Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Steering Gear Assembly for 2009 Cadillac XLR Platinum

Karlie

My XLR/V(s)
2009 Black XLR Platinum
Once again I'm back on this forum for my 2009 XLR which I'm thinking was a bad apple out of the many produced! :mad: I bought this used in 2012 with only 6K on it, I had a 2004 bought new in 04 with 70K on it and traded it for the 09. Right from the start I had problems with the car but did get the extended warranty so wasn't too worried. When the lens off the high mount brake light fell off that was the beginning of a night mare. It took me 2 years to finally get the high mount brake light part. Just recently I had water damage to the window frame bars and vents as water was leaking through, this due to dry rot apparently of the window seal. The lumbar in the driver's seat failed (that was covered by my warranty). Then all of a sudden the radio started acting up, that would not hold the setting on the station nor would it let me load cd's, it was replaced and the new one wouldn't work either. Also the back shocks were failing and I've replaced the headlight wiper fluid thing a ma jig on the front bumper like 5 times. The radio and shocks were covered by my warranty. I just brought it back to the dealer as they ordered a new radio to replaced the new radio they just put in and I was having a problem with the steering--I figured the alignment was out, they put in another new radio and found out that the steering assembly appears to be binding primarily when turning to the right. When they replaced the shocks, they told me they had to put something in the steering wheel, I didn't have this problem prior to getting the shocks replaced. So I was at the dealer yesterday from 10 am to 6 pm and the result is apparently the steering gear assembly is no longer available from Cadillac or aftermarket! The Dealer's advice was to get rid of the car. He also said they could go in and check it out but if something happens then I would be **** out of luck so to speak. The car has only 34K on it and in good conscious I could not sell it to anyone knowing this is wrong with it. Isn't it GM's problem? Does anyone have any idea where I can get/find etc. a steering gear assembly for my xlr? Any advice, help would be greatly appreciated!

Once again I'm back on this forum for my 2009 XLR which I'm thinking was a bad apple out of the many produced! :mad: I bought this used in 2012 with only 6K on it, I had a 2004 bought new in 04 with 70K on it and traded it for the 09. Right from the start I had problems with the car but did get the extended warranty so wasn't too worried. When the lens off the high mount brake light fell off that was the beginning of a night mare. It took me 2 years to finally get the high mount brake light part. Just recently I had water damage to the window frame bars and vents as water was leaking through, this due to dry rot apparently of the window seal. The lumbar in the driver's seat failed (that was covered by my warranty). Then all of a sudden the radio started acting up, that would not hold the setting on the station nor would it let me load cd's, it was replaced and the new one wouldn't work either. Also the back shocks were failing and I've replaced the headlight wiper fluid thing a ma jig on the front bumper like 5 times. The radio and shocks were covered by my warranty. I just brought it back to the dealer as they ordered a new radio to replaced the new radio they just put in and I was having a problem with the steering--I figured the alignment was out, they put in another new radio and found out that the steering assembly appears to be binding primarily when turning to the right. When they replaced the shocks, they told me they had to put something in the steering wheel, I didn't have this problem prior to getting the shocks replaced. So I was at the dealer yesterday from 10 am to 6 pm and the result is apparently the steering gear assembly is no longer available from Cadillac or aftermarket! The Dealer's advice was to get rid of the car. He also said they could go in and check it out but if something happens then I would be **** out of luck so to speak. The car has only 34K on it and in good conscious I could not sell it to anyone knowing this is wrong with it. Isn't it GM's problem? Does anyone have any idea where I can get/find etc. a steering gear assembly for my xlr? Any advice, help would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry for your many issues. I saw on a carfax report where someone having many of the same issues turn the car in as a lemon. Don't know exactly how this works but worth an investigation.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back