Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Replacement OF RUNFLAT TIRES for the XLR-V

Cad,
You probably need run flats and I would probably get them too if I drove mine long distances like you do. The choice just comes down to personal preference. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, but information that hopefully helps other members make a choice for themselves.
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cad,
You probably need run flats and I would probably get them too if I drove mine long distances like you do. The choice just comes down to personal preference. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, but information that hopefully helps other members make a choice for themselves.
Tim

Agreed. It's very much a personal choice. But what I find so astounding is just how improved the experience is from one tire to another.

I have two questions regarding the run flats. Are the tires able to be repaired from a simple flat? I have heard different answers from yes to no. If no, with significant miles on the tires, I assume they would recommend replacing both tires in preventing uneven ware. That would be one expensive flat tire.

Anyone ever had a flat with your run flats and what was the outcome?

I have two questions regarding the run flats. Are the tires able to be repaired from a simple flat? I have heard different answers from yes to no. If no, with significant miles on the tires, I assume they would recommend replacing both tires in preventing uneven ware. That would be one expensive flat tire.

Anyone ever had a flat with your run flats and what was the outcome?

Never happened to me, Al. But my tire guy said that the repairable area of a EMT is much narrower than that of a conventional tire because the shoulders play such a pivotal role in keeping them operational. I believe he said you could effectively repair a puncture within 1 - 1.5 inches from center. Anything further than that the tire is toast.

As to the wear issue, I'd assume the same rules apply regardless if you're replacing an EMT or conventional tire.

The Pirelli Euphori's I just replaced were the second set and were purchased and mounted in 2010 with 26000 miles. Keeping in mind the car came from Bakersfield (high desert) so it was probably exposed to some heat. When I replaced them last week the car had 46000 miles on it. The two rears, while both evenly worn, had significant signs of heat stress which my installer said could lead to delamination or catastrophic failure. You couldn't tell until you dismounted them and inspected the inside. Yet another factor that weighed in my decision to go with a uniform size so they can be rotated regularly. :cool:

Never happened to me, Al. But my tire guy said that the repairable area of a EMT is much narrower than that of a conventional tire because the shoulders play such a pivotal role in keeping them operational. I believe he said you could effectively repair a puncture within 1 - 1.5 inches from center. Anything further than that the tire is toast.

As to the wear issue, I'd assume the same rules apply regardless if you're replacing an EMT or conventional tire.

The Pirelli Euphori's I just replaced were the second set and were purchased and mounted in 2010 with 26000 miles. Keeping in mind the car came from Bakersfield (high desert) so it was probably exposed to some heat. When I replaced them last week the car had 46000 miles on it. The two rears, while both evenly worn, had significant signs of heat stress which my installer said could lead to delamination or catastrophic failure. You couldn't tell until you dismounted them and inspected the inside. Yet another factor that weighed in my decision to go with a uniform size so they can be rotated regularly. :cool:

Well you sold me on no run flat tires. What you are telling me, if there's a non repairable run flat tire let's say at 10,000 miles, more than likely you need to purchase 2 tires due to tread ware on the other tire.

The only thing that sold me on getting run flats was a comment by someone who works on XLR's & whose opinion I respect that the front of the XLR is low & easily damaged, & run flats could help protect against that.

That & the fact I must not be living life right because I've had about 3 flats in the last 5 years on my daily driver (not the XLR), one of which couldn't be repaired even though it wasn't a run flat. :bawling:

I get that your "flat karma" may be a little off, but I don't really see the correlation between EMT's and protection for a low front end. Even if you had a blowout at speed it's not like the front end is going to drop to the ground.

My dealer found 2 new correct Pirelli runflats for my front wheels in January. I find I now need the rear tires replaced. I wish now that they hadn't replaced the fronts because now I'm having great difficulty finding compatible tires for the rear. I'm told using the same size on the rear as the front (235/45/19) is NOT recommended. Has anyone had any experience with PZero RFT's for the rear wheels of their 'V'? Those are the closest I've come. Help!!!

Goodyear makes correct size run on flat tires to fit front and rear tires of XLR-V's. They are:
***Goodyear Efficient Grip ! ~ Run On Flat
Rear Tire Size 255/40R19 $291 Speed Rating = Y (186 MPH) Front Tire Size 235/45R19 $193 Speed Rating = V (149 MPH)
Load Index = 100
Load Range = XL
SidewallBlack
Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) = 340/A/A
Max Load (lbs) = 1764
Max Inflation Pressure (PSI) = 50
Approved Rim Width (in.) = 8.5-10.0
Measured Rim Width (in.) = 9.0
Section Width (in.) = 10.2
Tread Depth (in 32nds) = 10
Outside Diameter (in.) = 27.0
Revs Per Mile = 773

Well you sold me on no run flat tires. What you are telling me, if there's a non repairable run flat tire let's say at 10,000 miles, more than likely you need to purchase 2 tires due to tread ware on the other tire.

NO...the electronic stability control has tolerances built in to ignore the small difference. Total tread depth is only 5/8" from new to bald and does not change the outside diameter enough to screw up the electronic stability control system. I have researched in order to know this!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom