Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Program Key Fob

XLR_7254

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Hello all - so I know there is threads on here about how to program the key fob to our vehicles. I was wondering if anyone was successful in programming a 2008/2009 key fob to a 2004-2007 model? I came across a slim 2008 key fob and made the purchase. It is XLR specific and even has a picture of the vehicle on it for the trunk release. I even had the key cut to work in my rear number for the emergency settings.

Ive never programmed the key for the vechile before and I've only had key fob 1 since I purchased the vehicle. Stupid me - I left the original fob in the house and cycled the cylinder 5 times and the vechile went into complete reset mode - long story short I was able to get the system to ask for fob 1 then fob 2. I used my original as 1 and the slim fob as 2. Everything SEEMED to be all good.

Fob 1 is working perfectly fine. Fob 2 doesn't seem to be doing anything. I even replaced the battery in fob 2 before I started the process to make sure that I wouldn't run into any problems.

So so now in stuck and hoping that someone can help me out:
Should I try to program it again with fob 1 in the vechile?
Does the key have to be inserted into the slim fob when programming or can it be removed?
Does the fob have to face any particular way?
Is it easier to do if I can find someone with a tech2?

Im located on Detroit. If someone is near and can help, I don't mind making a drive within a 3 hours radius.

Thank you in advance!!

Hello all - so I know there is threads on here about how to program the key fob to our vehicles. I was wondering if anyone was successful in programming a 2008/2009 key fob to a 2004-2007 model? I came across a slim 2008 key fob and made the purchase. It is XLR specific and even has a picture of the vehicle on it for the trunk release. I even had the key cut to work in my rear number for the emergency settings.

Ive never programmed the key for the vechile before and I've only had key fob 1 since I purchased the vehicle. Stupid me - I left the original fob in the house and cycled the cylinder 5 times and the vechile went into complete reset mode - long story short I was able to get the system to ask for fob 1 then fob 2. I used my original as 1 and the slim fob as 2. Everything SEEMED to be all good.

Fob 1 is working perfectly fine. Fob 2 doesn't seem to be doing anything. I even replaced the battery in fob 2 before I started the process to make sure that I wouldn't run into any problems.

So so now in stuck and hoping that someone can help me out:
Should I try to program it again with fob 1 in the vechile?
Does the key have to be inserted into the slim fob when programming or can it be removed?
Does the fob have to face any particular way?
Is it easier to do if I can find someone with a tech2?

Im located on Detroit. If someone is near and can help, I don't mind making a drive within a 3 hours radius.

Thank you in advance!!

Having an 06 XLR, I thought of buying an 08-09 FOB myself. When I spoke with the Cadillac dealership parts department, they mentioned it wouldn't work but that's only 1 source for advice. Good Luck.

The dealer was wrong, we have that style fob working for both our '06 & '07, others on here have done the same. My husband programmed them using a Tech 2. For his car the slim fob is #1, I think for mine it's either #2 or 3 because I usually use the original fob. The slim one is nice to have because we had the blank key inside cut to fit the rear bumper inside the fob, ready available.

I don't know the details of the programming beyond use of the Tech 2. I think others on here have done it without a Tech 2 & posted instructions (maybe).

The dealer was wrong, we have that style fob working for both our '06 & '07, others on here have done the same. My husband programmed them using a Tech 2. For his car the slim fob is #1, I think for mine it's either #2 or 3 because I usually use the original fob. The slim one is nice to have because we had the blank key inside cut to fit the rear bumper inside the fob, ready available.

I don't know the details of the programming beyond use of the Tech 2. I think others on here have done it without a Tech 2 & posted instructions (maybe).

I knew someone would come up with the correct answer. Stealerships do not know everything. :)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom