Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR CERTIFIED TECH INFO: GM Goodwrench Develops World-Class Training Regiment For Cadillac XLR

kmariebox

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black
IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE A KNOWLEDGEABLE & TRUSTED TECH/SERVICE DEPT AT A DEALERSHIP, BESURE TO CALL AROUND AND TRY TO FIND A 'CERTIFIED XLR TECH'. UNFORTUNATELY, I'M IN PHOENIX AND HAVE YET TO FIND ONE. I STUMBLED UPON THIS A LITTLE WHILE AGO, AS I WAS TRYING TO FIND INFO ON MY XLR'S TOP PROBLEMS:

May 12, 2003

GRAND BLANC, Michigan. - Maintenance of the XLR at Cadillac dealerships across the country will be an exclusive experience.

The XLR features a number of GM and Cadillac firsts, and dealership technicians will be required to complete special training to become "Brand Certified" on the vehicle.

At each of the select 950 Cadillac dealerships that have qualified to sell the XLR, at least one GM Goodwrench technician will have completed 35 hours of extensive training to be able to be maintain the all-new roadster.

"XLR is one of the most technically sophisticated cars in the world today," said Peter Lord, executive director, GM Service Operations. "And we want to ensure that our GM Goodwrench technicians understand all of the ins and outs of the advanced technology featured in XLR."

The advanced service training is necessary because the XLR will be the first Cadillac to offer adaptive cruise control and electronic cam phasers. Other unique features include a retractable hardtop, head-up display, heated and cooled seats, keyless access with push-button start, and navigation and DVD entertainment.

XLR also features a longitudinally mounted 4.6-liter V-8 Northstar engine. Other Cadillacs have mounted the engine transversely under the hood. Another feature requiring special service care is the roadster's rear-mounted transmission that helps give the XLR nearly 50/50 weight distribution from front to rear. And the transmission connects to the engine via an innovative structural center tunnel that houses the driveline connecting the engine to XLR's rear-mounted transmission.

The certification course work includes two 1-hour videos, three 3-hour Interactive Distance Learning classes, and live broadcasts that cover training on specific areas of the car.

Completion of the introductory classes qualifies a technician to participate in the 3-day seminar at one of the six regional GM training centers. Technicians become "Brand Certified" XLR technicians upon completion of the seminar, which includes a half-day final exam where technicians demonstrate their proficiencies on servicing the XLR.

"Under its skin, the XLR offers a harmonious blend of technologies and materials meant to add pleasure, not complexity, to the driving experience," Lord said. "When the luxury roadster rolls off the assembly line this summer, Mr. Goodwrench is poised to have all the tools and training to keep XLR owners on the road."

It would really be wonderful if the course material would be made available by GM. Heck, I'd sure pay for the videos, and the materials from the classes (provided it didn't become the "GM Financial Recovery Program"; :chuckle am I alone on this? :confused:

Tim.

The course material is available, if you can find it. There are two booklets and a DVD.

The booklets are:

1) 2004 Cadillac XLR Features Course # 10346.50B
2) 2004 Cadillac XLR Systems Course # 10346.55B

and the DVD is "Cadillac XLR Folding Top Service Procedures" (February 2005) from the GM Service Technical College. Length 1:45. The Features manual is pretty basic, but the Systems manual is full of useful information. The DVD is very good, especially if you have a Tech 2.

I was able to find them on eBay about five years ago. They occasionally pop up for sale.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Tim, you are NOT alone- I hear ya! :wave:

CC, thank you! :thumbsup I'm gonna go on a hunt for the books and DVD!

I just was on amazon and found this. 2004 - 2009 CADILLAC XLR/XLR-V PART NUMBERS, LABOR & PRICE ILLUSTRATED SHEETS:Amazon:Everything Else
7e46192c3dffce4522ebcdf89aa391c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The course material is available, if you can find it. There are two booklets and a DVD.

The booklets are:

1) 2004 Cadillac XLR Features Course # 10346.50B
2) 2004 Cadillac XLR Systems Course # 10346.55B

and the DVD is "Cadillac XLR Folding Top Service Procedures" (February 2005) from the GM Service Technical College. Length 1:45. The Features manual is pretty basic, but the Systems manual is full of useful information. The DVD is very good, especially if you have a Tech 2.

I was able to find them on eBay about five years ago. They occasionally pop up for sale.

If and when you find out please let us know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the good 'ole days (2004-2005) when one could type, "Cadillac XLR" in the search box on eBay and maybe 200 items would appear. It took a minute or two to browse through them and move on with my glamorous life. Now, two hundred identical brake pads clog the bowl of XLR-related browsing productivity. The next sound I hear is my forehead hitting the keyboard as I nod off.

Here's my take on a digital data plunger:

The best method for anyone interested in catching any of this XLR training material when/if it shows up on eBay is to set up a notification/search parameter within your account. For instance, maybe that electric dog polisher you're been saving up for is fully funded. When an electric dog polisher for sale appears, an email notification will be sent.

I've waited up to two years for a particular item to show up for sale in order to bid on it. By then, whatever it was might not even be relevant to my existence any more, so I save time & money ! With the thousands of XLR-related items (and a great percentage are next to worthless) listed, I don't have the hours required to scroll through them all (how else could I find the time to post here?!)

Last edited:
Looking for a TECH in metro PHX,,,,,

kmarie,,,

WELCOME to the website...

You might try Danny Smith,,nearly 30 years as a Certified Cadillac Tech and Master Certified on XLRs

Legends Luxury Auto Repair (Independent shop) 2412 North Scottsdale Road
Tempe, Arizona 480-947-2848

Legends Luxury Auto Repair

kmarie,,,

WELCOME to the website...

You might try Danny Smith,,nearly 30 years as a Certified Cadillac Tech and Master Certified on XLRs

Legends Luxury Auto Repair (Independent shop) 2412 North Scottsdale Road
Tempe, Arizona 480-947-2848

Legends Luxury Auto Repair

Hi Pure Zen & thank you! I was actually contacted just a few days ago, by a guy named Al (through the Allante/XLR Club) here in Phoenix and he also gave me Danny's number. I went and saw Danny yesterday and he was an absolute God-send!

He had my car yesterday for about an hour and it is officially fixed- and for just $350! Seventy-five percent of my problem was just needing a SOFTWARE UPDATE! The other 25% was a quick & simple adjustment to one sensor.

I am now headed to the dealership to have a one-on-one with the service manager... They initially wanted to charge me $1900 for the part alone (hydraulic pump), which was $565 ABOVE LIST PRICE ($1335). I called another dealership within 5 miles and they quoted me list price! I called my dealership back and told them to match it or forget it... They matched it. They never had a correct diagnosis and the problem was not ever resolved by them. Also, when I asked for my old pump back, they were unable to comply for whatever reason. I will either wind up with a full refund or they will wind-up with reviews on the internet that will indeed effect their reputation. Wish me luck!

I may be out $2k, but at least I found Danny... That's almost worth two grand in itself!

Thanks again!

happy in PHX,,,

Glad you found Danny to find and fix your correct problem....... he is first rate guy!!

It is awesome to have a Master Certified XLR tech available to us,,,,and in a non-dealership shop. He doesn't have to mark-up parts 2 1/2 times over cost,,, which makes owners un-happy!

Good luck with your dealer arbitration situation!

I remember the good 'ole days (2004-2005) when one could type, "Cadillac XLR" in the search box on eBay and maybe 200 items would appear. It took a minute or two to browse through them and move on with my glamorous life. Now, two hundred identical brake pads clog the bowl of XLR-related browsing productivity. The next sound I hear is my forehead hitting the keyboard as I nod off.

Here's my take on a digital data plunger:

The best method for anyone interested in catching any of this XLR training material when/if it shows up on eBay is to set up a notification/search parameter within your account. For instance, maybe that electric dog polisher you're been saving up for is fully funded. When an electric dog polisher for sale appears, an email notification will be sent.

I've waited up to two years for a particular item to show up for sale in order to bid on it. By then, whatever it was might not even be relevant to my existence any more, so I save time & money ! With the thousands of XLR-related items (and a great percentage are next to worthless) listed, I don't have the hours required to scroll through them all (how else could I find the time to post here?!)

You can use - (the minus character) in the search string to exclude stuff... + requires stuff. Like this:

cadillac xlr -"brake pad" +fob -"key chain"

Not perfect, but better than 100,000+ hits

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry