Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Tilting the top mid-way

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
Is there a way to tilt the top back part way so they can put window film in the rear window?? I had the door windows done for a reasonable price, but they wanted about 150% more of that price to do the back window!!They said that was because it was so hard to get at;:( and I could see that with the top up, it would be extremely difficult!!

Yes, you can do that, I had to do it that way for my tint to be applied several years ago. Just remember, to complete the cycle, whichever stage it's in when you stop it in mid operation.

How do I stop it midway, and then how do I compete the top down ,or can you tell me how to just reverse it to go back up? PLEASE! Step BY STEP!; these babies complicate me.Thank you! By the way, I spoke on the phone a day or so ago in Texas, with a guy that has an XLR, and he said that you're the "go to guy" with questions about the XLR's! He said you know a lot about them. Seems you're getting quite a reputation!

Yes, you can do that, I had to do it that way for my tint to be applied several years ago. Just remember, to complete the cycle, whichever stage it's in when you stop it in mid operation.

Unless it folds itself back down in the trunk on its own - then you can only go one way with the cycle. :ugh:

I did the part way up on the V first to put stuff on the seals, had no problems. Not so with the base - it started going back down, I tried to stop it when it started but obviously the roof is heavy & I couldn’t. I was very afraid I’d messed up a perfectly working top, fortunately it all turned out ok. Not doing that again unless I have some help! My guess is I got lucky the first time on the V & stopped it at the perfect balance point.

The weight of the hardtop is incredible. Stopping it midway can mess up the "counts" of the mechanism. Hydraulics being what they are, it won't stay suspended midway for very long. My tint guy measured and cut the film on the outside of the window. When I put it down halfway he was ready to start applying the film. Messed up the folding top module, and had to re-learn the top to fix it. That was my first use of my Chinese TECH II.

How do I stop it midway, and then how do I compete the top down ,or can you tell me how to just reverse it to go back up? PLEASE! Step BY STEP!; these babies complicate me.Thank you! By the way, I spoke on the phone a day or so ago in Texas, with a guy that has an XLR, and he said that you're the "go to guy" with questions about the XLR's! He said you know a lot about them. Seems you're getting quite a reputation!

You're being to kind and especially whoever it was you were talking to about me. I just try to remember what I read on this forum. Just about everything that can go wrong with these cars is contained in the old posts from the beginning. I used to advise new members when they had some extra time to begin reading all the old posts just to familiarize themselves with these cars. Couple of people called me out for saying "do a search, your answer is contained in this forum" saying I was snotty about it. Nope, I read this forum from start to finish when I got my XLR 4 years ago. Took a while, but I did it. Now instead of saying go search the forum, I just leave it alone and don't answer at all most of the time

The guy I was talking about that raved about your knowledge, has a black XLR for sale on the forum. I think his name is John.Thank you for the info! Please -I'm not too computer literate; What steps do I take to search old info like you did? Maybe I can find out why my mirror lights no longer work like they should. I have seen some old threads where a lot of guys on this forum have the same problem!!, and oddly enough nobody seems to know what the fix is!! Seems very odd to me that someone hasn't had a dealer fix it, so now they know what was wrong.

I'm getting my car tinted next week.....I am tempted to tell him to only do the side windows...just to avoid any problems

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom