Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Replacement OF RUNFLAT TIRES for the XLR-V

Cadzilla

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red Metallic XLR-V
My dealer found 2 new correct Pirelli runflats for my front wheels in January. I find I now need the rear tires replaced. I wish now that they hadn't replaced the fronts because now I'm having great difficulty finding compatible tires for the rear. I'm told using the same size on the rear as the front (235/45/19) is NOT recommended. Has anyone had any experience with PZero RFT's for the rear wheels of their 'V'? Those are the closest I've come. Help!!!

you only just did this in january?
so the front tires are like new...
i would replace all 4 tires with the same size
255/40-19. based on this thread.
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...ont-tire-size-change.html?highlight=tire+size
so you can rotate , and easier to find.
my preference would be NON run flats, for all around better performance. but see what you can find if you have to have run flats.
sell off the barely used fronts. someone will want the run flats in that size. they are hard to find, as you know...

tirerack
has a bunch of non run flats from
hankooks in the $175 price range
conti extreme DWS $213
pirelli etc
the price savings is huge over the run flats.
huge selection.
huge performance gain over run flats too.

i personally have no problem switching to non run flats.
this is not my daily driver, and i just dont get flats often enough to worry about it.

that p zero ?? has a 220 wear rating and costs $320 !!! holy $hit batman, thats crazy!!!
there are non run flats
pirelli pzero nero GT 280 wear $196
pzero nero all season 400 wear $189
there are a bunch of other tires besides pirelli that would fit the bill too...

how hard do you drive ? do you need that soft and sticky of a tire ?? are you the type who needs every ounce of grip, or mostly pleasure cruisin ???

Last edited:
you could switch the rears to non run flat now, and when those front pirellis wear out in a year, switch them to match the rears, in size and brand/model

Big thanks, Lextoy

you could switch the rears to non run flat now, and when those front pirellis wear out in a year, switch them to match the rears, in size and brand/model
You are a wealth of info & helpful hints. I have noted from several sources that non run-flats provide a better ride & less road noise. And they are, of course, much easier to find and probably less expensive. I DID find a new 255/40-19 for the rear and for only $100. dollars, mounted. He expects to have another in 1 or 2 weeks, then all 4 tires will be new run-flats. I understand your reasoning for preferring NON run-flats, but changing or repairing a flat on the road would be very difficult for this aging arthritic road warrior. I'm counting on it that you were exaggerating when you implied my new Pirelli's would need replacing in a year. The old ones lasted much longer, thank the powers that be. I drive my 'V' just over 2K miles per year with 'purpose', but rarely execute 4 wheel power-drifts through the corners. So, I don't really require the sticky Pirelli's for performance. With me, it's a security/convenience 'thang'. I have also been told twice, when asking about using 235/45-19's on all four corners, that it is not recommended. I may be less enthused about keeping the tires original if they remain so scarce.
One last thought: My Cadillac service rep and also one of the tire shop owners told me that Perelli is seriously considering resuming the manufacture of these tires. We shall see.
Thanks again for your input.

Last edited:
sooo, that 220 wear rated run flat, if its of the same type i saw on tirerack, will last 12k to 18k miles,
for you that will be many years:)
for $100 ? that is a great price, for such a price i would go that route as well.
you are correct you cannot use the 235/45 tire on the rears wheels
but you can use the rear size 255/40, on the fronts.
so you know, all 4 rims are identical in size, width/diameter/offset etc.
only the tires are slightly smaller in front/bigger in back.

at 2k miles a year , you wont have to deal with the tire problem again for many years,
hopefully by then there are some more options

Last edited:
Hello Lextoy

sooo, that 220 wear rated run flat, if its of the same type i saw on tirerack, will last 12k to 18k miles,
for $100 ? that is a great price, for such a price i would go that route as well.
you are correct you cannot use the 235/45 tire on the rears wheels
but you can use the rear size 255/40, on the fronts.
so you know, all 4 rims are identical in size, width/diameter/offset etc.
only the tires are slightly smaller in front/bigger in back.

at 2k miles a year , you wont have to deal with the tire problem again for many years,

HA! Yep, 18k miles will give me about 9 more years of 'V' driving. And, by then, they'll probably take my fob away from me, anyway. If I can find it. Or maybe I'll slip into an ATS convertible on the Alpha platform..........nah. Too stubby and it's a soft-top. If Cadillac isn't going to go for another luxury roadster, I wish they'd at least build a convertible on a CTS or CT6 wheelbase. An Eldorado, perhaps? Saw the new Buick drop-top on the road, today. I'll pass on that one.
Glad to learn about the 255/40's will work front in AND in back. Thanks, again.

Last edited:

maybe he should try and wait on these Goodyears!!!:laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSFYwDDVgac

Tires for XLR

I've never had a car with run-flat tires and was surprised to learn that I still don't. I've had my 2005 XLR for over a year and realize there is no place on board for a spare tire (or a full size suitcase). Soooo....we call a tow truck for any flat tire? Has anyone seen what happens to these tires when you get a flat while in motion. It seems to me you can kiss off the tire and probably the wheel too? My trusted tire guy tells me run-flats all the way around will cost me about half of what I paid for the car! Maybe the Continental Kit will come back in fashion??? I appreciate comments.

Hi Odtekman

I've never had a car with run-flat tires and was surprised to learn that I still don't. I've had my 2005 XLR for over a year and realize there is no place on board for a spare tire (or a full size suitcase). Soooo....we call a tow truck for any flat tire? Has anyone seen what happens to these tires when you get a flat while in motion. It seems to me you can kiss off the tire and probably the wheel too? My trusted tire guy tells me run-flats all the way around will cost me about half of what I paid for the car! Maybe the Continental Kit will come back in fashion??? I appreciate comments.

Yes, I experienced a recent flat while driving. An alarm chime sounded and the info screen advised me that my right rear tire was flat and I should limit my speed to less than 55mph. The car handled fairly normally and there was some minor noise increase from the tire. The tire and the car remained undamaged. I drove to my dealer for a repair, but I'm replacing both rear tires. If you have regular non run-flat tires you're going to want to carry a kit to inflate and/or repair a flat. Otherwise, you're right; you'll be calling someone to truck your car to the dealer or a tire repair shop.
P.S. May I suggest side mounted tires vs that continental kit? :))
Cadzilla

Last edited:
Yes, I experienced a recent flat while driving. An alarm chime sounded and the info screen advised me that my right rear tire was flat and I should limit my speed to less than 55mph. The car handled fairly normally and there was some minor noise increase from the tire. The tire and the car remained undamaged. I drove to my dealer for a repair, but I'm replacing both rear tires. If you have regular non run-flat tires you're going to want to carry a kit to inflate and/or repair a flat. Otherwise, you're right; you'll be calling someone to truck your car to the dealer or a tire repair shop.
P.S. May I suggest side mounted tires vs that continental kit? :))
Cadzilla

I went with the Continental DWS. The improvement in the ride is substantial. No spare is a little like living on the edge, but I've been doing that for over 4 years with my Regal GS. Just watch closely for slow leaks and avoid curbs.

Unbelievable Difference.

I went with the Continental DWS. The improvement in the ride is substantial. No spare is a little like living on the edge, but I've been doing that for over 4 years with my Regal GS. Just watch closely for slow leaks and avoid curbs.

So finally, after much back and forth nail biting and teeth gnashing, I pulled the trigger over at Tire Rack and purchased 4 Continental Extreme Contact DW's and had my guys over at Firestone Auto Center mount them. Oh my goodness what a world of difference over the Pirelli Eufori's that were on the car when I got it. I did follow the guidance of others in this forum who went with the 255/40R19 all the way around. All I can say is WOW. The ride is amazing. It's like a different car altogether. I wish I had done it a year ago. :D

Attachments

• 20160323_215051242_iOS.jpg
    20160323_215051242_iOS.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 637
  • 20160323_215024456_iOS.jpg
    20160323_215024456_iOS.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 633
  • 20160323_215014082_iOS.jpg
    20160323_215014082_iOS.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 648
  • 20160323_215002407_iOS.jpg
    20160323_215002407_iOS.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 642
  • 20160323_214951699_iOS.jpg
    20160323_214951699_iOS.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 600
So finally, after much back and forth nail biting and teeth gnashing, I pulled the trigger over at Tire Rack and purchased 4 Continental Extreme Contact DW's and had my guys over at Firestone Auto Center mount them. Oh my goodness what a world of difference over the Pirelli Eufori's that were on the car when I got it. I did follow the guidance of others in this forum who went with the 255/40R19 all the way around. All I can say is WOW. The ride is amazing. It's like a different car altogether. I wish I had done it a year ago. :D
I appreciate your input & update. The more I hear about the profound improvement on the ride the non run-flats provide, the more I weaken on maintaining my set of Pirelli Eufori's. But, I have $1200 invested in them, so it's a tough decision. BTW, what are you using in lieu of a spare or do-nut in case of a flat?
Cadzilla,
P.S. I enjoyed the pics of your gorgeous black raven 'V'. My previous XLR (base) was black. Mighty fine.

i have been looking at the continental DWS for Dry Wet Snow. it is an all season tire, very good reviews.
i didnt know they made a summer tire DW, for just Dry Wet.
anyone comment on road noise with the DWS since its got the extra tread for the Snow ?
i like the wear rating of the DWS(560) vs the DW(340)
but the XLR is never gonna see snow and in reality only gets a few thousand miles a year,
so wear rating isnt a big problem either...
ride quality/ performance is my main concern with my tire purchase for this car.
so i think i am leaning towards the DW.

cadzilla,
are there even potholes in palm springs;)
the roads have got to be 1000% better than here in pennsylvania.

I appreciate your input & update. The more I hear about the profound improvement on the ride the non run-flats provide, the more I weaken on maintaining my set of Pirelli Eufori's. But, I have $1200 invested in them, so it's a tough decision. BTW, what are you using in lieu of a spare or do-nut in case of a flat?
Cadzilla,
P.S. I enjoyed the pics of your gorgeous black raven 'V'. My previous XLR (base) was black. Mighty fine.

Thanks Cadzilla. Love my baby and try to keep her in tip-top shape. Honestly, my spare tire program is mainly a daily sacrifice to the Tire Gods and a paid up AAA membership. I don't take the car much further than 50 miles from home. And I haven't had a flat tire in years. Livin on the edge! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have been looking at the continental DWS for Dry Wet Snow. it is an all season tire, very good reviews.
anyone comment on road noise with the DWS since its got the extra tread for the Snow ?
but the XLR is never gonna see snow and in reality only gets a few thousand miles a year,
ride quality/ performance is my main concern with my tire purchase for this car.

Exactly my thinking Lextoy. I've been looking exclusively at Summer "Max Performance" category from the beginning. I live in SoCal and the car only gets about 3500 miles a year and NEVER sees the rain.

I've only had them in since this morning, but so far I can't recommend the Conti's high enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced the rear tires on my base XLR with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 and I am very happy with these. I use a tire inflator kit just in case and like others, AAA gold to tow me wherever I need to go. Chances of a tire shop of carrying 235/50R18s or even more hard to find 19s means you will be waiting a day to get a replacement in any case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh, I hear your siren song regarding comfy tires, Messrs. Lextoy, Rule 62, and Nerkpowers, but I get nitzie thinking about relying on an inflator and/or repair kit or waiting for a tow when I'm halfway between Palm Springs, CA & Scottsdale, AZ in a 110 degrees cross desert drive to visit with family & friends. It's mighty lonely out there.
BTW, Sir Lextoy, the roads in Palm Springs are pretty free of potholes, but there always seems to be some road repair crews complicating my progress.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom