Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Transaxle fluid replacement

6444johnf

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR
I'm planning spring maintenances starting with the transaxle. Without the complete manual can someone enlighten me on the procedure to drain and replace the fluid? I have the capability of
figuring the procedure out myself but this forum is a wealth of information and plan to utilize best practices.

I'm planning spring maintenances starting with the transaxle. Without the complete manual can someone enlighten me on the procedure to drain and replace the fluid? I have the capability of
figuring the procedure out myself but this forum is a wealth of information and plan to utilize best practices.

Hopefully CClarke or someone else will chime in and help with instructions. I thought about doing this a few years ago, looked it up in my manual, and decided $160 at the dealership was cheap. There is no drain plug. There is no fill tube. The gear oil is a special mixture from the OEM. The drain and fill procedure is a PITA.

The XLR Tech at my dealership does mine every year since.

Man, GizmoQ, you could shame me into writing up a self-circumcision procedure using my left hand, with night vision goggles, and a magnifying glass. . .

No trans-axle on the XLR. It's a differential mated to the transmission. (Blame it on the French, they built it.) I'm assuming you want to change the differential fluid. Here's how, and it ain't pretty:

Inspection:

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Clean and remove any dirt around the differential fill plug. (When you see the "X" mark on the diff, it's at the five o'clock position, about 1/3 from the bottom.)
3. Remove the fill plug and washer.
4. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the hole, and no lower than .25" from the opening.

Draining:

2. Clean and remove any dirt around the differential drain plug located on the bottom.
3. Remove the drain plug & washer and drain the fluid.
4. Re-install the drain plug & washer.
5. Tighten the drain plug to 26 ft-lbs/35 Nm.

Filling:

1. Clean and remove any dirt around the differential fill plug. (When you see the "X" mark on the diff, it's at the five o'clock position, about 1/3 from the bottom.)
2. Remove the fill plug and washer.
3. Fill the differential through the fill plug. (Is this brilliant, or what?! I can't make this stuff up!) Add about 2 qts of GM P/N 8862624 until it reaches to the bottom of the fill hole. (This is the new lube with friction modifier added.)
4. Re-install the fill plug & washer.
5. Tighten the fill plug to 26 ft-lbs/35 Nm.
6. Consume 1 beer for each hour spent on this job.
7. Stand in front of the mirror and smile. You just saved a bundle. Repeat as necessary.

CCC :wave:

Last edited:
Man, GizmoQ, you could shame me into writing up a self-circumcision procedure using my left hand. . .

No trans-axle on the XLR. It's a differential mated to the transmission. (Blame it on the French, they built it.) I'm assuming you want to change the differential fluid. Here's how, and it ain't pretty:

Inspection:

2. Clean and remove any dirt around the differential fill plug. (When you see the "X" mark on the diff, it's at the five o'clock position, about 1/3 from the bottom.)
3. Remove the fill plug and washer.
4. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the hole, and no lower than .25" from the opening.

Draining:

2. Clean and remove any dirt around the differential drain plug located on the bottom.
3. Remove the drain plug & washer and drain the fluid.
4. Re-install the drain plug & washer.
5. Tighten the drain plug to 26 ft-lbs/35 Nm.

Filling:

1. Clean and remove any dirt around the differential fill plug. (When you see the "X" mark on the diff, it's at the five o'clock position, about 1/3 from the bottom.)
2. Remove the fill plug and washer.
3. Fill the differential through the fill plug. (Is this brilliant, or what?! I can't make this stuff up!) Add 4 oz/118 ml of limited slip differential fluid (GM P/N 1052358) and finish with synthetic axel lubricant (GM P/N 12378261) to the bottom of the fill hole.
4. Re-install the fill plug & washer.
5. Tighten the fill plug to 26 ft-lbs/35 Nm.
6. Consume 1 beer for each hour spent on this job.
7. Stand in front of the mirror and smile. You just saved a bundle. Repeat as necessary.

Thanks Triple C,

So while I'm down under the car why not tackle the transmission as well? Any advise on this procedure? My XLR is a 2008 with 15k miles I may be being over attentive.

At 15k, you're probably fine with the existing fluid. The transmission fluid replacement requires a couple of special GM tools (the pan has to be removed to replace the filter, which requires the special tools to get at the seals.) I don't know how far you want to dig into this. Nothing is easy with the XLR.

As far as the trans-axle nomenclature goes, I agree with you, it's an integrated unit so technically, it's a trans-axle, but GM differentiates (no pun intended) between the two.

Based on past experience, I would make sure that the fill plug can be properly removed and replaced
before draining the fluid!

I appreciate the insight on the transmission/ differential maintenance. My thoughts are to focus on coolant & brake fluid as they have a shorter life expectancy. This XLR has only had an oil change in its seven years of life so I may be over anxious to "do the right thing" since this is a great low mileage example. When I did a complete paint clay bar, followed up with P21S clean & wax I did not find even a rock chip plus I believe this car was always in a garage with the seats being flawless & thanks to a smaller woman driver. My thoughts are that this example is a keeper! As always I appericate any thoughts on the proper care and maintenance practices.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom