Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Trunk won’t open

BobbyT

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Just pulled out my 2005 XLR from winter storage. Trunk won’t open using the FOB button, dash button or the button on the trunk. I can hear the latch button mechanism working. I can lift the trunk manually. Negotiate sure what fuse to check. Can’t hear a relay “click” when I press the FOB trunk button. Any ideas out there? Thanks BobT

Hi BobbyT.

If you can open the trunk lid, then open the hood for a battery check and make sure it is full charge at all times or replace the unit.
Check for message on the instrument panel, then...
Check for hydraulic oil level in the pump situated in the trunk LH rear side well, low level is bad….
Check for moistures on the module next to the pump, is the well drain tube obstrue…

If the oil level is low that mean a lost of pressures ( leaks ), and the pump can not lift the trunk lid.

If you find some moistures on the module it could very well be the problem, as the computer ( module ) is the center of all the top and its rear trunk actions.

Check the fuses under the hood, 7,26,29,33 they are battery sources for the related systems.
Check the fuses inside the passenger side under the carpet, is the BCM (an other large fuse box) The fuse 22 is for the retractable top switch and the fuse 44 is for the retractable trunk latch, while you are in it, check the 8 and 32 related fuses.

Check the auxiliary relay in the same area of the passenger side, also perhaps, the block relay in the same area

The trunk lid sensor locate in the interior of the LH hinge could be check for its operation.

Visit T/H site, indicated on the heading of this page, they have produce many Videos in showing the retractable top systems and its parts functions....its very cool, maybe you will find the problem.

Give him a call, as he is the expert.

Good luck.:wave:

IAN

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean. If I lift the trunk by hand, it still won’t go stop by pushing the buttons. Thanks for your input
BobT

Hi BobT.

Find enclosed some photos/images explaining how the folding (Retractable ) top and related components works.

First the top operation, then the folding top inputs, then the 8 hydraulics cylinders and their positions, including the pump and its module. Finally the hydraulic pump oil container and the vital oil level indication.

All the cylinders parts numbers are shown for references and the name of the supplier.

Referring to the note send to John F the commun word '' strut '' is used for a decklid with cylinders already fill of gaz.... contrary to the hydraulic cylinders of the XLR.

Hope this will clarify the know how the folding top works.

Oregon is for sure faraway for the repair of your XLR, however a New York area Cadillac dealer could have the solution.
Your choice of an experience dealer that have sold many XLR could strongly help, usely they have the trained staff, the tools, the parts and a warranty, also a repair shop Cadillac/Corvette that have the same knowledge could help.

Good luck

IAN.:wave:
fold top.jpgA1  composantes pour le toit ouvrant.jpgA9    cadillacxlrdiagram[1].jpgT (5).jpg

A8 0911246Y12-003[1] - Copie.jpg

s-l1600[3].jpg
Hi John.

You mean the black gaz cylinders that support the hydraulic system, there is 2 for the lid and 2 for the top, this represent 12 cylinders for the XLR retractable top.

We most of the time ear only about the hydraulic repairs ones, however perhaps many hydraulic deck lid cylinders were changes for the only reason that….. they could be defectives.

Enclosed are the drawings were these cylinders ( black painted ) are located on the car.

( Correction…. the drawing for the deck lid, the hydraulic cylinder #11 should not read Gaz, instead it should read hydraulic)
A8 0911246Y12-003[1] - Copie.jpg

Regards.

IAN.:thumbsup

Last edited:
These babies don’t like sitting and a fair number of people have a new electronic problem when they take them out of storage. It might just need a “reboot” by disconnecting the battery. Go to google advanced search Google Advanced Search, put in *disconnect battery*, then go down and enter this site URL under “narrow results” and “site or domain.” That will help you find info on it; may be in the owners manual too but I haven’t checked.

Good luck!

Hi XLRATING.

Why not trying it, its an economical way in rebooting a battery, however a weak battery remains a battery at the end of its life.

The XLR is known for having a battery that would not stand its charge, as the multi modules needs the energy for operating, when sitting with no charge for weeks it do not pull very much, but after many weeks it will drained it and would not give the proper power for starting the car.

At springtime when getting it on the road it is wise to make first, a full battery charge and also making a test for its holding charge, if it fail then the replacement could be a solution.

Next fall, it would be wise to get a Battery TENDER, when time will come to put in storage your XLR, this way you will put all the chances on your side that your car, will start as expected in springtime.

Regards.

IAN :thumbsup

Last edited:
Well, after over a week of troubleshooting and getting the part, my trunk and top are working properly. I was told there was a switch in the trunk latch mechanism that was defective. The tech told me that the latch always told the computers the trunk was closed. Even when I had opened the trunk by hand.
I want to thank everyone for their input on trying to solve this problem. I’m ready for the open road. Thanks again!
PS. I also had water in the trunk compartments. The drains were plugged. Blew out the lines. Drains are good. Need to dry out the trunk compartments. THE COMPUTER DOESN’T LIKE MOISTURE!

Last edited:
Hi BoddyT

:) Glad that the top is working fine, this problem make you now more aware of how this retractable top is working.

IAN.:cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back