Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Folding Top

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cadillac XLR

    2004 XLR

    Default Folding Top

    Hi All From the New Guy!

    I've got a 2004 Crimson Pearl XLR, I bought it three years ago from the widow of the guy who ordered it new. Great ride!

    I've got a problem: The trunk opens but the hydraulic motor continues to run for about 15 seconds even though the trunk is open. Also, this same day the "Top not secured" message came on and the top won't activate and fold into the trunk.

    I read about the hydraulic fluid reservoir being low could be a problem. Can somebody tell me exactly where that reservoir is so that I can check it?

    Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

    Bob

  2. #2
    Folding Top rexster314's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Columbia, Texas
    Posts
    859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cadillac XLR

    2006 Base Infrared

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dobransky View Post
    Hi All From the New Guy!

    I've got a 2004 Crimson Pearl XLR, I bought it three years ago from the widow of the guy who ordered it new. Great ride!

    I've got a problem: The trunk opens but the hydraulic motor continues to run for about 15 seconds even though the trunk is open. Also, this same day the "Top not secured" message came on and the top won't activate and fold into the trunk.

    I read about the hydraulic fluid reservoir being low could be a problem. Can somebody tell me exactly where that reservoir is so that I can check it?

    Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

    Bob

    It could be several different things, with that message in the DIC, it's probably a sensor fritzed out. Before doing that, maybe a top relearn with a TECH II would fix it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cadillac XLR

    2004 XLR

    Default What's a top re-learn ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
    It could be several different things, with that message in the DIC, it's probably a sensor fritzed out. Before doing that, maybe a top relearn with a TECH II would fix it.
    Can you explain further? what's a TECH II?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Jackson, MI.
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default bluebeast

    Bob; To answer your original question. There is a "cubby hole" in the trunk just in front of the left rear tail light. Little latch to lift out and open. That is where your hydraulic cylinder and pump is located. If fluid is low you have a leak some where, and a major issue. If the fluid is not low, find a XLR tech trained to use proper diagnostic tools (TECH II) to track down possible electrical switch issue. This is not a very technical response, from the wife of husband who maintains the bluebeast. If you have further questions, ask and husband should reply. This will give you someplace to start looking without a tech. Good Luck!! Cathie



    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dobransky View Post
    Can you explain further? what's a TECH II?

  5. #5
    Folding Top rexster314's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Columbia, Texas
    Posts
    859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cadillac XLR

    2006 Base Infrared

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dobransky View Post
    Can you explain further? what's a TECH II?
    A TECH II is a diagnostic scan tool used specifically on GM vehicles. Originally the things were priced astronomically; only ones that could afford them were dealers/mechanics. Since the Chinese versions came out you can score one for around $250 or so. With an XLR shop manual and a TECH II, you can diagnose pretty much anything on your car.
    As a side note, my XLR was doing the same thing. My dealer is located about 45 miles away. When I arrived and the service manager looked at my car, the top worked as it's supposed to. We came to the conclusion that the 45 mile drive may have let the computer "reset" itself. You might give that a try. I went ahead and had them do a diagnostic on the car, and the tech did a relearn on it just to make sure.

  6. #6
    Site Administrator Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    5,021
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cadillac XLR

    Don't have one yet!

    Default

    Welcome to the XLR Net!
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Corvette Action Center
    The Meadery
    Torque Network
    VetteTube

    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

    Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information

    Spotlight:

  7. #7
    Folding Top 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Central PA (Littlestown)
    Posts
    2,278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cadillac XLR

    2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

    Default

    Welcome to forum of.... as you can see great XLR knowledge and very nice helpful people! Good Luck! Hope you get top problem fixed so you can enjoy some Topless Cruz'in Folding Top


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!


  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cadillac XLR

    2004 XLR

    Default More Problems

    I'm ordering the hyd fluid for the folding top reservior, based on recommendations. Went to the Cadillac dealer here in Reno and they said they could order me a case, I said I needed a pint. So, he gave me the numbers of some other dealers with 200 miles. No Auto Parts store I went to has it. So... today the trunk stopped opening, after a Costco run and with it filled with food, some of it frozen. Got the key out to unlock it manually and it would only open about halfway.

    Now I've an inop trunk and folding top.

    HELP!?

  9. #9
    Folding Top 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Central PA (Littlestown)
    Posts
    2,278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cadillac XLR

    2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

    Default Folding Top

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dobransky View Post
    I'm ordering the hyd fluid for the folding top reservior, based on recommendations. Went to the Cadillac dealer here in Reno and they said they could order me a case, I said I needed a pint. So, he gave me the numbers of some other dealers with 200 miles. No Auto Parts store I went to has it. So... today the trunk stopped opening, after a Costco run and with it filled with food, some of it frozen. Got the key out to unlock it manually and it would only open about halfway.

    Now I've an inop trunk and folding top.

    HELP!?
    You should be able to open the trunk by hand you will have to push it with force as it will not open on its own hydraulics, if you can you let open as it's not good to force the the hydraulic system more then you need to.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 05 GRAND DADDY; 09-11-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!


  10. #10
    Folding Top 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Central PA (Littlestown)
    Posts
    2,278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cadillac XLR

    2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dobransky View Post
    I'm ordering the hyd fluid for the folding top reservior, based on recommendations. Went to the Cadillac dealer here in Reno and they said they could order me a case, I said I needed a pint. So, he gave me the numbers of some other dealers with 200 miles. No Auto Parts store I went to has it. So... today the trunk stopped opening, after a Costco run and with it filled with food, some of it frozen. Got the key out to unlock it manually and it would only open about halfway.

    Now I've an inop trunk and folding top.

    HELP!?
    I did some research and found this info. It says that there is a replacement number that is the same hydraulic fluid that can be bought on the internet
    (FeBi 02615) It shows it is a compilable replacement for GM p/n 89022748 which is originally Univis HVI 26.
    Google P/N # FeBi 02615 and buy for $8 and up! Hope this helps
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Cadillac, XLR and XLR-V are registered trademark of the General Motors Corporation & Cadillac Motor Division.  Neither Cadillac Motor Division nor any subsidiaries of GM© shall bear any responsibility for XLR-Net.com content, comments, or advertising. XLR-Net.com is independent from GM© and is not affiliated with, sponsored or supported by GM©.  Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.  All Rights Reserved