Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help exit vehicle lights stay on

Fireballkidd

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR
Hi all. I hope someone can help me with problem that has just developed with my 2006 xlr. When I shut off car the reading lights slowly dim till off like they should but the problem is the instrument panel and tail lights stay on. I am at a loss as to what to look for. You all know a trip to dealership to diagnose the problem can be expensive so any ideas will help.

This could be a BCM-related issue that should throw codes, but it's difficult to diagnose remotely without test equipment. A dealer can quickly scan the car and tell you what's causing the problem. Unless it's a loose ground somewhere, it shouldn't be overly expensive to diagnose.

If it is the BCM, they're easy to replace, available, and cheap.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
On the dash in the DIC control panel there is a light symbol between the options button and the information button. It can be easily pushed by mistake trying to make changes especially at night. Check it before you go through the dealer process. If that's the case problem solved. No expense. If it's not refer to CC's advice. Worked for me.

--Under most conditions where an owner has a question regarding why their cabin lights won't extinguish when they should, your answer would be right on, but this case is a little different.

Here's why:

The dash light switch enables the overhead map/reading lights when the doors are closed and overrides the auto-dimming (theater) feature. His overhead lights are dimming, as they should.

His tail lights staying on in sync with the dash --after the interior lights dim points to a relay or BCM-related fault. A scan is the quickest way to isolate where the fault lies.

Knowing how systems should work normally is one of the keys to troubleshooting them when they don't. The OP described really useful symptoms that make it easier to pinpoint where the problem might be lurking.

CC

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry