Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR-V Thermostat

thumper

My XLR/V(s)
2008 XLR-V
I got the Engine Hot - A/C Off message on the dic for the second time. Engine not hot. Temp gauge reads low.
The first time it happened a mechanic friend reset the error code and I was ok for a couple of months.
This time, I figured I better take it in to the dealer.
Dealer said I need a new thermostat. I read on this and other forums that that usually fixes this problem.
He said the thermostat is really hard to get at so he needs 3 hrs to do the change. Plus he has to FedEx the thermostat and gasket from the States to Canada bringing the total cost up to almost $600.

Is it really that hard to change the thermostat? I don't even know where it is.

I had the same issue a year or so ago. It's a standard thermostat, same as any Chevy 5.3 or 6.0 liter V8 and takes about 10 - 15 minutes to change. Two bolts on top of the engine. Don't let them feed you a line like that!

I had the same issue a year or so ago. It's a standard thermostat, same as any Chevy 5.3 or 6.0 liter V8 and takes about 10 - 15 minutes to change. Two bolts on top of the engine. Don't let them feed you a line like that!

You are absolutely right!

I picked up the car 2 days later and the charge was $625.84. I was told that this was so high because there were a lot of things that needed to be removed to get to the thermostat. I have since found that that is not the case. Dealer charged me for 4 hrs labor. I went to two other GM dealers and one independent mechanic and all three quoted between 1.1 hrs and 1.5 hrs to change my thermostat.

I went back to the dealer that did the work and asked them to explain the charges. They said “Too bad. That is what the mechanic took to do the job.”

I was under the impression that the reason we pay $100 plus per hour for GM mechanics is because they are so well trained. This guy took 4 hrs to do a 1.5 hr job.

And they wonder why GM is losing customers.
:mad:

BTW, here is the procedure for the V. The 4.6L is identical except the thermostat housing has 3 bolts instead of 2.

ENGINE COOLANT THERMOSTAT HOUSING REPLACEMENT (LC3)

VThermo.JPG
Fig. 131: View Of Thermostat Housing & Bolts

Removal Procedure

Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
1. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (GE 47716) or Draining and
Filling Cooling System (Static Fill).
2. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement .
3. Remove the radiator hose from the thermostat housing. Refer to Radiator Outlet Hose Replacement.
4. Remove the heater hose from the thermostat housing.
5. Remove the thermostat housing bolts.
6. Remove the thermostat housing (1) with thermostat (3), from the water housing.
7. Remove and discard the seal ring (2).
8. Remove the thermostat from the thermostat housing.

Installation Procedure
Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
1. Clean the thermostat housing and water housing sealing surfaces.
2. Install the thermostat (3) to the thermostat housing (1).
3. Install the NEW seal (2) to the thermostat housing.
4. Install the thermostat housing (1) with the thermostat (3) and the seal (2) to the water housing.
5. Install the thermostat housing bolts.
Tighten: Tighten the thermostat housing bolts to 10 N.m (89 lb in).
6. Install the heater hose to the thermostat housing.
7. Install the radiator hose to the thermostat housing. Refer to Radiator Outlet Hose Replacement.
8. Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement .
9. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (GE 47716) or Draining and
Filling Cooling System (Static Fill).

Attachments

• VThermo1.jpg
    VThermo1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 2,591
You are absolutely right!

I picked up the car 2 days later and the charge was $625.84. I was told that this was so high because there were a lot of things that needed to be removed to get to the thermostat. I have since found that that is not the case. Dealer charged me for 4 hrs labor. I went to two other GM dealers and one independent mechanic and all three quoted between 1.1 hrs and 1.5 hrs to change my thermostat.

I went back to the dealer that did the work and asked them to explain the charges. They said “Too bad. That is what the mechanic took to do the job.”

I was under the impression that the reason we pay $100 plus per hour for GM mechanics is because they are so well trained. This guy took 4 hrs to do a 1.5 hr job.

And they wonder why GM is losing customers.
:mad:

I suppose if you followed the removal and re-installation instructions verbatim you could spend an hour doing it. I didn't drain the coolant and didn't disconnect the hoses and just separated the housing and swapped the thermostats and then topped off the coolant. About 15 minutes and that was because I am not a Cadillac mechanic! That's really sad that a dealer would treat a customer that way. They all have books that specify the time required to change parts. I'm sure that book does not show 4 hours. We had an incompetent Cadillac dealer that we bought our STS from and they are no longer a Cadillac dealer. Sounds like there are a few more out there that need to go away.

Rob

Just got 2006 xlr v recently dealer said they changed thermosat, drove it 3 times. Engine hot a/c off just came on
read threads from other members Thx. Top heater hose was sucked flat, opened filler tank, hose came back to normal
think maybe an air lock? Can I rest code myself? Any help would be really appreciated.

It does sound like that happened. Need to run with the cap off. Let the thermostat open once or twice to cycle the fluid through. Keep a eye on the levels. The car will reset after so many miles and no problems persist.

XLR V Thermostat

Rob
you need to watch out for the V'S when changing the thermostat. The V'S have an auxiliary pump to cool the super chargers . Shop procedure when filling the system has you run the supercharger pump with a tech 2 to fill it and also bleed air off super charger. Some on the forum say the super charger coolant is totally independent from the engine coolant. Personally I do not think that is the case. Sounds as though your dealer did not bleed all the air out of the systems.I'm hoping that is the case!!! When I changed my stat on my 06 V I didn't own a tech 2 at the time so what I did was fill the supercharger with the plate on the top of the super charger. I had to run and fill this a few times till I completely filled it. I would check this on your V by taking the plate off the top of supercharger when the system is completely cool. (No pressure on system). The supercharger should be full to the plate upon removal. If not add coolant to fill. If it wasn't filled start and run a few times to ensure complete fill of supercharger. Hope this help at least to understand the system.
V Happy;)
PS When I changed mine it was about an hour and a half with flushing all the old coolant out.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom