Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default XLR-V Supercharger coolant level inspection

Here is the procedure for inspecting & adding coolant to the supercharger's air cooling system;
    Bruce

Life's too short to drive a boring car

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared XLR-V

Thanks Bruce, mine was a little low so I topped it off. Then I started wondering about what do they do for expansion when it gets hot. Is there an expansion tank somewhere or does the air gap on the top at the inspection point serve that purpose?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onalaska View Post
    Thanks Bruce, mine was a little low so I topped it off. Then I started wondering about what do they do for expansion when it gets hot. Is there an expansion tank somewhere or does the air gap on the top at the inspection point serve that purpose?
    Yes, that is what the air gap is for. The 4.4 S/C in the STS had a small coolant tank where you could check the fluid level.
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006-V black, ebony

Question

What is meant by the "Important" statement "Make sure that ...................... and that the pump is not in the ON position" ?
    What is meant by pump being in the ON position. I am not aware of any way to turn off or on the "pump". Whatever that is.

Thanks Cad
    Rusty 06 V

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tech View Post
    Here is the procedure for inspecting & adding coolant to the supercharger's air cooling system;

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by klaptrapper View Post
    What is meant by the "Important" statement "Make sure that ...................... and that the pump is not in the ON position" ?
    What is meant by pump being in the ON position. I am not aware of any way to turn off or on the "pump". Whatever that is.

Thanks Cad
    Rusty 06 V
    The pump is on the right or passenger inner fender. The ON position would be with the ignition in the RUN position.
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006-V black, ebony

Smile

The pump is on the right or passenger inner fender. The ON position would be with the ignition in the RUN position.
    Got it. Thanks, Cad

Rusty 06 V

Post Thanks / Like

Where are the instructions? Is there an attachment I'm not seeing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes thumper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR-V

"Here" = where?
    I don't see any procedure.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know how to check the fluid level? I took the top metal plate off, didn't see any coolant but it's pretty shalllow.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know how to check the supercharger coolant level. Took it to Cadillac but who knows if they actually checked it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 XLR-V Tuxedo Black on Black

Default 2006 XLR-V Cooling System including the Supercharger coolant.

As far as I'm concerned, if it isn't in the Owners Manual, it doesn't have to be checked. If you lose coolant, your Display Instrument Cluster (DIC) will print out a message indicating your coolant is too low. Stop, let the engine cool off, top off the coolant reservoir and take your car in for service as soon as possible. In most cases, your water pump is leaking and needs replacement.

I have owned my 2006 XLR-V since new. Other than having the coolant changed at 50,000 miles, the coolant lever has only required a visual check. At 73,000 miles I received a check coolant level warning on my DIC which resulted in having the water pump replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 XLR-V Infra Red, 2-Tone Intr, RII, RIII & RIV survivor, Mdwst Maurader

PTpro,

The supercharger coolant system is separate from the engine coolant system and is a closed system. There are instructions for checking this and adding coolant in the service manuals. If you took it to the dealer to have this done, I'm sure they checked it while doing the other coolant system if you asked them to check it. There is no reservoir like the engine coolant system.

Quote Originally Posted by PTpro View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if it isn't in the Owners Manual, it doesn't have to be checked. If you lose coolant, your Display Instrument Cluster (DIC) will print out a message indicating your coolant is too low. Stop, let the engine cool off, top off the coolant reservoir and take your car in for service as soon as possible. In most cases, your water pump is leaking and needs replacement.

I have owned my 2006 XLR-V since new. Other than having the coolant changed at 50,000 miles, the coolant lever has only required a visual check. At 73,000 miles I received a check coolant level warning on my DIC which resulted in having the water pump replaced.

Cubby558

"If you want to blend in, Ride the Bus"