Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

First Road Trip

nbw123

Seasoned Member
I bought a 2006 XLRV for the wife for her 50th a few weeks ago and I've been impressed. I have a 2011 CTSV with a lot of hp as my summer car and wanted her to have a V as well. We just took her V on a 400 mile trip and it drove fantastic. The power is decent but the handling and ride are top notch for a 10 year old car. I'm surprised at how quiet it is for a convertible. I took a pic of the Vs hanging out in the garage
083eefe6027f55f2f34066898457b69d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new ride. They look right at home together.

It's my first convertible if you don't count my first vehicle (Jeep CJ5) which beat the hell out of me

Quiet

Quiet. Yep. I'd wanted a convertible for years, but did NOT want a ragtop. Did not want to noise, leaks, rot, etc etc...
The decision came down to three cars in my price range: the Lexus SC, the Mercedes SL, and the XLR. Since I think the Lexus is UGLY, it was the XLR or the Merc. The XLR won me over simply because nothing else looks like it, you don't see them everywhere, and they seemed about even on cost of maintenance & repairs (neither one cheap :rolleyes:).
We've taken ours on several multi-hundred mile trips, and enjoyed all of them.

Preparing to take this one on a 5,000 mile round trip road excursion. Took it in to Cadillac yesterday for an overall examination to see if there's any forseeable issues that could prevent my travels. After 3 plus hours they gave the thumbs up, a-ok go ahead sign.
Going to Seattle to spend Father's Day with my children. Yep yep

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yep, Very Comfortable : )

I bought a 2006 XLRV for the wife for her 50th a few weeks ago and I've been impressed. I have a 2011 CTSV with a lot of hp as my summer car and wanted her to have a V as well. We just took her V on a 400 mile trip and it drove fantastic. The power is decent but the handling and ride are top notch for a 10 year old car. I'm surprised at how quiet it is for a convertible. I took a pic of the Vs hanging out in the garage
083eefe6027f55f2f34066898457b69d.jpg

Don't mean to ne nosy, but what are the support struts all about on the front of your CTSV? :confused: My guess is that they are functional for some reason, but not stock. Thanks. :cool:

I have a large carbon fiber splitter on the front to hold the nose down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great Picture! Rad. Love it : ) Thanks!

Here's a better shot
cb96c56ef1de939f92ce584b517deb08.jpg

Got it! What a great looking car. Just looks mean. As in "I'm ready for anything, anytime!" Thanks.

Got it! What a great looking car. Just looks mean. As in "I'm ready for anything, anytime!" Thanks.

It's my daily driver in the summer (Michigan) and is 726 whp 900 at the crank. I just added nitrous and plan to hit 1k at the wheel before I'm done. It's a blast to drive

Just bought a 2006 V on Friday, Aug 23 and my first trip was driving that car home to Los Angeles, 1600mi. Fell in love! Seating position was extremely comfortable for me and abundant power made passing maneuvers so easy. My only negatives were agas filler door that refused to close, a really stiff ride (maybe Yokohama tires are at fault) and an overly sensitive steering system that in center position requires a lot of little corrections to go straight (front end alignment or tires?). Once I learned to relax my death grip on the wheel and to make smaller, slower corrections, the steering got miraculously better. It was me, not the V. I am happy to join this group and will enjoy using your suggestion to perfect my new baby.

Congrats on Your 06' XLRV : )

Nice looking pair of performance Cads together. ;) Thanks for posting the pictures. In the past several years, we have formed a "Cadillac Ownership Pattern". Now you own 'Two Beasts!'. Both, Head Turners.

FYI, I am still working on The 79' Eldorado Convertible. Before I begin the previously discussed engine performance mods, trying to get 'all' annoying problems sorted first. AC doesn't work. Compressor does, but think The ATC Programmer is kaput? Cruise doesn't work. Twilight Sentinel doesn't work, etc. Front end must be gone through. The car is almost 'impossible' to find OEM Parts.

The good news? It is a San Remo Eldorado. Converted by Coach Design of Westlake Village CA back in the day. Reportedly one of 25 they did, and one of approximately 7 know to still be in existence. So pretty rare car. :cool:

Enjoy your V ! :thumbsup

Hey Doug,

Hi! FYI, I sent you a P.M. a day or so ago.

Best,
Charlie

Studebiker6

Welcome aboard, what color and how many miles?

Last edited:
Color and mileage

Studebiker6

Welcome aboard, what color and how many miles?

The color is an absolutely gorgeous burgundy. When I exited the airport at Williamson ND, I think I may have gasped when I saw the car in the parking lot-- much better than the eBay photos. The V had about 57k and now has 57k plus the 1,600mi added on the trip home. I could not afford to buy a V in SoCal as a decent one is in the $30's, but I found one in ND for $24,000 and stretching my budget I decided to take a chance and buy it. I got lucky and got a really nice one.

Hey Doug,

Hi! FYI, I sent you a P.M. a day or so ago.

Best,
Charlie
Yep. Answered you twice in PMs. Did you get those?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom