Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! These damn doors!

prototyper

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Alpine Edition XLR
So here's the story..........2008 XLR base, bought in 2012 with 25k miles, bone stock. This vehicle now has 40k a full Corsa exhaust and a modified Volant intake runner and filters. Car is always kept garaged and never driven in the rain as long as I've owned it. On 12-11-2013 I installed a yellow top Optima battery.

Yesterday while I was washing and waxing the car I noticed that the driver's side door lock was acting funny. That evening it wouldn't open while I stood in the middle of a parking lot looking the fool. I climbed in through the passenger side and came home. I had to exit with the emergency release seeing as the inside door button would not release the door.

I read the threads.........swapped the passenger side pressure switch to the driver side...same result. I took the pressure switch apart.....very minimal corrosion.....cleaned it anyway. With either FOB the damn thing sometimes opens but mostly not!:dunno:

I make things from scratch for a living.....I'm not a body guy.....the thought of ripping this thing apart scares me. But I don't want to get hosed by the dealership but I expect it's coming.:mad:

I know there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum.........could one of you please point me in a direction to remedy this mess? XLR weather is here and I'm sick of driving my truck and my motorcycles are not as much fun as they used to be.

Just a thought here. But have you every changed out your battery in the key FOB? Maybe enough juice to start car but not operate the door receiver to unlock. Might be worth a try.

Just a thought here. But have you every changed out your battery in the key FOB? Maybe enough juice to start car but not operate the door receiver to unlock. Might be worth a try.

As a matter of fact I was just getting ready to head to the local parts/ battery shop and but some new batteries. I hope this works!

As a matter of fact I was just getting ready to head to the local parts/ battery shop and but some new batteries. I hope this works!

Yeah............. new batteries in everything and the same s**t happens.....f this thing!

Yeah............. new batteries in everything and the same s**t happens.....f this thing!

Just in case I left out some vital information...........12.63v static(engine and accessory mode off) and 14.62v at idle.

You've done the basics. If the fob opened the passenger door and is having issues with the driver's door, then the fob battery is probably fine. (I assume you used a second fob to verify the symptoms with no change.)

There are two main culprits left. The driver's side interior switch and the driver's door module which responds to the interior and exterior door switches. A quick scan with a Tech 2 will diagnose this problem, so unless you have access to one, a dealership visit is in order.

As the XLR ages, more and more problems (especially electrical) are going to appear. For those contemplating keep their XLRs long-term, investing in your own Tech 2 is a pretty good idea, otherwise, dealership visits are inevitable. Not all electrical repairs are expensive, but nearly all require a Tech 2 to troubleshoot and re-program where necessary.

CC :wave:

Thanks to everyone that responded. Looks like a dealership visit is near..............at least until I get Tech 2 of my own. Could anyone share where they got theirs?

And sorry about the whole picture thing............I'm still green when it comes to this whole internet forum stuff.

CSL

Tech 2 Scanner

Thanks to everyone that responded. Looks like a dealership visit is near..............at least until I get Tech 2 of my own. Could anyone share where they got theirs? CSL

I bought mine through aliexpress.com at the recommendation of another forum member posted years ago. I think Ali Express is similar to Amazon by comparison, the store was Shenzhen Acartool Auto Electronics Co. I paid exactly $350.00 free shipping. Today I noticed their price is $320.00 free shipping.

I received mine complete as shown in the description, case, scanner, all cables, flash card version 33.004 English, CD's, CANDi, 100v charger, cig charger, battery cable, etc. Everything you see in the pictures. They provide you with an email address, toll free number, No hassles shipping or payment, and functions without problems.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Best Quality GM TECH2 Full Set Support 6 Softwares(GM,OPEL,SAAB ISUZU,SUZUKI,HOLDEN) GM Tech 2 diagnostic tool DHL Free Ship from Reliable tool home suppliers on Shenzhen Acartool Auto Electronics Co., Ltd

Make sure you give them this information... Please tell us which kind of 32MB card (gm,saab, opel,isuzu,Suzuki,honden)do you want and what language you need when you place your order.

Software list

GM
GM-English 33.004 1991-2013

I have read all the horror stories about the Chinese clones, no problems with mine.

Last edited:
Prototyper --

If you've gotten this resolved, what ended up happening?

Cheap FOB Batteries

Don't use cheap DollarStore batteries for the FOB. ($2 for 5)
I was having trouble opening the doors so I put in a cheap battery. It worked for a few days then the problem came back. I put in another cheap battery. Ok for a couple more days then problem was back.
I was ready to start taking the door pad off to clean when someone suggested I put in a brand name battery. ($6 for 1)
I've had no problems for the last 3 months.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom