Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Texas Motor Speedway - Track Guys Event Spring 2012

onalaska

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infared XLR-V
Texas World Speedway - Track Guys Event Spring 2012

Diane & I spent today at the track with the XLR. We attended the classroom instruction and then did a test drive with the XLR. We both got 4-5 times around the track with an instructor. A lot of fun and perfect weather.

DSCN2308.jpg

DSCN2286.jpg

DSCN2299.jpg

DSCN2304-1.jpg

Sounds like a great day! Did you enjoy the laps around TWS? Thanks for posting the pictures.:wave:

The road course is really in good condition for a track built way back in 1969. I was impressed on how well the XLR did in comparison to driving a Z06 at Firebird last month. Of course the grip wasn't as good due to the smaller tire size and the XLR doesn't have the brute low end torque and acceleration of the Z06, but handling was excellent and actually very similiar to the Z06 to me. I left the transmission in auto, just put it in the sport mode. It held in gear most of the time when I backed off for a turn, but sometime it would upshift and then would downshift abruptly when I didn't want it too. After learning the track it would probably be better to manually shift to make sure you are in the right gear for the turn. We just did 5 laps for $50 so it was just an introductory drive. I could have signed up for a two day course, but didn't want to subject the XLR to that much track time on those expensive street tires! There was a huge turnout of Mustangs there. In fact more Boss 302s than they said they had seen in one place. I had one pass me on the straightaway and he was pulling away from me at a good pace. (Gizmo where were you?) A few Porsches, a Volkswagen that was really fast, a Daytona, several Cobras, and a believe it or not a Fiesta that was amazing in the turns.

The road course is really in good condition for a track built way back in 1969. I was impressed on how well the XLR did in comparison to driving a Z06 at Firebird last month. Of course the grip wasn't as good due to the smaller tire size and the XLR doesn't have the brute low end torque and acceleration of the Z06, but handling was excellent and actually very similiar to the Z06 to me. I left the transmission in auto, just put it in the sport mode. It held in gear most of the time when I backed off for a turn, but sometime it would upshift and then would downshift abruptly when I didn't want it too. After learning the track it would probably be better to manually shift to make sure you are in the right gear for the turn. We just did 5 laps for $50 so it was just an introductory drive. I could have signed up for a two day course, but didn't want to subject the XLR to that much track time on those expensive street tires! There was a huge turnout of Mustangs there. In fact more Boss 302s than they said they had seen in one place. I had one pass me on the straightaway and he was pulling away from me at a good pace. (Gizmo where were you?) A few Porsches, a Volkswagen that was really fast, a Daytona, several Cobras, and a believe it or not a Fiesta that was amazing in the turns.

Sounds like a GREAT time, Steve. Thanks for sharing your experience with us - kind of like being there. I'm glad to see that you are really enjoying your XLR the way it was built for. COOL :rocker:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom