Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR OWNERS JOIN ME FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST GENERAL MOTORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLRLOVER

My XLR/V(s)
2009 Cherry Mist XLR Platinum Convertible
I own a beautiful 2009 XLR limited edition platinum convertible and can't get replacement parts for a 7 year old car.

I contacted Morgan and Morgan attorneys at law. They are interested in filing a Class Action lawsuit against General Motors if enough XLR owners voice a complaint about
no replacement parts available. I am coordinating this project.

Please forward all complaints about the lack of parts and the make and years of your cars to me. beachestaxservices@comcast.net

The lawsuit will be pro bono. So no cost to us until a settlement has been negotiated with GM.

Thank you for your help! I can not drive my car at night because the drivers left tail light assembly went out and no one knows how to fix it and no replacement part can be found anywhere.

Sounds good

I'm in.

So, let me start off with saying that I'm neither for or against this class action law suit, however, I felt the need to chime in here and share my thoughts or questions regarding this issue.

I've owned a 1990 Corvette ZR-1 since September of 1994. Production was from 1990 - 1995 and very limited....I believe a total of 6,979 built?

The engine, doors, rear quarter panels and rear bumper are unique to the ZR-1; never used on any other Corvette or GM automobile.

Luckily, I've never had any major problems with the car after 40K miles on the odometer, but I did stock pile, a small cache of parts such as a water pump, spark plug wires, starter, etc. ZR-1 / LT5 engine parts started to become scarce even as production of the car was winding down in 1995.

Now? Good luck trying to find engine parts - and if you do, you're going to pay a hefty price for them. You're going to need double the luck trying to find a ZR-1 door, rear quarter or rear bumper should, God forbid, you get into an accident.

1984 - 1996 Corvette parts are extremely scarce - especially interior parts.

While I'm talking about much older Corvettes - I'm willing to bet that the same issue exists for 2005 - 2013 Corvettes - just not to that extent...YET.

So my biggest question with this class action lawsuit is, how long should an automotive manufacturer be required to store all parts necessary for all of the cars they build for all years of production.

While I can understand it's frustrating that some parts are non-existant - and you can't drive the car without them - this is something that should be expected as a possibility as a car ages and the model is cancelled or drastically changed by the manufacturer. No?

You make a very valid point with these statements. My point in the lawsuit is simply this... if you no longer have an interest in these cars whether financial or other, release molds and patents to outside vendors to make dollars as well as parts. Make them accessible to body shops and the owners such as myself needing a tail lamp assembly. It won't be long before many of us can't drive our cars due to no rear lights. Mine won't pass inspection now because of the tail light. Scarce parts are one thing but no parts is ridiculous. My opinion only.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

You make a very valid point with these statements. My point in the lawsuit is simply this... if you no longer have an interest in these cars whether financial or other, release molds and patents to outside vendors to make dollars as well as parts. Make them accessible to body shops and the owners such as myself needing a tail lamp assembly. It won't be long before many of us can't drive our cars due to no rear lights. Mine won't pass inspection now because of the tail light. Scarce parts are one thing but no parts is ridiculous. My opinion only.

I understand, but depending on the part or component, it might not be a part that GM manufactured - hence they don't have the molds or the patents. In the case of the rear brake light assembly, those assemblies were probably manufactured by a Tier 1 or Tier 2 automotive supplier and shipped to the assembly plant.

The Corvette Assembly Plant is just that - an assembly plant. Most of the components of the cars used for assembly there, are sub-assemblies built at other companies.

A good example is some of the seats used in GM's cars in the past were manufactured by Lear Corporation. That means, the stitching, the leather, SIR bags, heating/cooling assemblies and wiring, etc., were all manufactured at Lear (or other companies and then assembled at Lear) and shipped to GM's individual assembly plants.

At that point, it's really not up to GM to release molds or patents to something they don't have.

This issue of parts running out for cars over the years is nothing unique to GM. It happens to all automotive manufacturers - from Ford and Chrysler to BMW and Ferrari.

Please understand, I'm not trying to dissuade you from anything. I just want to make sure that you're looking at the bigger picture and aware of the potential questions an attorney will ask you to consider before you potentially waste time and money pursuing a class action law suit.

We already know the law suit is over, (before it got started). So that's dead. Assembly plant or manufacturer, if the molds are out there somebody should make them available. If Cadillac doesn't own them they should know where to direct us if persuaded. This is what I'm believing. I appreciate your input and logic. Makes me think...

Rob - you make a lot of points I've wondered about, & you have the personal experience to back them up.

If you go to car shows or watch collector car auctions, there are just so many cars you see that you think, "wow, how do you find parts for THAT?" All the way down to the last time I was at my dealer, & a newer Saab was in for repairs & the dealer was telling me how hard it is to find parts for them & how expensive they are when you find them.

So, I had kind of wondered about the likelihood of success of trying to force GM to do anything about parts, but I'm always hopeful. It doesn't make me any happier, but our "newer" cars are probably in the same boat as older classics part-wise, due to the short production run.

At least Rob's comments mean I don't feel bad that I didn't get a Corvette instead! :squint: Rather have parts difficulty with my XLR if I'm going to have that anyway ....

I think we have reached a point where if you depend on your XLR for transportation you may want to consider replacing it with something else. Those of us who don't use our XLR on a regular basis will be able to keep our cars even if they are not driveable although I never thought about turning my garage into a museum. I keep getting visions of a tail light for a boat trailer grafted in place of one of the XLR tail lights so I can keep driving my XLR.... not good!

It's unfortunate. I wish I would have researched this before this big dollar purchase. I bought this car to drive and enjoy, not as a show piece to sit in a garage and admire. I love this RED ROCKET. I had a 07 Pontiac Solstice I bought brand new. I sold it and bought this one. I have 3 other vehicles but preferentially would drive the XLR daily. That's why I bought it. You guys who prefer babying your cars in nice warm garages sitting all winter long only driving in warm sunny climates, I applaud you. I believe in using mine. I put over 2500 miles on the XLR the first week I bought it. Unfortunately the fuel pump died is what slowed that roll. It only had 61,000 miles on it. Over 63,000 now and it just sits. I'm disappointed because you can pretty much find parts for anything built in the 50s, 60s, 70s etc. but a less than 10 year old car, none bodywise. After reading Rob's words of wisdom, I guess we're stuck with the knowledge of Cadillac not being the only company to do this. So now I'm on the fence about selling it or holding on. (Venting)

I have been working in the automotive field for 45 years. In the 70's all of the manufacturers supported replacement parts for an additional 10 years after changing body styles or discontinuing a line. I need a new left headlight for my 07 XLR and can't find any new or used.
Count me in on the lawsuit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been working in the automotive field for 45 years. In the 70's all of the manufacturers supported replacement parts for an additional 10 years after changing body styles or discontinuing a line. I need a new left headlight for my 07 XLR and can't find any new or used.
Count me in on the lawsuit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go read this posting

It's a dead issue

Count me in.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!