Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

D3 Grill, PVD coating?

Steve O'

I called D3 because I didn't see their grill for sale on their site anymore. No call back, So have to assume they don't make it anymore. Does anyone have this grill? The second photo is just of a PVD coating for example.
IMG_5534.JPG
IMG_5571.jpgIt seenms to be the V OEM with the backing taken off as it looks like you can see through it along with the inner framing. Then I think they had it coated with PVD which isn't that expensive. I'm thinking of taking mine off and changing them like this.

Anyone have pictures of the V Grill from the back side or have other insights as to how they did this.

Steve

D3 has probably lost more business due to their inept customer relations than any aftermarket company serving the Cadillac community. Your experience is not isolated. I've seen them offer products (XLR carbon fiber interior trim pieces) that don't exist and of course, never received a reply to a query either. Enquire about a major high-dollar performance upgrade, and they might respond.

As for grill coatings, you're correct. Some owners paint their mesh with Plati Dip which can be easily peeled off. Some powdercoat, while others have them anodized. It all depends on budget.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
So I talked to D3. Very nice. They said the grill was powder coated and it was the 1 inch mesh grill which came only came on the 08 and 09 models. Ours are half inch, hence you can't see through them. Said I'd have to get a new front clip because the fog lights and grill size were changed. Guess that's not going to happen. They don't sell the spoiler anymore either

Anyone have a D3 spoiler laying around? Doubtful, I know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I talked to D3. Very nice. They said the grill was powder coated and it was the 1 inch mesh grill which came only came on the 08 and 09 models. Ours are half inch, hence you can't see through them. Said I'd have to get a new front clip because the fog lights and grill size were changed. Guess that's not going to happen. They don't sell the spoiler anymore either

Anyone have a D3 spoiler laying around? Doubtful, I know...

I'm going to blackout my grill and will post a pic when it's done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to blackout my grill and will post a pic when it's done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you take some pictures of the removal process? I wonder how difficult it is to get out.

D3 has probably lost more business due to their inept customer relations than any aftermarket company serving the Cadillac community. Your experience is not isolated. I've seen them offer products (XLR carbon fiber interior trim pieces) that don't exist and of course, never received a reply to a query either. Enquire about a major high-dollar performance upgrade, and they might respond.

As for grill coatings, you're correct. Some owners paint their mesh with Plati Dip which can be easily peeled off. Some powdercoat, while others have them anodized. It all depends on budget.

CC :wave:

Truck Bed liner that comes in a rattle can from you favourite car parts store is tough as nails, stickes to everything and has a nice satin black finish to it. That is what we used on our 2017 Grand Cherokee's grill as we didnt like all that plastic chrome and it looks great.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom