Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR-V Front Tire Size Change

2barhaven2

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Xenon Blue XLR-V
I know there have been detailed threads before on the topic of tire size changes, but I have what I hope is a simple(?!) question, if anyone can help. I am thinking about replacing the tires on my '07 XLR-V. The rears are no problem to replace with the stock size, but the fronts (235/45/19) are not available in all tire brands and categories. I am thinking of switching to non-run flats (I know there are differing opinions re that, but I have decided to go to a softer-riding tire). I am wondering if anyone has experience with increasing the fronts to 255/40/19 (same as rears), or as a second choice, 245/45/19? For either of these sizes, would there be any clearance issues, suspension or fender, including at full lock with driver and passenger and a cornering suspension loading? I would be using the stock XLR-V wheels. I would appreciate any advice anyone may have to give.

Several of us with V's are running the same size as the rears all the way around with absolutely no problems.

I run the same size as the rear on the front also without any problems. I went non run flat Yokahama S.Drive 255 40 19 all around shipped duty taxes all in $1050 to London ON. Decent tire for the money. Only negative is some tire thump when cold for the first few minutes of driving.

Dunlops

I have another brand, Dunlop sticky tires. They make a tire that is very soft and will not lay rubber all over the road at a light when you mash it. It just sits and goes like a rocket. They wear very well considering the grab effect in summer, but I find they get hard after 3 years and lose the grab in the winter because they don't heat up. I'm do my third change out come the colder months, ha ha in Southern Californy. I also gave up run flats because you cant get these in run flats and now I can rotate my tires. DON'T go bigger than stock rears, I tore my back inner fenders up and it was all on the company that said they had plenty of clearance and they replaced all four at no charge.:blinzel: Standby
I know there have been detailed threads before on the topic of tire size changes, but I have what I hope is a simple(?!) question, if anyone can help. I am thinking about replacing the tires on my '07 XLR-V. The rears are no problem to replace with the stock size, but the fronts (235/45/19) are not available in all tire brands and categories. I am thinking of switching to non-run flats (I know there are differing opinions re that, but I have decided to go to a softer-riding tire). I am wondering if anyone has experience with increasing the fronts to 255/40/19 (same as rears), or as a second choice, 245/45/19? For either of these sizes, would there be any clearance issues, suspension or fender, including at full lock with driver and passenger and a cornering suspension loading? I would be using the stock XLR-V wheels. I would appreciate any advice anyone may have to give.

DON'T go bigger than stock rears, I tore my back inner fenders up and it was all on the company that said they had plenty of clearance and they replaced all four at no charge.:blinzel: Standby

Do you remember what the size of the rear tires were, that tore out your inner fenders?

larger tires

No I don't, but they were one size wider than the stock rears on my V. Drove from So. Cal. to San Antonio and back and could here it hitting every so often, by the time I got back the tire had cut into the inner liner in the rear. Had a nice look with those wide tires. :bash:
Do you remember what the size of the rear tires were, that tore out your inner fenders?

Well: I FINALLY got new tires on my 2007 V; Michelin Pilot Super Sport, 255/40-19 all around. I put them on a new set of chromed stock XLR-V wheels, and they look good!!! (at least to me). They seem to ride a lot more smoothly than the original run-flats. Thanks to all who replied to this thread; I really appreciate the help on this. BTW, I am wondering what the optimal tire pressures would be. Since the new ones are not run-flats, and the front size has gone to 255/40 vs. 235/45, would there be a reason to change from the factory recommended 30psi on each corner? I'm mainly interested in a smooth ride. I know there have been some separate threads on this point in the past, but perhaps it is still appropriate to ask here?

Well: I FINALLY got new tires on my 2007 V; Michelin Pilot Super Sport, 255/40-19 all around. I put them on a new set of chromed stock XLR-V wheels, and they look good!!! (at least to me). They seem to ride a lot more smoothly than the original run-flats. Thanks to all who replied to this thread; I really appreciate the help on this. BTW, I am wondering what the optimal tire pressures would be. Since the new ones are not run-flats, and the front size has gone to 255/40 vs. 235/45, would there be a reason to change from the factory recommended 30psi on each corner? I'm mainly interested in a smooth ride. I know there have been some separate threads on this point in the past, but perhaps it is still appropriate to ask here?

When you have time, would you post some pictures of your new tires. I've been on the fence about putting the same size tire all the way around (appearance). I would like to see how yours turned out.

Here are a couple of pix of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports installed on the '07 V; stock wheels, front size upped to 255/40-19. No rubbing or other interference. Hope this is of some help, Victor-V.

DSC00725.jpgIMG_0428.jpgIMG_0434.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0442.jpg

Yes, the picts did help. Everything looks fantastic. :wave:

Nice bricks too! :laugh:

Re the shoes, I'm so glad you like them;I ALWAYS dress up when I am preparing a post on the Forum. Re the bricks, I will send you one if you will pay the expedited postage! However, I confess that I am devastated that no one admired the chunk of lawn in photo 2!
BTW, on the day I took those photos, I was leaving on my annual visit to the show car collection of a friend of mine. He has 50+ vehicles in a purpose-built show place, including 1929 and 1931 Cadillac Phaetons, a 1953 Eldorado ( as well as the companion Olds Fiesta and Buick Skylark from that year), and 1954 and 1959 Eldorados. All are professionally restored and in concours condition. If you are interested you can see many of them at www.vernonsantiquetoyshop.ca.

Re the shoes, I'm so glad you like them;I ALWAYS dress up when I am preparing a post on the Forum. Re the bricks, I will send you one if you will pay the expedited postage! However, I confess that I am devastated that no one admired the chunk of lawn in photo 2!
BTW, on the day I took those photos, I was leaving on my annual visit to the show car collection of a friend of mine. He has 50+ vehicles in a purpose-built show place, including 1929 and 1931 Cadillac Phaetons, a 1953 Eldorado ( as well as the companion Olds Fiesta and Buick Skylark from that year), and 1954 and 1959 Eldorados. All are professionally restored and in concours condition. If you are interested you can see many of them at www.vernonsantiquetoyshop.ca.

What nice green grass you have. :laugh: Your friend has an awesome collection of toys. :worship:

I thought about the grass, nice color but TOO MANY WEEDS! :reddevil

As for the brick such a deal..I have to shake my piggy bank to see if I can indeed afford the postage. :(

Great looking toys!

:wave:

As for the weeds in my so-called "lawn", here in the freezing North we'll take whatever grows green! And yes, Vernon's toys are nice (and then some!).:chuckle

As for the weeds in my so-called "lawn", here in the freezing North we'll take whatever grows green! And yes, Vernon's toys are nice (and then some!).:chuckle

I'D like to be friends with Vernon to get to visit that collection! It would even be worth moving up north to have some desperately weedy grass!

Continental ContiProContact makes a good 235/45 R19 V for your XLR-V front tires

When you have time, would you post some pictures of your new tires. I've been on the fence about putting the same size tire all the way around (appearance). I would like to see how yours turned out.

Cadillac engineers put a lot of time into designing the proper size for the front tires of your V. Continental ContiProContact makes a good 235/45 R19 V for your XLR-V front tires. Continental is a good tire and a good value at $208 per tire from Discount Tire.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom