Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

slotted & drilled brake rotors

CanadianViking

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
given I've got some sexy new powder coated calipers coming for the XLR, I was thinking I might as well go all the way and have drilled and slotted rotors installed when I visit Rod in MT. I know several members have installed Baer brand rotors but there are many choices out there. I would appreciate feeback from anyone with experience on any of EBC, SP performance, Stoptech, Powerslot, Stainless Steel Brake Corp (or Baer).

Also, if I'm getting new rotors and the calipers replaced, should I be looking at replacing the brake lines with stainless steel?

spent a bit of time researching each brand. Given that I'm not likely to take my XLR to the track, the performance of all these manufacturers is pretty close. I think I've narrowed it down to either StopTech or Baer:

Baer: 04-up Cadillac XLR Rotors from Baer at Andy's Auto Sport
StopTech: 04-up Cadillac XLR Rotors from StopTech at Andy's Auto Sport

Baer is a well known commodity, I like the finishing on the non-braking surfaces of the StopTechs. Cost difference is substantial, $698 (baer) vs. $488 (stoptech).

Any thoughts?

spent a bit of time researching each brand. Given that I'm not likely to take my XLR to the track, the performance of all these manufacturers is pretty close. I think I've narrowed it down to either StopTech or Baer:

Baer: 04-up Cadillac XLR Rotors from Baer at Andy's Auto Sport
StopTech: 04-up Cadillac XLR Rotors from StopTech at Andy's Auto Sport

Baer is a well known commodity, I like the finishing on the non-braking surfaces of the StopTechs. Cost difference is substantial, $698 (baer) vs. $488 (stoptech).

Any thoughts?

$210 is a chunk of change and like you say... you're not likely to take your XLR to the track, so my guess is you probably don't need the extra (which is probably quite negligible) stopping power. So, if it were me, I'd end up with the StopTech; you'll probably still notice the difference between them and OEM.

Just to throw it out there but any base model c6 corvette rotors,pads,calipers will work it's all the same parts. Only difference is it says xlr vs. corvette on the caliper. If you go under c6 delco rotors on eBay you'll find drilled and slotted oem rotors 100 for fronts 70-80 for rear. You can get gm pads ceramic front and rear for 120. hope that helps

Ya the c6 and the xlr have a lot in common when it comes too the chassis. Only wish the engine was as compatible. A lot of the parts crossover numbers just takes some time to cross reference. Hope this helps cant wait for summer.

after more debate and research, I decided to go with the Baer rotors. Found a good deal @ Summit Racing for $539 which is much closer to the StopTechs.

when the new calipers and rotors are installed, I should probably get new brake pads done. Any suggestions for pads that will work well with minimal dust and noise?

Bruce - I can't wait, the new calipers combined with the Baer's and the new forgeline wheels should really looks great on the XLR.

I upgraded to drilled and slotted with new ceramics and since then I get the dreaded squeak 50-60% of the time. Trying new oem pads today. Is it possible my rotors were installed in wrong direction? Any advice or tips on this? Thanks.

I suffered with squeaky front brakes for a while. My mechanic fussed with them plenty over the course of maybe three or four return visits, and we couldn't solve the problem until we installed NAPA Reactive One Performance slotted rotors. The brakes have been noiseless ever since.

i also had the 60% squeak after upgrading pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Just replaced front pads only and squeak is gone! Good Luck!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom