Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Right front headlight assembly

Grandma

I am desperately looking for a right from headlight assembly for my 2005 XLR. Much to my dismay, I had a slight accident last Saturday and broke my headlight, bumper and scraped my right fender. My auto body shop has located all the parts for repair but is having an extremely difficult time finding a replacement headlight assembly. A call to GM Cadillac help desk was nothing but a wild goose chase, with totally incorrect information given to me.
Can someone please point me in the right direction? :dunno:

Sad to say, but you'll have to resort to eBay to find a used one, if there are any listed. Headlights have been discontinued for a number of years, and they keep getting scarcer

Unfortunately you've experienced what just about every XLR owner fears. Damage to our cars. I'm more afraid of that than the boogie man. I'd rather go toe to toe with the devil than the bumper of another vehicle and my car. (JK) Best wishes to you in locating what you need. There was another person on here that had parts for these cars. Maybe you can find him.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Found one!!

I found one at www.smcautoparts.com. It was originally for European export XLRs but they will convert it to US regulations. Supposedly I got the last right front one, but they still do have ones for the left side. Even though it's $1650, I feel very lucky to have found it.

Right now there is a used pair on ebay (that look pretty nice) but the seller is asking $4500 each! Really?

I only spent a minute checking, but car-parts.com (specializing in used parts) has a selection of head and tail lights in various conditions for prices that are a little more reasonable.

$4500, besides being out to lunch, (what a greedy, "savy" seller would call "market price") is for people who are looking for a quick, convenient deal, where price isn't a consideration. With a little time and research, there's no reason anybody should be forced to endure extortion paying outrageous prices for discontinued parts. Greed and profit can be mutually exclusive.

While salvage yards are slowly realizing which XLR parts are rare, deals are still out there.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Right now there is a used pair on ebay (that look pretty nice) but the seller is asking $4500 each! Really?

Ridiculous for sure and for non adaptive units, BUT, I was "watching" and just got an e-mail from e-bay that it was sold! UNREAL!

With extortion prices like this it won't be long before insurance companies won't insure them or premiums will be so high we can't afford to drive these cars. After a while it won't be much fun to own one. I love mine but an accident can easily make it a parts car.

Yup

With extortion prices like this it won't be long before insurance companies won't insure them or premiums will be so high we can't afford to drive these cars. After a while it won't be much fun to own one. I love mine but an accident can easily make it a parts car.

This is why I want to manufacture new headlights for this vehicle. Quite a few XLR owner's will pay $4500 or more for a pair of headlights if it means they are able to drive the vehicle again. This lack of part availability is only going to get worse.

I only spent a minute checking, but car-parts.com (specializing in used parts) has a selection of head and tail lights in various conditions for prices that are a little more reasonable.

$4500, besides being out to lunch, (what a greedy, "savy" seller would call "market price") is for people who are looking for a quick, convenient deal, where price isn't a consideration. With a little time and research, there's no reason anybody should be forced to endure extortion paying outrageous prices for discontinued parts. Greed and profit can be mutually exclusive.

While salvage yards are slowly realizing which XLR parts are rare, deals are still out there.

CC :wave:

The Ebay seller you whine about, fully understands the market rules of "Supply and Demand." As a Ebay seller myself, I would have done the exact same thing if the opportunity presented itself to me.

This is why I want to manufacture new headlights for this vehicle. Quite a few XLR owner's will pay $4500 or more for a pair of headlights if it means they are able to drive the vehicle again. This lack of part availability is only going to get worse.

Not the case....the $4500 was for ONE headlight

It's ridiculous because for the cost of 4 of these assemblies at this price you can buy the whole 04 or 05 car (XLR).

It's ridiculous because for the cost of 4 of these assemblies at this price you can buy the whole 04 or 05 car (XLR).

Smoothran, $4500.per headlight is beyond stupid.I would pick a couple of other headlights I liked , maybe a SRX or CTS and go to a body shop that does work on Vettes and have them mold in these new lights. I doubt it would cost $9000. I may even buy a couple of spare lights. I know most don't like this idea as the car wouldn't be original but that wouldn't bother me.
John F.

Smoothran, $4500.per headlight is beyond stupid.I would pick a couple of other headlights I liked , maybe a SRX or CTS and go to a body shop that does work on Vettes and have them mold in these new lights. I doubt it would cost $9000. I may even buy a couple of spare lights. I know most don't like this idea as the car wouldn't be original but that wouldn't bother me.
John F.
I feel you. I was thinking that same thing with the 05 STS. They look identical except for the 4 doors.

The Ebay seller you whine about, fully understands the market rules of "Supply and Demand." As a Ebay seller myself, I would have done the exact same thing if the opportunity presented itself to me.

I think us "whiners" are in the majority. You. . . not so much.

Enjoy your profiteering.

CC :laugh:

Headlights

Ridiculous for sure and for non adaptive units, BUT, I was "watching" and just got an e-mail from e-bay that it was sold! UNREAL!

I looked on ebay, just for giggles. It appears that the $4500 headlight is still for sale. I understand wanting to make some money, but this is just being greedy. Shame on him! (Or her)

nail hit on the head

You are correct as I have posted . Some insurance companies already will not write the car. THat is also the reason I was interested in manufacturing new ones until these guys ran me off the forum. When enough of them total there will be more parts than needed and price will come down.

Ebay listing

I looked on ebay, just for giggles. It appears that the $4500 headlight is still for sale. I understand wanting to make some money, but this is just being greedy. Shame on him! (Or her)
That person was not out to make a buck. They had traded some other model headlight to a friend 4-5 years ago who bought xlr thinking they where for his car. He and was just cleaning up. when they checked to see what they where worth a certain junk yard in North Carolina on the east coast that sells and rebuild xlrs told him they sold them all day long for 4500. They accepted closer to 3500 for the one sold. They where very happy to get that and would most likely take a good offer on the one left

I explained in a previous post what I would do if one of my headlights got smashed. I wanted to buy a second XLR and bought something else instead. The reason being these parts issues. I fully understand the headlight problem is a real issue but I am not going to worry about it until someone hits me and I may get lucky and that never happens.
John F.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back