Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Western caravans to Colorado

Jetboy

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Blue Steel XLR
We will have to wait and see. May and June are a busy time at the Police Dept as we have several events going on with a lot of overtime required.

We have a regional soccer tournament and a lot of movie and tv filming going in which require additional police resourses, so it is hard to get time off at that time of the year.

If you can't make it maybe some of us west coasters can route through town so we can at least break bread with you two :blinzel:

Spring has sprung! The weather has been good for about a week now and the MM's already have 3 trips on the books! :rocker:

Happy for you guys - I guess our next trip will be to LA to get those new wheels put on .... next stop Colorado!
'Haven't heard from the Mswaim's yet - but hoping we can meet one day out and ride in together maybe meeting up with JetBoy and (wishing) Jamsto and the Blue Bunny - We will see!

Anyone heading to Colorado from the West???

I'm pretty flexible on my timing and routing so once you know your preferred route let me know and I will hook up with you. I should have Princess back tomorrow.

If you can't make it maybe some of us west coasters can route through town so we can at least break bread with you two :blinzel:

That would be great to see everyone. Hope you can make it through. From here it is a straight shot up I-25 to Colorado Springs.

All I know for sure at this point is that we are really tight on time and cannot leave until the 22nd. We have family in St. George and are spending our first night in Mesquite with them and other family. Plan on driving straight in to Colorado Springs on Day 2.

Again, we only have the choice on the way home of leaving on the morning of the 29th and need to be home on Monday the 31st.

'Not sure on how this will all work out at this time ... except that I am sure we will be taking the I15 all the way into UT .... and back.

We need to sit down at a map and really take a look at this, it's crept up on me faster than I knew .... no excuse, just busy working which is something I haven't done in a few years .... hard to get back into the routine ..:pat: The couple from Henderson can meet us in Mesquite early in the morning and we could drive the last leg together - How's any of this fit in with your plans JetBoy?

Plan your route for the second day to CS and I will pick a point to meet you. I can stop by NM on the way back.

Let me know if anyone is headed to Colorado via Northern California and I-80. I am in the Reno NV area and would love to meet up with everyone on their way.

Cadiblk.... dropping down to I15? Mesquite?

Check with Mswaim .... they are supposed to be heading to Colorado from No CA .... hopefully ....

Ruth Ann

Mesquite is almost 550 miles away from Reno so I won't be able to make it down that far. If anyone is blazing the I-80 trail then please let me know and I can meet up during a fuel / food break.

Well, finally I have found some time to start planning our road trip to CO Springs - I thought that maybe since I was not going to have to go through AZ, NM and TEXAS that I would finally see some GREEN stuff while co-piloting --- here's what I am actually going to see as we cross Utah http://www.vimeo.com/768277 - boring ..... I can only hope that by the time we hit Colorado the scenery will change. Our drive is just over 18 hours .... we are going to go all the way over driving the I-15 and I-70 into CO. We are leaving from Mesquite, NV early morning of the 23rd - we can meet up with anyone traveling that route on in ... :)

Mswaim's ... hopefully you are still coming and we can meet up .... :wave: Kent, how about you? Anyone else?

I am clueless as how to pack as the weather has been so unpredictable this year across the US - I've been looking at Colorado weather averages and they are not really warm-warm in May or June, so .... help me out here .... should I pack jackets and long sleeves? Looks like that it might still be pretty rainy too .... shoot .... hmmmmph, maybe I just just start out in a pair of Levi's and buy a new outfit everyday to fit the forecast .... yeahhhhhh! :laugh:

RA, from Grand Junction what routes will you take to Colorado Springs? You will need to pack some light weight jackets and/or sweaters. Even if it gets warm during the day it will turn cold at night. I have had the top down the last two days and was in a long sleeve shirt. I am sure the merchants will be happy to take your dollars for new togs.:chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Well, finally I have found some time to start planning our road trip to CO Springs - I thought that maybe since I was not going to have to go through AZ, NM and TEXAS that I would finally see some GREEN stuff while co-piloting --- here's what I am actually going to see as we cross Utah http://www.vimeo.com/768277 - boring ..... I can only hope that by the time we hit Colorado the scenery will change. Our drive is just over 18 hours .... we are going to go all the way over driving the I-15 and I-70 into CO. We are leaving from Mesquite, NV early morning of the 23rd - we can meet up with anyone traveling that route on in ... :)

Mswaim's ... hopefully you are still coming and we can meet up .... :wave: Kent, how about you? Anyone else?

I am clueless as how to pack as the weather has been so unpredictable this year across the US - I've been looking at Colorado weather averages and they are not really warm-warm in May or June, so .... help me out here .... should I pack jackets and long sleeves? Looks like that it might still be pretty rainy too .... shoot .... hmmmmph, maybe I just just start out in a pair of Levi's and buy a new outfit everyday to fit the forecast .... yeahhhhhh! :laugh:

I'll meet you in Grand Junction, Colorado. Anyplace with a motel in Utah would be back tracking for me.

RA, from Grand Junction what routes will you take to Colorado Springs?

Google Maps says this: Take the ramp onto I-70 E
camera_dr1.png
167 mi
Take exit 203 for CO-9 S toward Frisco
camera_dr1.png
0.1 mi
Turn right at CO-9 S/Summit Blvd Continue to follow CO-9 S
camera_dr1.png
9.6 mi
Turn right at N Park
camera_dr1.png
1.2 mi
Turn right at CO-9 S/Main St Continue to follow CO-9 ....

And then my GPS and Google start to disagree for the last 30 miles .... and I have NO CLUE how Lola's nav system will try to bring us in ... I have found out in the last few weeks that I should set my nav, but follow my GPS - it has proven to bring us to most places much more quickly - but a couple of times the damn thing has lost satellite contact and we've had to rely on Lola.

Thanks for the advice on the jackets .... guess I'll have to go shopping .... oh shoot :chuckle

JB ... from Mesquite to Grand Junction looks to be about a 6 hour drive - I will guess that we will leave from Mesquite around 7am ... should be able to meet you around 1 or so. Does that sound reasonable? Lunch then hit the road again?? We have no experience traveling this route ... everything seems to average the driving time at about 50MPH ... that sounds pretty slow to me, but don't know the area - speed limits, etc. - and I guess some of it will depend on the road conditions and weather ... BTW .... I'd like to get into the resort before dark ....

JB ... from Mesquite to Grand Junction looks to be about a 6 hour drive - I will guess that we will leave from Mesquite around 7am ... should be able to meet you around 1 or so. Does that sound reasonable? Lunch then hit the road again?? We have no experience traveling this route ... everything seems to average the driving time at about 50MPH ... that sounds pretty slow to me, but don't know the area - speed limits, etc. - and I guess some of it will depend on the road conditions and weather ... BTW .... I'd like to get into the resort before dark ....
You will fly all the way from Mesquite to Grand Junction. Nothing to slow you down the whole way. I think you will get there earlier and then about a 4 hour drive to colorado springs plus time for breaks and Denver traffic.

You will fly all the way from Mesquite to Grand Junction. Nothing to slow you down the whole way. I think you will get there earlier and then about a 4 hour drive to colorado springs plus time for breaks and Denver traffic.
:lol: I think "somebody" told us that before while traveling from Albuquerque to OK City .... but all of the pilots got stopped in Santa Rosa ... remember????? DO NOT TELL RAY THAT HE CAN FLY! :lol:

Google Maps says this: Take the ramp onto I-70 E
camera_dr1.png
167 mi
Take exit 203 for CO-9 S toward Frisco
camera_dr1.png
0.1 mi
Turn right at CO-9 S/Summit Blvd Continue to follow CO-9 S
camera_dr1.png
9.6 mi
Turn right at N Park
camera_dr1.png
1.2 mi
Turn right at CO-9 S/Main St Continue to follow CO-9 ....

And then my GPS and Google start to disagree for the last 30 miles .... and I have NO CLUE how Lola's nav system will try to bring us in ... I have found out in the last few weeks that I should set my nav, but follow my GPS - it has proven to bring us to most places much more quickly - but a couple of times the damn thing has lost satellite contact and we've had to rely on Lola.

Thanks for the advice on the jackets .... guess I'll have to go shopping .... oh shoot :chuckle
One of my biggest faults is not knowing route numbers, I just know where I want to go and how to get there. Without looking at a map it sounds like you will be turning off I70 East at Frisco and going thru Breckenridge to Fairplay and will come into Colorado Springs on US24. If that is the case you will love leaving Breckenridge and all the switchbacks, a lot of fun. When you leave Hartsel be sure and watch for the Buffalo and possibly Hot Air Ballons before Wilkerson Pass. The scenery will be beautiful coming in that way and I am sure you will be impressed. Coming in on US24 you will want to turn right on 21st st to get to the CMR. You will pass right by Villa De Mesa Drive on you left as you go up the hill on 21st. Call me and I can be out at 21st waiting for you and take you right to the resort as I know the short cuts. I just got home from the Red Ribbon Ball which was held at the Chyenne Mt. Resort tonight. I am so full I am not about to go to bed yet. The food was excellent. I still enjoy getting into the Tux but I am glad to be home and out of it. Billy Bean was the guest speaker this year. If you don't have my home phone # send me a pm and I will get it to you before your trip.

Looks like we're having a route change ... JB, we will probably be coming up through Phoenix to Albuquerque??? I guess there's been a rock slide on the 70 and a friend of ours says that, and avoiding any of the detour routes because of that would be better .... he also advises that weather changes coming through the Rockies can never be predicted even day-to-day ... so, it makes sense that we should avoid both of those obstacles..... as soon as I get 20 minutes to myself, I'll figure out our schedule and let you know ---- and anyone else who may like to meet up ....:wave:

Looks like we're having a route change ... JB, we will probably be coming up through Phoenix to Albuquerque??? I guess there's been a rock slide on the 70 and a friend of ours says that, and avoiding any of the detour routes because of that would be better .... he also advises that weather changes coming through the Rockies can never be predicted even day-to-day ... so, it makes sense that we should avoid both of those obstacles..... as soon as I get 20 minutes to myself, I'll figure out our schedule and let you know ---- and anyone else who may like to meet up ....:wave:

The rock slide has been cleared up and the pavement repaired for sometime now. Steel netting has been installed so Interstate 70 is flowing like it should. By the time you leave our weather will be much better.

The rock slide has been cleared up and the pavement repaired for sometime now. Steel netting has been installed so Interstate 70 is flowing like it should. By the time you leave our weather will be much better.
I'm glad to hear that the rocks are cleaned up - but I think we will still go the other route - works out better for us actually .. Albuquerque is always a great place to stop ..... got friends there! :blinzel: Who knows - maybe they'll join up with us ...

I'm glad to hear that the rocks are cleaned up - but I think we will still go the other route - works out better for us actually .. Albuquerque is always a great place to stop ..... got friends there! :blinzel: Who knows - maybe they'll join up with us ...

Coming thru Albq. may even be closer, maybe Jean & Jim will come with you, that would be great.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom