Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Shocks left and right ? Newbie to posting but have a question …..

Robgor

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR base
Took off the leaking right rear but noted that the left rear may be about to join the leaky brigade, (wisp of fluid on lower portion of the left rear shock).

Found two new right rears at a “tolerable” price, so was wondering if they are compatible - ie can I just put a new RR on both sides???

The left rear new ones I have found online are substantially more $$ so …….

Physically they look the same, but will the computer see a difference?

Maybe some of you experienced guys can provide some direction here?

Thanks.

Last edited:
No reply yet, so some further clarification ……..

The XLR is a 2004 with 49,000 miles, stored annually October to April.

Both rear shocks appear visually identical. The electrical connector on top rotates 360 degrees so it can be pointed in the correct direction to engage the wiring.

Is the only difference the locating hole for the rubber retainer in the upper shock mount????

Or, is the angle of the upper mount bracket slightly different side to side?

Or ?????

Thanks.

Hi Rob,
My experience says they're identical with the mounting arrangement being the only difference and of course, it can be swapped to suit.

I have seen cars where they -sprung- the driver's side a little different than the pax side, can't say I've encountered stock shocks that were truly set to dampen differently left or right on one axle. Adjustable for racing...perhaps, street production... I would be highly suspect.

Wait a day, see if anyone else might chime in to confirm or deny.

HTH!

Gord

Pour ma part, après avoir changé mes amortisseurs avant et arrière, la seule différence est l'entretoise fixant l'amortisseur au châssis.
Salutations de la Suisse

Pour ma part, après avoir changé mes amortisseurs avant et arrière, la seule différence est l'entretoise fixant l'amortisseur au châssis.
Salutations de la Suisse
For my part, after changing my front and rear shock absorbers, the only difference is the spacer fixing the shock absorber to the chassis.
Greetings from Switzerland

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back