2004 - 2009 Cadillac XLR: Service Bulletin: #PIC3379D: HUD - Head Up Display Information - Multiple Conditions or Questions - (Nov 27, 2012)
#PIC3379D: HUD - Head Up Display Information - Multiple Conditions or Questions - (Nov 27, 2012)
||HUD - Head Up Display Information - Multiple Conditions or Questions
||2010 - 2013 Buick LaCrosse
|1999 - 2005 Buick Park Avenue
|2013 Cadillac ATS
|2005 - 2011 Cadillac STS
|2004 - 2009 Cadillac XLR
|2013 Cadillac XTS
|2011 - 2013 Chevrolet Camaro
|1999 - 2013 Chevrolet Corvette
|2007 - 2013 GMC Acadia
|1999 - 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
|1999 - 2005 Pontiac Bonneville
This PI was superseded to update model list and model years. Please discard PIC3379C.
- The HUD image may not appear clear. If inspected closely, there appears to be two similar images, often described as a ghost image. This concern may be noticeable especially during low ambient light conditions - early morning or in the evening - or when a dark object is present in front of the vehicle in the viewing area of the HUD.
- All segments of the HUD illuminate intermittently.
- Poor/hazy HUD image.
- The HUD image is projected on the surface of the windshield glass. Since a windshield is composed of two thicknesses of glass, there are two reflections. In order to align these two images, a wedged shape plastic laminate is used between the two layers of glass. If the dimensions of the plastic laminate are not correct, the images will not fully align and the HUD image will not appear clear. In order to diagnose this condition, you can apply Vaseline to the outside of the windshield in the area of the HUD display. If there is no longer a ghost image, the problem can be attributed to the windshield. The extent of the ghosting can be helpful in determining if the vehicle has the proper windshield. If the ghosting offset is greater than 25% of the width of a line/bar of a HUD character, the vehicle likely does not have a HUD windshield. If the offset is less, or the vehicle definitely has a HUD windshield, another windshield can be installed that may have less distortion/variance. Use of a non-OEM HUD windshield may result in this condition. HUD windshields should be identified in the lower right corner of the windshield.
- Under certain ambient lighting conditions, it could appear that all of the various segments within the HUD are on, and/or the inside of the HUD box will be visible in the windshield. Typically, further questioning of the customer will reveal a correlation between the time of day and what direction the vehicle is traveling in relation to the sun. This is a normal condition if the sun is shining at a certain angle directly into the HUD display.
- New IP pads may emit fumes that cause a film to form on the HUD lens. Regular household cleaners will not remove this type of film. Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol should be used to clean the lens. Use a soft cloth and GENTLY clean the HUD lens.
- Customer Information
For situations whereby the sun is shining directly into the HUD display, please communicate to the customer this condition is a normal operating characteristic of their vehicle. It will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle. Please share this information with the customer, including a copy of this message.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Article ID: 113
Created: March 14, 2017
Last Updated: March 14, 2017
Author: Rob Loszewski
Online URL: https://www.xlr-net.com/knowledgebase/article/2004-2009-cadillac-xlr-service-bulletin-pic3379d-hud-head-up-display-information-multiple-conditions-or-questions-nov-27-2012-113.html