Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Roof and trunk not working

Bylander

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Passion Red XLR
I am a new member although I have perused this site over the years. I have a 2007 XLR Passion Red with 35,000 miles which I have owned for 3 years. I just wanted to share my story regarding my roof / trunk in which I had a successful outcome, contrary to what I read in several post on this site. Last Spring I noted that when cold, my trunk lid would gradually lower on my head. I ordered some deck struts and than scheduled to have a friend install. He told me that it was an electrical issue and sent me to another repair shop where I was told my pump/motor assembly was bad, but he did not have the Cadillac software needed to diagnosis and repair. I than took it to our local Cadillac dealership in which they verified it, but had never worked on an XLR issue like this . I was told GM no longer makes this part, but they saw a used one on E-bay for $2,500. I went on the internet and discovered Klauss at Top Hydraulics. They sent me out a rebuilt unit within a week that cost me $850 after sending back my core. My local Cadillac dealership installed that as well as the struts for $350 and it rectified my issue. Anyhow kudos to Top Hydraulics and the service they provide. Thank you

thanks for your post .as soon as anyones trunk starts to fall and does not stay up you need to replace the rear struts. they are easy to do and not expensive at all. When they are bad they put excess burden on the pump. Pumps usually do not fail at 35,000 miles . Klaus is very good if you need a pump and reasonable in price .however some issues can be resolved just by checking the pump bypass valve ,new struts and changing the fluid.

I am a new member although I have perused this site over the years. I have a 2007 XLR Passion Red with 35,000 miles which I have owned for 3 years. I just wanted to share my story regarding my roof / trunk in which I had a successful outcome, contrary to what I read in several post on this site. Last Spring I noted that when cold, my trunk lid would gradually lower on my head. I ordered some deck struts and than scheduled to have a friend install. He told me that it was an electrical issue and sent me to another repair shop where I was told my pump/motor assembly was bad, but he did not have the Cadillac software needed to diagnosis and repair. I than took it to our local Cadillac dealership in which they verified it, but had never worked on an XLR issue like this . I was told GM no longer makes this part, but they saw a used one on E-bay for $2,500. I went on the internet and discovered Klauss at Top Hydraulics. They sent me out a rebuilt unit within a week that cost me $850 after sending back my core. My local Cadillac dealership installed that as well as the struts for $350 and it rectified my issue. Anyhow kudos to Top Hydraulics and the service they provide. Thank you
I too am a new owner and member. My 2008 XLR has a problem I have not read about on this site. When I open the trunk with the fob or dash button the trunk rises but then starts to descend onto my head and does so with a little force like it is pulling the trunk lid down. It latches fine. When I put the top into the trunk the lid stays up just fine during the entire performance and when putting the top back up it again is flawless. The dealer said it just needs struts and quoted me sixty bucks and told me they are easy to install. Cadillac dealer in Port Richey Florida. I have my doubts that is the problem. Did your trunk work like this or did it always go up and then close?

If you open the trunk with the trunk button. It should go completely up and stay there. You should be able to.!ower it manually about 1/2 way and it remain in that position. If it does not you need the struts. You most likely need them anyway. About 35-40 on amazon. I like the stabilise which is oem. the trunk should stay up straighter when operating the top cycle as it keeps hydraulic pressure on it. If it was to fall while lowering the top then all sorts of damage can occur. Two different routes for the pump. One for open and close trunk. One as a step in the top process.

If you open the trunk with the trunk button. It should go completely up and stay there. You should be able to.!ower it manually about 1/2 way and it remain in that position. If it does not you need the struts. You most likely need them anyway. About 35-40 on amazon. I like the stabilise which is oem. the trunk should stay up straighter when operating the top cycle as it keeps hydraulic pressure on it. If it was to fall while lowering the top then all sorts of damage can occur. Two different routes for the pump. One for open and close trunk. One as a step in the top process.
Thank you for the quick reply to my problem. Do you happen to know the part number for the struts or should I remove one for some numbers?

Thank you for the quick reply to my problem. Do you happen to know the part number for the struts or should I remove one for some numbers?
I went to Amazon and inputted my car and found the struts. Thanks again

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back