Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

2004 XLR cruise control radar unit taken apart

BeardBros

Seasoned Member
So my cruise control radar unit is not working, so I decided to take it apart since it is junk anyway. The unit is sealed and is not supposed to be serviced so I had to break it open with a hammer and chisel. I found one component that was broke inside on the board, but it could have broke from me hammering on the unit. There were no melted solder joints or hot melted components that would be a direct connection to the unit not working. So I tried to start the XLR without the unit plugged in and it will not start and gave me ABS, suspension and a host of other service conditions. Without this unit the car is not going anywhere. So once I found this out I reassembled the unit, sealed it up, plugged it back in and my car was functional again, albeit without cruise control as usual.

Here are some pics of the radar unit apart.

We need some electrical genius who can figure out how to hotwire this thing and fool it into thinking the road is wide open in front of it.

View attachment 7288
View attachment 7287
View attachment 7286
View attachment 7285

Wow

Wow, wonderful pictures of the radar unit. I never have seen the inside of that module before.

I would start with replacing that 100 micro farad capacitor.

I buy those

I have been looking for one to repair. It not that big a deal. But you have to break the seal carefully haha, not with a hammer. I have a good one that works fine 900$ 04 05 . All my cars are 06 and later so I cannot try it on them. I have repaired my 07 but the parts and time are not worth it when you can get them new for 450

I have seen a lot of cars running without one plugged in so I wonder why your car would not start? That's a new one. It only works on the cruise system when on and is not monitored by any system to prevent start up as far as the schematics I have show. My 07 ran while I was working on a spare

If you get one , I will buy that one for parts

Well I did use a hammer and a sharp chisel, but I did so gently. The bonding agent they use is a very sturdy epoxy. I sent you a PM.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom