Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

New to XLR Forum

CY1957-XLR

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Light Platinum XLR 484
Hello, I have been liking and searching for an XLR for about 5 years. Saw one at a show back then and remembered how cool they looked! Just found one in June while on a work trip to Fla, bought it and had it shipped to PA. Wife said I would not be happy until I got one! Drove it some so far, like it a lot. 52K miles, Platinum/Shale, I am 4th owner. So far, all works, so hoping little bit I will drive it, things will stay that way! Started looking at other wheels and found that the 2008 Platinum wheels are impossible to find and no repros that are close. Same for V-wheels. Any ideas on other wheels would be welcome, Base wheels are so plain and non-chromed not bright enough.

Looking forward to communicating with others about the XLR's and possible issues due to lack of parts GM does not make!
I am in Mfg for 35+ years, and thinking of a ways to make "reproduction headlights" that would be LED and more cost-effective than getting used ones. Tough call, due to finding one to use to replicate would cost a small fortune, as well as investment into making them.
FYI, I also have a '57 Chevy, so username is not when I was born!
Thanks

Attachments

• CY 2005 XLR-1.jpg
    CY 2005 XLR-1.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 60
Robert 2009, thanks.
Yes, has been very helpful so far, and just joined a week ago!
Saw an old post about XLR service manuals to download, but link did not work.
Anyone know if there is a new link?
Thanks

Robert 2009, thanks.
Yes, has been very helpful so far, and just joined a week ago!
Saw an old post about XLR service manuals to download, but link did not work.
Anyone know if there is a new link?
Thanks
There's a bunch of places you can download the manuals but they are next to impossible to find anything in TBE format they ship them in. They sell on eBay for 9-19$ and contain most of the useless info. To get a set of real books will run you 3-400$

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Was experimenting with MS Paint tonight. Still thinking of doing something to make grill different and "separate it" from the Silver of car color. Came up with this, wanted to get opinions from members.
Definity losing the front license plate holder looks MUCH better and can do this in PA thankfully!
Could not find any pics online or in forum of anyone doing a black grille on a silver XLR.
With the cost of another grille being high, thinking of doing "peel off paint" or a Vinyl wrap, so can be reversed if needed.
I'm sure some will cringe at this, but it makes it look a bit more modern IMO, like a newer CTS grille.
Thanks for any thoughts or opinions (pos or neg) !

Attachments

• 2005 XLR_Blacked Out Grille-2.jpg
    2005 XLR_Blacked Out Grille-2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 60
Good idea to improve the design before the XLR and maybe improve its cooling! I'm a taker! For my part, I just found XLR-V rims! Front 235/45 r19 and rear 255/40 r19 too good!

Attachments

• DCE891F9-0389-455E-ADB5-62ECBC323688.jpeg
    DCE891F9-0389-455E-ADB5-62ECBC323688.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
Those are very good looking rims . I like to use the same design but in 20" lots of tire choices and here in the states for that size tire on a 19" rim there's very little choice and the price is $$$$$$ . I buy wheels and tires for less than the cost of just 19" tires.looks good. As far as cooling you don't want to remove the grille backing as it actually reduces cooling. Its blocked off so the air goes in the bottom and thru the duct work on the radiator.

@ Lulone, Nice you were able to get an XLR and V wheels in Switzerland!

Here is updated pics of mine with "real blacked out grille" (previously did a photo rendering above).
Used a can of Marhyde Black Satin, which is very good and holds up well.
I also added the 2009 Platinum wheels this past week, lucky to have found them, especially in chrome!
I have a grille from a 2009 Platinum as well, may look to retrofit that in future, but takes effort to get out the grille, so will save for future project.

Attachments

• CY 2005 XLR-Black Grille & Platiunum Wheels-2.jpg
    CY 2005 XLR-Black Grille & Platiunum Wheels-2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 62
  • CY 2005 XLR-Black Grille & Platiunum Wheels-5.jpg
    CY 2005 XLR-Black Grille & Platiunum Wheels-5.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 53
  • CY 2005 XLR-Black Grille & Platiunum Wheels-1.jpg
    CY 2005 XLR-Black Grille & Platiunum Wheels-1.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 55

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!