Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Roof motor exchange and slow operation

CadillacSam

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Gray
Hi everybody,

after exchanging the struts on the trunk lid and relearning / diagnosis with a Tech2 on my XLR,
the roof still opens very very slow and sometimes the trunk lid won't come up at all. (no leaks)
I have to assist while someone else is pushing the roof button inside.

I found TOPHYDRAULICS here mentioned on the forums, what is your experience with this company?

Here in my home country there is a company that can only refurbish the motor, but not the whole
pump unit.
Haven't read about this here that someone only changed the top motor, so any claims that
this could help? Is the motor getting weak over years or the whole unit?

Thanks a lot,
Sammy

Unless the motor sounds slow, I'd suspect the hydraulic system. More likely might be the declining pressure in the system due to wear in the pump or blockage in lines. You might try a boat repair company as they often deal with similar systems for tilting and trimming engines and drive units.

John B.

Stressed motor

The motor sounds really stressed.
I'm too far from the shore for a boat repair shop :-D

Unless the motor sounds slow, I'd suspect the hydraulic system. More likely might be the declining pressure in the system due to wear in the pump or blockage in lines. You might try a boat repair company as they often deal with similar systems for tilting and trimming engines and drive units.

John B.

Greetings from Canada! If you ever wonder why so many people Read a thread and say nothing it is because WE DON'T KNOW either, so at the very least I though I would at least post this reply.

However, after a bit of thought I would check the time zones and call Tophydraulics and talk to them about your problem. They may be able to help you narrow down where your problem is. I have to think that there are companies who specialize in this in Germany too. If I remember correctly, the XLR top assembly was designed by the Mercedes? or the company who provides the top components to Mercedes? If my memory is 'wrong on that point' regardless the hydraulic hard top systems are on many European cars and the has to be someone to see about this there.

Do some web searching, and good luck with your problem!

No problem, I know .

The manufacturer of the roof is the same as for Mercedes, Alpha, Porsche and a lot of other brands.
Already tried to reach them, but this is only the factory and no support or service.
I found a garage for Mercedes roofs in my city but if there's no Mercedes logo on the car they don't touch it...

So, here I am again. I was just wondering if it's parts from the pump failing or only the motor.
Because motors I can get in Europe and - as mentioned before - no refurbishing of the whole unit.

Greetings from Canada! If you ever wonder why so many people Read a thread and say nothing it is because WE DON'T KNOW either, so at the very least I though I would at least post this reply.

However, after a bit of thought I would check the time zones and call Tophydraulics and talk to them about your problem. They may be able to help you narrow down where your problem is. I have to think that there are companies who specialize in this in Germany too. If I remember correctly, the XLR top assembly was designed by the Mercedes? or the company who provides the top components to Mercedes? If my memory is 'wrong on that point' regardless the hydraulic hard top systems are on many European cars and the has to be someone to see about this there.

Do some web searching, and good luck with your problem!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom