Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Seat heater/cooler information

Both of my seats heat well, but cooling only lasts for a short while and then becomes less and less. I think the cooling module is freezing up and blocking the airflow and just decided this was normal.

Noisy fan

My seats were not cooling so dealer installed both new blower units and now they work but I hear a loud fan noise. Is this normal?

My seats were not cooling so dealer installed both new blower units and now they work but I hear a loud fan noise. Is this normal?

I hear the same noise, but it goes away after awhile. :cool:

Is it possible now to install new blower units ourselves as I am presuming they are similar to a PC Cooling Fan? as my seats don't cool enough and I figured I would install new fans with a stronger RPM.

SrChief,

Have you contacted the dealership to see if the loud fan noise is normal? Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

Neither of my seats were working that well. The dealer replaced both blower units. I am still not impressed with the amount of cooling that occurs. I recall sitting in a Lincoln Mercury unit and you could really feel the air flow come up through the seat when you activated the units. Is part of the problem the small holes in the leather or is it simply the foam breaking down over time which does not let as much, if any, air flow? :dunno:

I think the biggest issue is airflow. The seat cushions have plenty of air channels and basically cool/heat strips along the cushions. The convoluted path that the air has to take --especially on the seat back center cushion and the accordian joint where the seat folds doesn't help. The squirrel cage fan just doesn't seem to put out enough air to move the air where it needs to go.

Does anyone have seats that they consider heat/cool uniformly and adequately? My seat bottom cools minimally, but the center cushion is really grim.

CC :wave:

My new fans either got a little less noisy or I got used to them. I did not take it back to the dealership as I would have only gotten a shrug and they are new . They seem to cool but when you are sitting in them a while the airflow is stopped where you are sitting and you can tell. Touch the other areas of the seat and it feels cool. Sure not as good as the cooled seats in my Buick Enclave!

SrChief,

Have you contacted the dealership to see if the loud fan noise is normal? Please keep us posted.

Thank you,

If you are really part of Cadillac Customer Service I should think you would be jumping in to help solve some of the problems the owners are having with their XLR's rather than telling them to be sure and let you know when the problem is resolved by their dealer. This comment is coming from a gentleman that has been driving Cadillac since he was 25 years old, now 77 years old and just took delivery on his number 14 Cadillac, 2011 DTS Platinum Edition. Any time I have had to go to Cadillac Customer Service the rep has jumped in with both feet to solve the problem. Cadillac Division of General Motors built the car, they are the one that stand behind warranty issues, the dealer is just the person that preforms the work and has to go to Cadillac for answers. Thanks, just my 2 cents worth.

I think the biggest issue is airflow. The seat cushions have plenty of air channels and basically cool/heat strips along the cushions. The convoluted path that the air has to take --especially on the seat back center cushion and the accordian joint where the seat folds doesn't help. The squirrel cage fan just doesn't seem to put out enough air to move the air where it needs to go.

Does anyone have seats that they consider heat/cool uniformly and adequately? My seat bottom cools minimally, but the center cushion is really grim.

CC :wave:

My seats do such a fantastic job of cooling that I feel as if I am sitting on a block of ice. On long trips in the summer they are a total plus for creature comfort. I have 24,000 on mine so nothing is showing any signs of wear and tear yet.

I have had my seats worked on twice for lack of cooling. The first time the dealer replaced the accordian like plastic ducts going to the seat backs as they were coming apart at the seams and had become disconnected. The second time the passanger's seat was not working at all and they replaced the blower motor under the seat. Now they both work about the same, but as I mentioned earlier the cooling function does not last long before it's performance falls off significantly. From what I am hearing it is probably working about as good as most.

On our STS the seats have blowers that just pull cabin air through them and they seem to work much better and the performance does not fall off after 10 minutes of operation. Obviously though if the cabin air is hot from the car being closed up in the summer heat the seats do not cool very well until the A/C has had time to cool it down.

I decided to do a quick temperature scan with my infared thermometer on the driver's and passenger's seat temps with the seat temp control setting on high cool. With the top down and after driving for about 30 minutes and an outside ambient of 87 degrees I measured about 88 - 90 degrees all over the seat. I put the top up and turned on the A/C and gave it five minutes to cool down and then I was finding small spots as cool as 71 degrees, but most of the seat was at about 78 to 80 degrees. I could find a few spots that were cooler to 71 - 72 degrees, but these were only on the bottom cushion. The seat back would only get to 78. Obviously the fan is picking up the cooler air from the A/C and attempting to cool it down more, but when the top is down it has a much bigger job to do. Also the humidity was at 69% with the dew point at 75 degrees anything colder than that and it would start producing condensate which could freeze if the cooling device operates below freezing. Wonder where the condensate goes? With the top up and the A/C on the dew point would drop allowing the system to work much more efficiently.

Thank you for your input however I am unable to give technical information or diagnose a vehicle over the internet. Therefore, if the customer speaks with the dealership the dealer will be able to diagnose the concerns if there are any. I chime in to try and the let the customer know I am here and if they are having any difficulties getting their concerns addressed.

Thank you,

If you are really part of Cadillac Customer Service I should think you would be jumping in to help solve some of the problems the owners are having with their XLR's rather than telling them to be sure and let you know when the problem is resolved by their dealer. This comment is coming from a gentleman that has been driving Cadillac since he was 25 years old, now 77 years old and just took delivery on his number 14 Cadillac, 2011 DTS Platinum Edition. Any time I have had to go to Cadillac Customer Service the rep has jumped in with both feet to solve the problem. Cadillac Division of General Motors built the car, they are the one that stand behind warranty issues, the dealer is just the person that preforms the work and has to go to Cadillac for answers. Thanks, just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you for your input however I am unable to give technical information or diagnose a vehicle over the internet. Therefore, if the customer speaks with the dealership the dealer will be able to diagnose the concerns if there are any. I chime in to try and the let the customer know I am here and if they are having any difficulties getting their concerns addressed.

Thank you,

I understand what you are saying but you must not understand what I said or maybe I didn't make myself clear. I maybe should have stated if you are in Cadillac Customer Service you can get the question or problem to the correct person at Cadillac that can become involved with the dealer on behalf of the owner of the XLR and get the problem solved. I am glad you are on the forum so you can see the problems posted and know what some of the owners are putting up with at the dealers. Thanks, Robert

I appreciate any input. I think we all are just looking for some guidance on what actually can be done. I am not blaming anyone but the designer of the unit.
That being said: If the dealer replaced the blowers in both seats and I observed no noticeable improvement...what else can be done or requested.
I joined this site because everyone was friendly and helpful. Let's keep things moving in that direction. ;)

Bruce, can you tell me what the sealed item under the seats is in the photos I took? Is it the thermoelectric module? If not, where is the TE located? I noticed that the sealed whatever rubs along the carpet as the seat moves forward. Thanks.

I have 2007 and the driver seat cools fine but nothing on the passenger side. Does anyone know if this is a warranty item? I also have an EXT Truck and the cooling seat system is killer.

It would be warranty as long as your XLR is still under the 4yr 50000 mile warranty or you have CPO warranty. Take it down to Peacock on I 45, I have had good luck with their service dept.

I have 2007 and the driver seat cools fine but nothing on the passenger side. Does anyone know if this is a warranty item? I also have an EXT Truck and the cooling seat system is killer.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom