Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Stuck trunk/top discovery

B

BoughtTheXLR

So yesterday after washing my 2008, I need to put the top down to finish the tonneau panel. I'm in the garage, but there's adequate clearance between an open trunk and the open garage door. So, I start it up & hold down the down button. The panel behind the seats opens, the trunk opens all the way, and then nothing else happens except for the typical whine of the pump. Numerous tries of up and down each produce a slight wiggle of the trunk but no movement in either direction. Looking at it, the trunk is FIRMLY in the raised position. I can't move it, short of applying enough force to fear bending something.

My dealer's service department is still open, and I'm close enough to drive there with the trunk open, but there's a problem doing that. While the opened trunk is well clear of the opened garage door *inside* the garage, there's not enough clearance to back out. Fooey (or words to that effect). The dealer's XLR tech isn't available, even if they were willing to send him out. So, we put it all on hold until Tuesday morning.

After a bit more looking, I'm convinced that the hydraulic system is what's holding the trunk in place. I seem to recall that doing something with the hydraulic system is part of the emergency top procedures. But, before pulling out the owner's manual, the car helps me out. At what must have been the 15-20 minute timeout that shuts down everything but the door lock receiver, there's a rather loud click (almost a thunk) and the lid descends back shut.

So, if you ever have something stuck like this and don't want to (or remember how to) relieve the hydraulic pressure, try waiting patiently 20 minutes after closing the doors, or disconnect the battery.

At the moment I've still got a raised panel, a top-not-secure message on the dic, and a top solidly latched to the windshield so I'm not concerned about driving it to the dealer Tuesday. I'm not going to make any further attempts to lower the top or even open the trunk until they've got it hooked up to diagnostics. This will be my first service call with my Costco/Century service contract, so we'll see how that goes.

So yesterday after washing my 2008, I need to put the top down to finish the tonneau panel. I'm in the garage, but there's adequate clearance between an open trunk and the open garage door. So, I start it up & hold down the down button. The panel behind the seats opens, the trunk opens all the way, and then nothing else happens except for the typical whine of the pump. Numerous tries of up and down each produce a slight wiggle of the trunk but no movement in either direction. Looking at it, the trunk is FIRMLY in the raised position. I can't move it, short of applying enough force to fear bending something.

My dealer's service department is still open, and I'm close enough to drive there with the trunk open, but there's a problem doing that. While the opened trunk is well clear of the opened garage door *inside* the garage, there's not enough clearance to back out. Fooey (or words to that effect). The dealer's XLR tech isn't available, even if they were willing to send him out. So, we put it all on hold until Tuesday morning.

After a bit more looking, I'm convinced that the hydraulic system is what's holding the trunk in place. I seem to recall that doing something with the hydraulic system is part of the emergency top procedures. But, before pulling out the owner's manual, the car helps me out. At what must have been the 15-20 minute timeout that shuts down everything but the door lock receiver, there's a rather loud click (almost a thunk) and the lid descends back shut.

So, if you ever have something stuck like this and don't want to (or remember how to) relieve the hydraulic pressure, try waiting patiently 20 minutes after closing the doors, or disconnect the battery.

At the moment I've still got a raised panel, a top-not-secure message on the dic, and a top solidly latched to the windshield so I'm not concerned about driving it to the dealer Tuesday. I'm not going to make any further attempts to lower the top or even open the trunk until they've got it hooked up to diagnostics. This will be my first service call with my Costco/Century service contract, so we'll see how that goes.
Good luck and let us know how that service contract works out .

Well, took it in to my dealer, who found no codes, no unapplied firmware updates, and no issues at all cycling the top more than a dozen times. Sensors are all within spec. Based on what I told them had happened, they think it is most likely an issue in the hydraulics. But with it being a one-time failure, they don't want to start replacing parts until there's more of a clue as to what's happening, or at least a second incident.

They weren't bothered by my handing them my Costco/Century service contract but in the end my service advisor decided that since they hadn't really fixed anything they wouldn't charge me anything.

Well, took it in to my dealer, who found no codes, no unapplied firmware updates, and no issues at all cycling the top more than a dozen times. Sensors are all within spec. Based on what I told them had happened, they think it is most likely an issue in the hydraulics. But with it being a one-time failure, they don't want to start replacing parts until there's more of a clue as to what's happening, or at least a second incident.

They weren't bothered by my handing them my Costco/Century service contract but in the end my service advisor decided that since they hadn't really fixed anything they wouldn't charge me anything.

Been down this road. Hope your luck is better than mine was.

This may sound silly, but yesterday I was unloading the trunk and unbeknownst to me I accidentally left my key fob inside the trunk in a fanny pack. I keep pressing the trunk button wondering why it wouldn't close. Anyway, I took a shower, got dressed, and was searching for my key fob. I thought I'd left it inside the car (which I understand the system will alert you) so I looked-nothing. I then was worried that if I shut the door it might be inside.:confused:

Anyway, if dawned on me. The reason why the trunk didn't close or why the door didn't lock was because I left the key fob inside the trunk.:rolleyes: I haven't tested this theory since I currently have only one key fob (awaiting for GM appointment for master key).

This may sound silly, but yesterday I was unloading the trunk and unbeknownst to me I accidentally left my key fob inside the trunk in a fanny pack. I keep pressing the trunk button wondering why it wouldn't close. Anyway, I took a shower, got dressed, and was searching for my key fob. I thought I'd left it inside the car (which I understand the system will alert you) so I looked-nothing. I then was worried that if I shut the door it might be inside.:confused:

Anyway, if dawned on me. The reason why the trunk didn't close or why the door didn't lock was because I left the key fob inside the trunk.:rolleyes: I haven't tested this theory since I currently have only one key fob (awaiting for GM appointment for master key).

They must have fixed that by your year - when I left my keys in the trunk, it shut with them in it & wouldn't open!:smash: Had to call hubby to bring his fob so I could get in.

They must have fixed that by your year - when I left my keys in the trunk, it shut with them in it & wouldn't open!:smash: Had to call hubby to bring his fob so I could get in.

I'm not sure, but if so-I'm glad, because I don't have another key fob nor a master key so I would be screwed. I do know the trunk wouldn't close as I kept pressing the trunk button. Since the XLR was parked along side the house with the gate locked I left the trunk lid opened and came back later. The crazy thing I did experience last week was the master key. We thought (technician master Smith & I) tried to test the system using the key that came with the car and it didn't work.

Don't ask me how that happened, but it did. He tried the glove box too and the key didn't fit. My guess is that the dealership accidently switched one of the key fobs and and master key.:dunno: However, if it wasn't for this forum I'd be lost, because one of these days I will need it. I have to wait until I get my registration in the mail and then make appointment for GM. There's a $85 charge for making and programming the system, but not on my dime.;)

I guess if your key doesn't work - at least your XLR was nice enough not to let you lock yourself out! It's a sickening feeling to see that trunk dropping down and realize, "oh no, I left the fob in there!" And then have it stay shut when you try to undo your mistake ....

I just tried it in my 2008. The trunk would shut with the fob in the trunk.

I just tried it in my 2008. The trunk would shut with the fob in the trunk.

Hmm. I guess my mishap was a fluke or something.:confused: Let us just say I'll be careful next time.

Clearly Phrede & I have :reddevil:reddevil:reddevil

But the dark side is more fun - as long as that fob isn't in the trunk!

I have gizmo... and he's never left me stranded in over 20 years.
Gizmo_Mogwai.jpg

What were the three Mogwai rules again??:confused:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry