Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New member 2006 Infrared XLR

tires

Great XLR buch here. Welcome! I would imagine with that low miles they would be original tires and as well the cracking/checking you reference.

I would imagine you are correct about the tires. I have been reading about the zero pressure tires a lot recently and see where most aren't satisfied with the ride. So I am not sure which way to go just yet.

I see you are in Colorado? I lived there most of my younger years. Sorry I just don't miss the weather.

Infrared Color is Nice ! : )

I would imagine you are correct about the tires. I have been reading about the zero pressure tires a lot recently and see where most aren't satisfied with the ride. So I am not sure which way to go just yet.

I see you are in Colorado? I lived there most of my younger years. Sorry I just don't miss the weather.

Hi Dennis, Yes I am in Monument Colorado just North of Colorado Springs right on the very peaky top of The Palmer Ridge at 7,600 feet above sea level here on The Front Range.

Regarding the tires, I have not yet put new ones on mine. Was going to do it last fall but as I knew I was parking it for the winter, didn't bother at that time. Right now it has around 31,000 miles on it. When I bought it in San Diego it had like 29,900 on it with original tires. Also weather checked dried out from just sitting like yours, and not being used. Plus the original tires aren't the greatest to begin with like most factory tires.

Last fall I did take it in to Discount Tire here (Tires America in California I think?). They told me (a) go with the speed rated Michelins for best ride and handling, and (b) don't use the 'run flats'. Consensus from what I have read of other's threads here seem to confirm this selection. So, that is what I am going to do. Their second recommendation were I believe Kuomo's (?). Think that was the tire? Never heard of them before myself though. They were less money than the Michelins, but only about $10.00 to $12.00 per tire less.

It's on jackstands awaiting commencement of mechanical repairs and routine maintenance that is necessary. Plus a re-spray of the front bumper and rocker panels that are gouged up by the prior owner(s). Once done, then off to Discount Tire.

I do often miss the Weather in SoCal. We used to lived near Thousand Oaks just on The Ventura County side and north of The Valley at that time. I owned a really beautiful 57' Chev BelAir convertible, black with the red and black interior. Was a year end 57' experimental by G.M. with a factory 348 Tri Power, stick column shift, overdrive and dual exhaust + posi rear end. President of Coal Mine in Kentucky saw it at a car show in Santa Monica and hounded me until I caved and sold it to him. G.M. only did 5 of them year end with the 348 I am told. There were apparently two convertibles and three two door hardtops. All were G.M. Exec driven cars. When repairing a window winder one day I found the build sheet (COPO) inside the door panel. It was assigned to Artumus Duntov (sp?) G.M. Engineer who invented the dual pattern camshaft I am told. --- Anyhow, I was young and stupid and caved and sold it. Now I'm older and stupid. :)

Have fun with your beautiful XLR.

Charles

CNC, I remember

Ah yes, I remember where Monument is. My 2 sons live in Parker, both are civil engineers and work at Denver Tech Center. Imagine that about the 57 Chevy. I had one also but it was nothing special. It was a 2 door post, had the inserts on rear fenders with BelAir. BelAir emblems on the dash. Mine also had 4 different engines over a span of 5 years when I got it at the age of 15. The last was a 427 L88 2nd Design as was stamped on the crate the short block came in. It was down right wicked and at times just too much power for the chassis it sat in. I had a pretty heavy foot at that time in my younger days. You should remember how the speedometer was in that 57, I had some highway gears in mine for awhile with the L88 and was driving it 90 miles everyday for about 6 months. Just for the hell of it, I let her rip and took it up to where the needle went all the way past 120 and reached the 0 before I backed out of it. It was an engine built for RPM, but I doubt it would last running it for long or very often like that. In fact it really didn't have much for power until it got up just before 4,000 rpm and then look out.

My XLR, now we are talking about something out of this world. Only problem with them is you have to be extremely careful with the dips in gutters etc., but I am very careful with mine. And if I have to, I'll park with the bumper a foot from a parking space curb.

Ah yes, I remember where Monument is. My 2 sons live in Parker, both are civil engineers and work at Denver Tech Center. Imagine that about the 57 Chevy. I had one also but it was nothing special. It was a 2 door post, had the inserts on rear fenders with BelAir. BelAir emblems on the dash. Mine also had 4 different engines over a span of 5 years when I got it at the age of 15. The last was a 427 L88 2nd Design as was stamped on the crate the short block came in. It was down right wicked and at times just too much power for the chassis it sat in. I had a pretty heavy foot at that time in my younger days. You should remember how the speedometer was in that 57, I had some highway gears in mine for awhile with the L88 and was driving it 90 miles everyday for about 6 months. Just for the hell of it, I let her rip and took it up to where the needle went all the way past 120 and reached the 0 before I backed out of it. It was an engine built for RPM, but I doubt it would last running it for long or very often like that. In fact it really didn't have much for power until it got up just before 4,000 rpm and then look out.

My XLR, now we are talking about something out of this world. Only problem with them is you have to be extremely careful with the dips in gutters etc., but I am very careful with mine. And if I have to, I'll park with the bumper a foot from a parking space curb.

Sounds like most of us when we was youngster and spry that the foot is heavy and thinks it's smarter then our brains where at the time! Not that I still don't drive my XLR like a sport cars should be driven, I just use a lot more sense, and drive where and when it is safe. So drive safe and treat your XLR like is your baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

YES!

It happens unfortunately about once a quarter. And as usual, I ask for timeslips. And as usual, there are none. Although, I know a silver one will be gunning for me this year. (I got my eye on you and got a little something for ya come October.)

OBTW, Elwood is black.

YES! GO BLACK!!:reddevil:reddevil:cool::cool:

57 Chev Picture Below

57' BelAir. Double Click on pic to enlarge. Your 210 Post w. an L88 427. Wow. 348 Tri Power Factory Experimental COPO.jpg

Last edited:
This is true.
I made the mistake of cutting through a car place that medals with buy, sell, trade. This guy I heard has places all over in the Florida/ga area. He told me he would take the xlr off my hands for 24-25k give or take a couple cents. I said I'm enjoying it to much and have been looking to get back to my convertible days. Plus I have adaptions on my ride. So I am not selling what so ever. I was going to say I'll sell for $120. But knowing me he would say ok.
But back to the story at hand. Just watch out for curbs, driveways with gutters and parking curbs. I sometimes back in the space. But since I have a disabled parking permit, I use those spaces regularly. Because then you don't have to worry about dings on your car. :happy:

The Dealer In San Diego tried to buy mine. Interesting.

This is true.
I made the mistake of cutting through a car place that medals with buy, sell, trade. This guy I heard has places all over in the Florida/ga area. He told me he would take the xlr off my hands for 24-25k give or take a couple cents. I said I'm enjoying it to much and have been looking to get back to my convertible days. Plus I have adaptions on my ride. So I am not selling what so ever. I was going to say I'll sell for $120. But knowing me he would say ok.
But back to the story at hand. Just watch out for curbs, driveways with gutters and parking curbs. I sometimes back in the space. But since I have a disabled parking permit, I use those spaces regularly. Because then you don't have to worry about dings on your car. :happy:

Hey Hawkeye,

Interesting. When I bought mine in San Diego before I drove it back to Colorado, the Manager at the Cadillac Dealership where I had taken it for service approached me and told me he'd buy it from "right now". Offered me +$3K more than I had just paid for it about 30 minutes earlier. Crazy. :)

Also, thanks for the weather stripping info with shims you posted in response to Zeeks inquiry. I wasn't aware of the needed shims, but am now. I printed the information you posted 'just in case'. Mine hasn't leaked that I am aware. But then I haven't yet had it in any rain. There was no evidence of any water staining in the trunk, but then again it was a one owner car owned by a doctor in San Diego and was probably always garaged there as well.

Is it your opinion that maybe I should just be 'proactive' and do the shims, extra shim seals + the new weather stripping to be safe? Then there is, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." --- But then again, I don't know if it's going to be an issue going forward? Hmmmm. --- Guess I will just wash it to find out.

Regards,

Charles

Last edited:
Well with me going back and forth with this problem several times. The 3rd time I went to this site and sure enough cclarke( who is a real know it all about these cars) posted the diagrams. I was about ready to go to another dealership that knows more about our cars here in my area. But after I emailed those to my service manager. He kept a copy. But it's totally up to you if you want to give her that extra protection. But I agree if it's not broken don't fix it. Because if they go ahead with this. It's at a cost to you. They might break the perfectly god seals and then where are you? You could be a week with out your ride. Especially now that it's great topdown weather. I was without my ride for 5 days while they tried to figure this ness out. They eventually had to redo and reinforce the other weatherstripping. And put some sealer in the area. So it's all up to you if you want to do this. But I would wait because now you have these diagrams to help

My dealer said don't use a pressure washer in that area. If you do then don't go too close and to hard for so long of time. Stand back so many feet and let the spray work it's magic.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back