Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Starting problem with 2005 base XLR

Sun today- as well as both college SONS home, so I will once again attempt some more troubleshooting! Quick question, on another forum (OLD post from 2010) there was the same problem that was fixed with a new battery, eventually.
Even though I have a new Optima red top just put in (AFTER the car wouldn't start) and the voltage is reading 12+ and 732 /cca, is there something else I need to do to get the battery and car communicating? Even with jumper charge, the car barely registers enough juice to turn on ACC.
Thanks-after today, it's on to the wait list at dealer's service dept.!

Last edited:
Melificient.

I believe the battery should indicated 13/14 volt, have a slow battery charger on it in order to get the modules to communicate and updates the datas that could get your theft system off.

Let your XLR alone for a good while, to react with a full battery, this is what I have experience with my car.

The XLR is a weird car when the voltage is low, it is a cheap way to try that.

Good luck. :wave:

IAN

Melificient.

I believe the battery should indicated 13/14 volt, have a slow battery charger on it in order to get the modules to communicate and updates the datas that could get your theft system off.

Let your XLR alone for a good while, to react with a full battery, this is what I have experience with my car.

The XLR is a weird car when the voltage is low, it is a cheap way to try that.

Good luck. :wave:

IAN

Update on car- Brake lights are flashing - indicative of theft system perhaps? I think this is Good News ? Thanks for the tip, Ian!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Melficient

The photo are showing the regular front and rear lamps only, they work with the bulb sensor on the dash when the Headlight Lights switch are on the automatic position to open and close them for the day/night lighting.
When the brake lights are on the third lamp and the brake lighting are brither.

Keep the low voltage charger on, until it indicate a full charge.

Doors and windows should be close for putting the theft system off, if you scare that they wont open tomorrow, then use an electrical wire with the necessary lenght, cut and remove the plastic covering the portion of the wire in order to get the inside of the other fines wires.

Insert the copper fines wires around the floor safety door handle, and secure them firmly on the handle moving up portion.

Get the wiring cable up in between the door glass and the weather strip and the door and try to see if it would really works, by pulling upward.

Tomorrow it will tell if the theft system is off….. if yes, the chances look good.

Good luck.

IAN :wave:

Well I ran into the same situation; but different I finally got rid of the P0174 code (required intake manifold rubber connection, clean injectors reseal the plenum and retorque, maf, throttle body, map, filters, air diffuser ( some bozo tightend the clamps to tight it crushed the outlet; finally it ran great; took it out for test run pulled into the garage and shifter would not park.or reverse what now! Replaced the bushing on the shifter (to fat to get under to change it but did it through the top) when done patting my self on the back I hopped in for another ride..... Park, brake, green light, push the button aaaand click... nothing all the lights work dash goes through test. Now I discovered that the trans is not in park and again to fat to get enought access to adjust the rear trans connector even with my jack at full extension. So time for the tow truck and off to the Machanic for accessment and repair. Is it just me but seems like any thing you do to fix one thing another pops up! No wounder Cadillac quit making these. Now my tech 2 lost comm with the modules good God is there any chance of ever having something reliable or is this another garage art open the door and look cause you aint going anywhere.

Last edited:
RD,,, You are asking for help! If you haven't already than you need to take your XLR to
see Danny Smith at:

Full Service Auto Repair | Tempe | Legends Luxury Auto Repair

Danny is most likely the only 'master certified XLR trained tech' in the area, and he knows these cars completely.

I'm sure Danny will get you back on the streets and not just a garage queen XLR....

RD,,, You are asking for help! If you haven't already than you need to take your XLR to
see Danny Smith at:

Full Service Auto Repair | Tempe | Legends Luxury Auto Repair

Danny is most likely the only 'master certified XLR trained tech' in the area, and he knows these cars completely.

I'm sure Danny will get you back on the streets and not just a garage queen XLR....
I have it being towed to Danny on monday, had a standing appointment from 3 weeks previously for the p codes but believe I have resolved that. So now sending it for another problem. My tech 2 will not communicate with the candi so I can not deturmine what the girls trying to tell me Danny will get her to talk!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom