Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Thought of a car show /cruise on historic Route 66

hawkeye372

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 infrared xlr
I was thinking of something last night and thought why not have a cruise or car show somewhere on the historic route 66? For the East coasters and Midwesterners meet somewhere in the joplin -springfield area and the west coasters (if they don't want to join us East coasters/midwesterners) can meet somewhere in the Sante fe/oklahoma area.
R66Map.jpg
The reasoning for this is i thought that some of us might like to have a group pic of our XLRs on the historic RT 66. Kind of like what some people did for the 10th anniversary in Bowling Green Ky at the corvette plant.

Any thoughts on this? Like i said before just a thought of mine. :dunno: whats all involved in planning and such but i thought this might be something that ppl might like to do. For those of you that have classics that want to bring them instead of their XLRs then thats fine too. We can have this as a open to classics and rare cars.

I was thinking of something last night and thought why not have a cruise or car show somewhere on the historic route 66? For the East coasters and Midwesterners meet somewhere in the joplin -springfield area and the west coasters (if they don't want to join us East coasters/midwesterners) can meet somewhere in the Sante fe/oklahoma area.
View attachment 4425
The reasoning for this is i thought that some of us might like to have a group pic of our XLRs on the historic RT 66. Kind of like what some people did for the 10th anniversary in Bowling Green Ky at the corvette plant.

Any thoughts on this? Like i said before just a thought of mine. :dunno: whats all involved in planning and such but i thought this might be something that ppl might like to do. For those of you that have classics that want to bring them instead of their XLRs then thats fine too. We can have this as a open to classics and rare cars.

IMO the best place for a picture of our xlr's is the cadillac ranch in Amarillo Texas.

Well I don't care where we have it. I just am putting a thought out and am open to anywhere. I just thought of Joplin -Springfield because it might be the closest for some of the east coasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 4425

Well, of course, I think this is a FABULOUS idea. But my pick would be Albuquerque .... prettiest sky in the US .....

Well I'm available up until jan 2016-end of April 2016. So anything before that or after may of 2016. So that leaves the rest of this yr till dec of 2015.

This is on Wendy & I "BUCKET LIST"
And of course would need to fit in our future calendar schedule the same as yours too???
Guy we think this is a good idea but would require some local folks that know the areas for planing events as we would do our travels across Route 66, also need lots of feed back from them and others on a good timing for the best weather in these areas, such as no snow, monsoon rains, floods, tornados, wind & bad storms and also so hot that you could fry a burger on the hood of your car.... Lol
I would think spring or fall would be a good choice but some areas that's when they could have bad weather with the changing of the seasons also may not be the best timing of the year! These events take a lot of dedication, time & volunteers to plan an event of this magnitude. Plus if this becomes a realistic event we can do like they did with the BG 10 Year Homecoming and put a voting poll on here for possible dates to select from! so who's interested this event?
NOTE: an event of this size would take almost a year to plan!
So if you have an interest Please start posting your thoughts and ideas now and a possible times that would fit your calendar schedule! There is a lot of things do and see on a trip of this distance, like us I'm sure a lot of you would not travel the full run, but would be interested in a midway center point where East and West Coasters could have and extreme XLR GATHERING!
NOW THAT WOULD BE AWESOMELY COOL!
Start posting your ideas now if this would be of interest to you!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

This is a cool idea. Having lived in the desert west of ABQ for 5 years, I've driven it a lot. ABQ would be a great place for the east-meets-west bash! I vote YEA!

Tim

Thanks Daniel. That's why I put it out now. That way we will have at least a yr to plan. This is on my bucket list to do (at least half the road if not the whole road). So either the timeframe of the whole year of 2015 or even the whole year of 2017 is open. I don't really like to plan to far in advance. Because no one really knows if they will still have their cars around (due to loss of interest, unable to get in and out of the low car, (because that's how my uncle is with his 99 vette) or accident). So like you said fall would be a great time. But yes weather and storms have a big factor in the planing. If it's fall then I'll be around in May of 2016. Mom wants to do the works cruise in 2016 that's why it can't be from jam 2016-end of April of 2016. But that's another story. I would like to get anyone that lives in the lower Midwest to west or Illinois somewhere along that route. Someone here aid a great picture spot would be the Cadillac ranch in Amarillo, TX. But would the far north easterners like yourself be willing to drive that far? Well all kinds of feedback is welcome.

Thanks Daniel. That's why I put it out now. That way we will have at least a yr to plan. This is on my bucket list to do (at least half the road if not the whole road). So either the timeframe of the whole year of 2015 or even the whole year of 2017 is open. I don't really like to plan to far in advance. Because no one really knows if they will still have their cars around (due to loss of interest, unable to get in and out of the low car, (because that's how my uncle is with his 99 vette) or accident). So like you said fall would be a great time. But yes weather and storms have a big factor in the planing. If it's fall then I'll be around in May of 2016. Mom wants to do the works cruise in 2016 that's why it can't be from jam 2016-end of April of 2016. But that's another story. I would like to get anyone that lives in the lower Midwest to west or Illinois somewhere along that route. Someone here aid a great picture spot would be the Cadillac ranch in Amarillo, TX. But would the far north easterners like yourself be willing to drive that far? Well all kinds of feedback is welcome.

This XLR club actually already did a Rendezvous to Texas about 4 or so years ago ... we also did one to Colorado.... most of the people who are die-hard road trippers would probably like to travel The Mother Road and the PCH .... but both of those are long trips for even the Midwesterner's ... Oklahoma has the worst roads in America .... Starting in Albuquerque and coming into California are the best roads and are really pretty concentrated with the tourist stops ..... you know ... like the famous Teepee motel .... would be fun to meet there and end up in Las Vegas :)

Wow.. I'm in.

The more I read this thread the more I want to go... Count me in.

Well, I'm trying to find out from the xlr'rs that live in the area along that route, the best season or time frame is best. As granddaddy said. It's on his bucket list. Others say the route from Albuquerque west word is better. So it's just in the planing stages. We still have to get a timeframe set.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back