Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Transmission Fluid and Filter Change

JohnnyBfromPeoria

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Base, Black/Black
I have a touch over 91,000 miles on my '04 and I'm willing to bet the transmission fluid and filter are stock. Disregarding talk of 'permanent' fluid and the lack of info (I searched this forum), I'd like to change it out. From my basic understanding, there's no real easy way to fill the transmission back up and no way to accurately determine the fluid level. I did see a discussion regarding the early models ('04-'05) using a different version of the fluid than later models. Does anyone have additional information they can share? 90K miles and 15 years is enough for any fluid! I find it kind of amazing there hasn't been more discussion of this topic, unless I'm just not looking in the right place.

Thanks in advance,

John B.

JohnnyB. I agree. My 06 has 90,000 miles on it and I want to change the tranny fluid and I am not sure what fluid to use. I have heard you can't get the original fluid any more and people that have changed the fluid run into problems. My transmission runs perfectly and the fact I only put 500 miles per year on it I have just left it alone.
John F.

On my 05 I had all my fluids, except brake fluid, changed at around 80k at the dealership that was probably around 2014-15 with out looking up the date, but I never had any issues after it was changed out! I do know the rear end pumpkin had to have additional additive add to the oil when it was changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do recall a thread regarding transmission level checks and changes. In this specific maintenance question, I am indeed fortunate to have a local independent garage whose owner is very familiar with Corvettes, and he is, therefore, undaunted when performing maintenance on my XLR. Clearly, if you can find a reputable "independent" who feels confident working on your XLR, a good deal of the mystery and anxiety evaporates. In general though, these are durable and dependable machines, and members on this forum will encourage you not to worry and enjoy your car. James

James Landi, I have an excellent Cadillac dealer in Southern California. They have sold lots of these vehicles in their day and have a couple of really good techs. Even my service writer is very knowledgable with this vehicle. At home in Canada it's a different story . I have no confidence in the dealers and have no idea where to go lf I run into a problem.
John F.

James Landi, I have an excellent Cadillac dealer in Southern California. They have sold lots of these vehicles in their day and have a couple of really good techs. Even my service writer is very knowledgable with this vehicle. At home in Canada it's a different story . I have no confidence in the dealers and have no idea where to go lf I run into a problem.
John F.

I must confess that I dreaded taking the car to our local GM dealer, in large part because of two technical screw-ups on a rather standard Cadillac that I owned. I decades past, I had great confidence in the service departments of "dealer name brand" locals-- alas, I am a skeptic now. The local independent that I discovered who works on my XLR is someone in whom I have great confidence-- now the major reason that I am keeping my XLR. He enjoys the car, finds them similar in many respects to Corvettes and doesn't charge me a premium price for his labor. Would likely be a good idea to assemble a list of service techs whom we depend upon for our XLR repairs. Happy day, Jame

Jame, It would be great to have a list of service techs in both the U.S. and Canada that can work on our XLR's. You have many more specially shops in the U.S. than we have in the Great White North. I'll bet there are at least a half dozen shops in CA. that specialize in Corvettes. I can't think of one in my home Province. Cadillac dealers will tell you they have service techs that work on all Cadillacs but I don't buy that. I went into one dealer at home and he had never seen one. When I left there happened to be a red one in the Parking lot and I went and got the service guy and took him out and showed him the car. I hope that car wasn't in for service.
John F.

that would be nice as many of the original trained techs are gone and new ones might be certified but few on the XLR. I know one member called around Georgia and every caddy dealer said they had certified XLR techs but when he took his car in and specified a Certified tech they told him "oh all our techs are certified" he asked a couple of questions and found they did not even know anything about the cars. A good positive list for those of us who travel would be nice in case someone broke down they could have a name to call.

that would be nice as many of the original trained techs are gone and new ones might be certified but few on the XLR. I know one member called around Georgia and every caddy dealer said they had certified XLR techs but when he took his car in and specified a Certified tech they told him "oh all our techs are certified" he asked a couple of questions and found they did not even know anything about the cars. A good positive list for those of us who travel would be nice in case someone broke down they could have a name to call.

You've expanded on my point. Modern cars, viz: since the advent of computer controls, are engineered and assembled in an ever changing technologically sophisticated brief moment in time. It is humanly impossible for a technician to know how to work on an XLR unless that technician has EXPERIENTIAL knowledge as well as the tools and the necessary critical reading skills to address the high tech systems that were built in 20 years ago. Wouldn't we all feel a little less anxious if we had a state by state listing of names of technicians and places of business where we owners have had good experiences? In my case the GM dealer is nearly useless, and the independent owner/mechanic is someone in whom I have absolute trust with my XLR... they are 7 miles apart; yet, the outcomes and expense are light year in distance. James Landi

I always loved it in one of my collision shops I would ask a new tech if he was familiar with a certain car. He would of course say yes. then I would watch him go and try and take a bumper off . You could tell in a minute he had never worked on one. AT least on body panels they all pretty much attach the same way and a good tech can figure it out but not so much on electronics . We lost a super tech from Mercedes to Toyota once. He came back in two weeks as he said he did not know anything about the cars and really did not not want to forget what he knew to learn something else. J Leno has a tech that knows XLR 's inside and out . I am going out with a friend to film an episode and I hope to pick his brain or at least get his home number. HAHA

Here is a tip for all owners. if you are having anything body related done. headlights removed. taillights, door panels , window regulators go to the dealer body shop/collision center. Their rates are less than 1/2 to 2/3 less than service and they can do the job quicker than service. Many times they will do a little work for very little to win you over should you ever have an accident .

long tall sally, When you say "you are going out ", I assume you mean Southern California. I have a friend that has been to Jay Leno's garage and I am bugging him to get a little tour but I don't think that will ever happen.
John F.

haha. I read that again. Yes . I am "going out" to California to help (watch) the filming. They say you cannot get into most of his garage but I hope to . I am taking him a collection of Chrysler award tools I have. One of his guys is interested in them and said Jay might also be. He has a couple of cars that I worked on In the past so I hope that might get a foot in the door I would like to visit them again.

haha. I read that again. Yes . I am "going out" to California to help (watch) the filming. They say you cannot get into most of his garage but I hope to . I am taking him a collection of Chrysler award tools I have. One of his guys is interested in them and said Jay might also be. He has a couple of cars that I worked on In the past so I hope that might get a foot in the door I would like to visit them again.

When are you making this big trip to Southern CA. ?
John F.

I think I have to get my passport renewed to get in but I am supposed to leave dec 17 and be back dec 21

I think I have to get my passport renewed to get in (California) but I am supposed to leave dec 17 ,,,,

:lol: Bring your winter snow shoes if you will be walking the sidewalks in LA & San Fran,,,,filthy feces piles to avoid

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any owners are coming through the metro PHX area and need XLR or any GM car service, I highly recommend this
independent auto repair service shop which has a excellent XLR trained tech/shop owner:

Full Service Auto Repair | Tempe | Legends Luxury Auto Repair > Danny Smith > Master Certified XLR Technician

:thumbsup

Just an update to my original post that seems to have gone way off-topic. I ended up taking my 04 to an independent, well regarded shop in Tempe, AZ called Tri-City Transmission. I had them change both the automatic transmission fluid as well as the differential fluid. I received a three page write-up on every aspect of the service including what was talked about initially over the phone. The transmission fluid was described as "varnished" both in smell and in color, although it was full. The shop did drop the pan and also did a complete fluid exchange (I believe the filter was replaced, but that is not perfectly clear), completed two road tests and scanned the computer. The rear differential just had a drain and refill. Everything works just fine and I have nothing but good things to say about the shop and my experience. They also had the car washed inside and out, which was a nice, unexpected treat.

I have since put a couple thousand miles on - no issues.

John B.

Thanks for bringing this back on point JB. So if I can summarize, you have an '04 with 90k, changed the trans fluid and no issues so far. Did you service the differential fluid as well in that visit? I I have an '06 V recently bought in Oct '20. Mine has 40K on the clock. I have a lot of records but nothing that says trans was ever serviced. After 14 yrs I was thinking it might be a good idea to do it anyway. I have heard its a 50K service item, but years are years. :) There are different schools of thought on auto trans service, one is if it works don't fix it. I think that applies to a car with 150K miles on it (or more). But with 40K I think it can only help and should be safe. That is to say, the frinction disc fibers have not worn off into the fluid and the trans now relies on that fluid to grab. Thoughts on that anyone?

My 07 just turned 30K miles, and I did a complete fluid change (everything) out of two concerns, as follows:
1. Moisture and chemical deterioration --- acidity
2. Up dates in the kinds of fluid recommended by G.M.
Only one noted positive to all of this--- occasionally, when the transmission would shift into first gear, there would be a clunk and we noticed a lurch. With the new transmission fluid, this does not happen. There are new GM recommended oils for the differential and transmission-- so my recommendation is to change ALL fluids.. but the one caveat--- you have it done by someone whom you respect. James

That is very helpful James. I had no idea that the GM spec changed on recommended fluids (trans and diff). Good to know. Also, good to know you had no adverse effects after your service, in fact, had a positive one, with similar miles on yous as mine. I took my V to a caddy dealer pretty much straight away after it was delivered. Had the coolant changed (this can get acidic too over time) as I had no hard evidence it had ever been done, wheel align (it was out), TPMS sensor changed (1 was erratic), and fobs programmed (came with one fob, bought a second). When I was there I asked about trans service advice and the reply was to "do nothing". Not sure I agree then, and more so now.
By the way, my car came from Boca Raton area. I am in DE. I see you are in FL. :)

Tom, there's a copy of the service bulletin regarding the differential... GM Bulletin for rear end chatter number? Do a little research on the trans fluid, and by the way, my mechanic, who's a COvette guy, did not change the transmission filter ---- told me the fluid looked clean, and removing the filter requires some additional expense in hours.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom