20004 - 2009 Cadillac XLR: Service Information: #PIC4879A: Heads Up Display Inoperative
#PIC4879A: Heads Up Display Inoperative - keywords blank bright dark day dim HUD inop inoperative intermittent night sun up windshield - (Oct 8, 2008)
|Subject:||Heads Up Display Inoperative|
|Models:||2004 - 2009 Cadillac XLR|
|2005 - 2009 Chevrolet Corvette|
This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC4879.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Some customers may comment that the Heads Up Display (HUD) may be inoperative. This concern may occur during the day or night. This may be caused by any of the following items.
- Adjustment of the HUD (up/down) position between drivers is not set correctly for current driver.
- Driver Position Selected
- Auto Lighting operation and Dimming of the HUD Display
- Type of Sun Glasses Being Worn by the Customer.
To correct this concern, please review the following.
- The HUD is adjustable up/down. Use the up/down button to see if the HUD is simply out of adjustment.
- The Up/Down feature of the HUD is programmable between driver positions 1 and 2. Be sure the correct driver was selected and the HUD is adjusted correctly for each driver.
- The HUD has two dimming positions. One for daylight and one for darkness. Using the Tech2, monitor the ambient light sensor. Be sure the ambient light sensor value is correct for the current type of light conditions. Using the dimming feature, adjust to max brightness and re-evaluate operation of the HUD.
Note: When the vehicle is brought inside, the ambient light sensor will typically read a value equivalent to darkness (auto headlights turn on, IP and HUD dim.)
- Question the customer if they use any type of sun glasses that are polarized. Most polarized glasses are designed to reduce images and glare. When the customer experiences this concern, have them remove their glasses to see if the HUD image returns. This is a normal function of Polarized glasses. Note: Depending on the sun glass quality, some polarized glasses are more filtering than others.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.