Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk / Keyfob issue

JWILLIS

New member. Ten year owner of a 2007 black with beige interior. We recently bought a keyfob to replace a lost one several years back. We had the dealer program the new fob and all appeared fine until trying to place groceries in the trunk later that afternoon. Trunk will not open with either keyfob nor the dash button. You can open the trunk with the key in the rear bumper and it will close with the trunk lid mounted button. Another weird quirk, if you pop the trunk with the key, you can then operate the trunk up and down with either keyfob as long as you don’t allow the lid to go fully open or closed. The keyfob will not open or close the lid from a resting position. They will operate the lid up and down if you keep the lid from completing its cycle. Took it back to the dealer because it would appear to be a programming problem since it happened right after having the keyfob programmed. They don’t have a clue. They checked the fuses, which I had already done, then basically threw their hands up and said we don’t know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had this happen years ago on my '06 XLR-V while we were on a trip. I could not put the top down or open the trunk except by the key in the bumper. I myself deduced it was the trunk latch. (15847487) Same part number for all years. Once I replaced that, had no other issue.

If you have the dealer do it, they will tell you the key in the bumper needs to be replaced as well. That is not true and it is easy to replace yourself. I had service manuals at the time to help me through it but it is not hard at all.

Last edited:
Problem Solved

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you Cubby558 for your response. I have a friend with an xlr, so one afternoon we switched latches on the cars. Result, both latches worked on his and would not work on mine. I finally tracked it down to a bad valet switch. It was physically broken and fell apart when I touched it. My guess is that it was damaged when the dealership programmed the new keyfob. Was able to get one from the dealership for a little over $10. Problem solved. Thanks again.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom