Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Suspension noise

klaptrapper

My XLR/V(s)
2006-V black, ebony
My 06 V has developed a very loud "clunk" seemingly from the rear suspension. it occurs when I "flex" the suspension going over a curbing at an oblique angle, make a sharp turn at low speed. By my imagination, it coincides with when I would imagine the rear sway bar is flexed, or raised, both ends going over a sharp bump on an otherwise smooth road.
I have had the car to my local cadillac dealer to check for loose suspension, but they did not find anything. The clunk is getting louder, so it seems I need to revisit them.
Can anyone on the site relate to these symptoms? I will greatly appreciate guidance prior to visiting my dealer again.

Thanks, Rusty aka Klaptrapper.

Check your sway bar links and make sure they are tight.

Dave

Yes, on my C6 Corvette. Same links on the XLR V.

Well, I took my V to the local Chevvy dealer, who has a couple good corvette techs. Seems there is a Corvette TSB for my (our) complaint. They replaced all 4 sway bar links under my GMPP policy ($0 cost to me). So far, no suspension noises! If the noise (klunk) returns, I will update this post.

PS. Nice to have a competent corvette dealer here with the expertise to deal with those facets of our cars which Cadillac dealerships do not seem to have.

Well, I took my V to the local Chevvy dealer, who has a couple good corvette techs. Seems there is a Corvette TSB for my (our) complaint. They replaced all 4 sway bar links under my GMPP policy ($0 cost to me). So far, no suspension noises! If the noise (klunk) returns, I will update this post.

PS. Nice to have a competent corvette dealer here with the expertise to deal with those facets of our cars which Cadillac dealerships do not seem to have.

Glad it worked out. Chevy Dealers do have more Corvettes to work on than Cadillac dealer have XLR's to work on. Also, many XLR's didn't come with sway bars. Yes, there was a TSB on the Corvettes and the new links were redesigned.

Dave

Rusty,

So you are saying they replaced front and rear links? Haven't had any noise yet, but I keep an eye on it.

Can you post the part numbers??

Thanks for the post and Dave thanks for the heads up!!

The GM part # for the links (front and rear are identiclal) is: 20822934. GM parts direct has them at a reasonable cost.

Rusty '06 XLR-V

Rusty,

So you are saying they replaced front and rear links? Haven't had any noise yet, but I keep an eye on it.

Can you post the part numbers??

Thanks for the post and Dave thanks for the heads up!!

Thanks Rusty!!

The GM part # for the links (front and rear are identiclal) is: 20822934. GM parts direct has them at a reasonable cost.

Rusty '06 XLR-V

UPDATE, Today, I exercised the car for approximately 100 miles. NO NOISES from the front or rear suspension. I must conclude thereby, that the sway bar links were the culprits!

Rusty

the front bumper cover is missing and the dealer says there is a difference but I cannot see it can any one verify

The 2009 has a different Front Bumper cover - it is not the same as the 2006. I'm not sure if an '09 would fit on your 2006.

The main difference is the Fog Lights (and surrounding area) and the lower grill area.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom