Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Replace small marker bulb near headlight

SanDiegoXLR

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Platinum with Shale
Hi everyone, I recently noticed that the small marker bulb next to one of my
headlights no longer lights up.

According to the Sylvania Auto Lamp Replacement Guide, I'm pretty sure it's the: Front sidemarker, 2825 bulb.
The color from this bulb is the regular old-fashioned yellowish/white halogen color.

I've attached pics of the side that works, and the side where the bulb has burned out.

I opened the hood and tried to pry out the bulb from behind, but didn't have much luck.
Any ideas on how to remove it? Does it simply twist out? Are there clips holding it in place?
I'd love to replace both sides with LED bulbs to give it a more modern look (esp since they are right next to the modern looking HID headlights).

Thanks,
Mark
2005 Silver XLR

p.s. I'm not referring to the orange daytime running lights/turn signals. That's a whole different story since mine are the lovely melted plastic kind. :mad: And the car is off of warranty (2005 model).

You have remove the headlight assembly. To do this, remove the tire & wheel, then remove the access panel in front of the tire - there are several screws. Once the access panel is removed, there are three bolts holding the headlamp assembly to the apron assembly. Remove these and then pull out the headlaight assembly - be careful not to scratch the bumper cover while removing the headlight. Maybe place a thin towel on the bumper cover while removing the headlight. You will now have access to the bulb. It seems nothing is simple on these cars... but they sure are FUN to own!!!

Thanks

Thanks for the instructions. Wow, that's a MAJOR ordeal just to change a small bulb. I'm tempted to just cut the wire on the side that works, and then at least it will be balanced "no lights" on both sides....and I'll never have to change them again.
I don't even understand what purpose these lights serve anyways.

I think they are the daytime running lights?? It really not that big of a job... maybe 1/2 hour 45 minutes at the most. Not a lot of time... especially if you replace with LED's...
Mine haven't burned out yet... but when they do, I'll be looking at LED replacements.

I don't have a jack...so that makes it tough! Could borrow a friend's, but have heard horror stories about messing up the lower side panel. I hear there's some sort of rubber pads used on Corvette's to protect the jackpoint, but another part to have to buy. UGH!! All of this for just for 1 tiny bulb.

On another tangent-I bought LED bulbs to replace my rear licence plate and reverse lights....started removing all the trim panels in the trunk according to the dealer shop manual, but much more complicated than I thought it would be. Wasn't worth messing up the top mechanism, so I gave up on that project.

The only easy bulbs to change are the fog lights and interior bulbs!

How true... too bad we didn't realize this BEFORE we purchased!! But all in all... it's well worth it!! Dontcha think??

jack issue

a standard hockey puck you get at any sporting goods store works great for jacking the car up - very inexpensive.

LIGHT REPLACEMENT

I replaced the same bulb and you don`t have to remove the wheel. Just turn the tire to one side and you will have plenty of room. No jack issues, no tire removals problems.

Hi Tyrone, thanks for the tip!
How did you remove the bulb? Does it snap out from behind? Or does it twist out? Are there any clips holding it in place?

I replaced the same bulb and you don`t have to remove the wheel. Just turn the tire to one side and you will have plenty of room. No jack issues, no tire removals problems.

He's right. You don't have to jack up the car or remove the wheel. I was just in that part of my car messing with the headlight washer cover, very easy to get to.

Side light

The bulb is in a socket that twists out of the housing and the bulb just comes out. EEEEEasy.

I think they are the daytime running lights?? It really not that big of a job... maybe 1/2 hour 45 minutes at the most. Not a lot of time... especially if you replace with LED's...
Mine haven't burned out yet... but when they do, I'll be looking at LED replacements.
Hi,they are side marker lights.

I don't even understand what purpose these lights serve anyways.

These lights are called "running" lights, or "parking" lights. Since you don't have any amber lights that are lit up when the headlights are on, these are the lights that illuminate when you turn on the Parking Lights or Headlights. They are not the side marker lights (those are located in the Amber area on the side of the headlight housing). I replaced mine with LED - I too, didn't like the yellowish color against the HID white headlights. Like everyone else says - once you get in there, they are a breeze to replace. Good luck.

Thanks for the great tips.
Dave- do you remember which LED vendor and part # you used?

Hi all.....I turned my wheel to the side, removed the 3 trim clips, pulled back the wheel well plastic and still couldn't access them. I could feel 2 long bolts (I guess these are for adjusting the HID bulbs), but there's a hard plastic piece stopping me from being able to reach up to get to the marker bulb.
I wondering if we are talking about the same bulbs since they aren't close to the headlight washer nozzle.

As an alternative method, I tried popping the hood, and could reach into the headlight area....I could feel the wires connected to the marker bulb, but could get it to twist free....it's in there really tight. Even if I could get it out, I'm not so sure I could get the new one in.....d'oh!!!
Really strange how they've made these so hard to get to.

Side marker lights

I removed the front splash shield completely, layed on the floor and I was able to reach all three of the mounting bolts that hold the head light assembly on the car. After all the three nuts are removed from the bolts, you lift, carefully, the light assembly still with the wire harness attach up from the bumper cover. Put some painter`s blue tape on the bumper cover to prevent any scratches from the bolts. The side light socket just twists and unlocks from the light pod. Once you do this , you will see how simple it really is. Have alittle faith baby.

I have small hands as I was able to access the bulb socket from the hole where you adjust the head light. It's really tight but I was able to turn the holder in the socket then pull the bulb out and plug in the new one. I didn't remove anything. It's doable! If you don't have small hands get one of the kids in your neighborhood to do it for you for a couple of bucks. They have smaller hands them me and that would be a snap for them.

Good Luck!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back