Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk Bumper Assembly

6444johnf

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR
When I was taking the car cover out of the trunk I noticed what looks like tar hanging from the bumper assembly. This is my 5th year with the car and this is a first. Has anyone experienced this, is it matter of concern or jest one of those things that needs to be cleaned off? This is happening on both sides!

20171016_121905[1].jpg20171016_121851[1].jpg

I’ve heard of others on here mentioned these rubber things look like they’re melting, but don’t know why! I think they help align and hold the trunk in place from moving when trunk is closed. If it was me I’d be looking for replacement new ones.

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks Grand Daddy! Where this stuff came from and how much more is in there is what is troubling me. Looks like there is some trunk detailing in my future! While I'm in there I'm going to replace the lifting struts as well.

The material for the rear deck lid bumpers is similar to gel-filled, rubber motor mounts. The older the mounts get, the less they retain their conical shape and become more prone to whatever is in the interior running out.

As time goes by, there are an increasing number of posts, just like yours.

CC :wave:

I recently bought some, cuz mine were beginning to get gooey. The part # I used was:
GM p/n 10346849, bumper. I used gmpartsonline.com & they ran $3.66 each. You could probably find it cheaper.

ras

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just put new ones on mine. There are 2 of them on the trunk lid like you show and one up towards the back (seat) wall of the trunk that supports the top when it is down. You have to cycle and stop the top halfway through its operation to get at it. Just kneel on the front seat and look down in the center of the trunk area and you will see it. As for the mess the old ones leave, I cleaned it up with scott blue towels and mineral spirits. Be careful to note where the locknut on the threaded stud is before removing it because you will have to set the new ones at the same spot. If you do not you could run into issues with the top closing.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom