Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Transmission shift cable

stormshadow71

My XLR/V(s)
2004 xlr
Just fell victim to the dreaded shift cable failure. Trans was stuck in reverse, but I was able to push the car to a safe spot for a tow...it was able to roll forward. I purchased a new cable from GM direct and also the bushings on Ebay. They were asking $25 but I offered $10 and they accepted. I put the car on jack stands and got lucky that it was the bushing closest to the trans shifter. It was visible without removing anything. I was able to squeeze my fingers behind exhaust pipe and popped the new bushing in then reconnected. Took about 30min with putting car on the jack stands taking most of the time. Going to take my chances on the bushing by the shifter for now and hope it doesn't go anytime soon. Saving the cable as a spare.
By the way, when I called for a tow to my home, the tow truck driver hooked up to the aluminum support bracket in the front of car. The ends are visible right at front of car. He never should have done this because it is not meant for towing car. He hit every bump on the road and when I got home the bracket snapped right at the frame where it connects on both sides. Now I have to take it in to have it repaired or replaced. Progressive paying for this because it is their fault. Thought I would share.

Get ready to replace the shifter bushings. It's hotter there than on the differential end. O'Reilly sells a bushing pack for about 5 bucks. Mine went out on the shifter end almost 3 years ago, I didn't want to unscrew and screw back in those 30 some odd bolts holding the plate on the car but once so I replaced the entire shifter cable.
BTW, never get a tow unless it's on a rollback carrier or dollies. Wrecker drivers don't want to do it because it takes too much time to set up the dollies

Last edited:
I replaced one of those cradles on a customers XLR. They are made of aluminum and require the removal of the front bumper cover. Make sure they replace it, not repair. And while the body shop has everything apart get some LED turn signal and running light bulbs for your headlights and ask them to install them for you.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom