!!!

yes - that is odd - I just went in the garage and looked at mine - one screw.....[/QUOT
I had the r'door panel off to repair the door open push button. There were 2 hex head bolts about 3/4" long (under the small piece of rubber that covers them) where you fingers would be when you pull the door shut. You say you have only 1? that would put a lot of strain on the panel when you pull the door shut.Are we talking about the same place??

Hi Steve, well i did take a better look today - I am missing one of the two screws....who knew...thanks for the follow up with me you helped me out!!
Scott:thumbsup

Hi Steve, well i did take a better look today - I am missing one of the two screws....who knew...thanks for the follow up with me you helped me out!!
Scott:thumbsup

I'm glad that I could help you as you and others have helped me. That's what this forum is all about. Happy new year to all!

funny

you are missing one and every time I work on a car I have boxes of bolts left over. That crazy GM. they always put extras on the car.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom