Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Vinnie 2004 XLR convertible roof not articulating

Vinnie

My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR
Wow, we have a 2004 XLR in very nice condition, but the convertible roof is not articulating. It’s been sitting at the Cadillac dealership for nearly 2 months and they have conducted some extensive troubleshooting with no results. We supposedly waiting for a factory tech to be brought in to solve the problem, but they can’t promise when that might happen. We are now considering selling the vehicle, but with the convertible roof not working, we’ve been told that a $3,000 to $4,000 reduction in selling price....ouch! So, it doesn’t seem that we have a lot of options. Option 1 Hold on to the vehicle and eventually solve the roof issue. Option 2 Sell the vehicle as is with no working roof for maybe $8,000 to $6,000. Does anyone know an XLR mechanic that may specialize with this type of problem? Appreciate your feedback.

Wow... sorry to hear your having trouble with your top.
Where are you located Vinnie?
My top stopped working after failure of the hydraulic pump and top control module which were both replaced in less than a week by the Service Tech at Parkway Cadillac in Santa Clarita. They’ve been great and have done a ton of work on my ‘06 V series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinnie,

While there are many "moving parts" to the top, your mechanical top is not an example of rocket science. If I were in your situation, I would get the car out of the hands of that dealership ASAP, and search this web site for folks who have had top issues and had them fixed nearby. Frankly, I don't think you owe that service department more than an hour's worth of diagnostic effort. If the service manager is an honest person, he won't charge you for having your car parked in his lot. I suspect that no one in the service department wants to touch your car. Hoping that you find the right place to get it fix in a timely manner, James

Welcome to the XLR Net Vinnie.

I'm going to move your thread into the XLR Tech forum for greater exposure...

TWO MONTHS SITTING?

Where in Calif. do you live? Two months at a dealership service department is 'unacceptable',,,,meaning they have no tech with XLR experience.

Might be to your advantage to drive the car to Tempe, AZ and let Danny Smith determine and fix your problem >

Cadillac, Corvette, & GM Service & Repair | Tempe, AZ

About Legends Luxury Auto Repair | Cadillac, Corvette, & GM Models

"Danny is GM Master certified and XLR Master certified"

Probably none better than Danny Smith fixing your XLR.... jmo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry,,, I hadn't read Rule62's post previously. I'd go there first since it is closer to you. Most of all,,,get your car OUT of the other service department > they don't know Jack Schitt about an XLR

Last edited:
I call shenanigans on “waiting for a factory tech” - the factory tech you need is a XLR tech & GM has repeatedly said they have no records of who received that training, which at best probably was last given in 2008. I doubt any current “factory tech” that they might get would know squat about a XLR.

Depending on where you are in California, I’d follow up on the leads from Rule62 & pure zen. Sounds like your dealer has no idea what they’re doing.

Wow, we have a 2004 XLR in very nice condition, but the convertible roof is not articulating. It’s been sitting at the Cadillac dealership for nearly 2 months and they have conducted some extensive troubleshooting with no results. We supposedly waiting for a factory tech to be brought in to solve the problem, but they can’t promise when that might happen. We are now considering selling the vehicle, but with the convertible roof not working, we’ve been told that a $3,000 to $4,000 reduction in selling price....ouch! So, it doesn’t seem that we have a lot of options. Option 1 Hold on to the vehicle and eventually solve the roof issue. Option 2 Sell the vehicle as is with no working roof for maybe $8,000 to $6,000. Does anyone know an XLR mechanic that may specialize with this type of problem? Appreciate your feedback.

Vinnie, Where are you in California. There are a couple of good dealers that can help you.
John F.

Did the top ever work?

Does the pump even come on when you hit the roof switch?

Has the dealership opperated the top manually?

Have they re-indexed the windows?

Have they done a top re-learn?

Basicly, when they try to do a re-learn the top will go up and down, even if there is a bad location sensor. If it's not going up and down durring a relearn, it's a pump or controller issue.

Seriously though, the XLR is now a 15 year old design, and 2018 cadillacs are MUCH more complicated. If they can't read the repair manual and follow simple troubleshooting steps you need to stop having you car worked on at that dealership. If you have a newer cadillac, I wouldn't let them touch it either.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom