Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infared XLR-V

I put the Dexron LS gear oil in my STS a month ago and it completely stopped the popping noises it was making while backing up. I plan on doing the same on the XLR now that I have a vehicle lift so I can get under it easily. I did find that to this day the dealers do not have the Dexron LS fluid in stock and still use the old gear oil and additive. They have to order it for me so I guess they are not following the service bulletin to use the new fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Thanks Onalaska,

I'll try to track down the dealer's work order and see what parts were used. I noticed the bulletin says "no additive required" with the LS fluid - they told me they put in the additive, so I bet they used the old fluid...

Carter
    '05 XLR
    Crimson Pearl
    '93 Allante Polo Green (sold)
    Avatar is "Sunrise over the Bering Sea at 35,000'"

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2015 Escalade, 2011 EXT, 2007 Escalade, 2004 XLR

There are 3 issues with the rear ends in these cars. The first is the incorrect posi lube was used in them which causes the rear end to pop when turning. The second issue is the posi clutch packs are wearning out too fast which also causes popping and an increased grinding noise when turning slowly. The third issue is the pinion depth on the pinion gear is set too deep on some units. This caues an odd squeel when turning and excessive heat in the rearend. All are very fixable but the rearend needs to be removed by the tech to really see what is agoing on. I ended up having the clutch packs replaced, the pinion depth reset and new clutch packs installed, all are covered by warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Thanks K9husker. Good info. I'll start with the correct fluid and then head down the path that many of you have already "blazed"!

Carter
    '05 XLR
    Crimson Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Platinum/Ebony,2011DTS,Platinum Edition White Diamond.

Probably not the right place to post this, update on my XLR, the tech told me this afternoon that instead of replacing the clutches with 8 as was the original, they are now replacing them with six. This is supposed to remedy the jerking when turning into a tight parking place. "Little Bugger" should come home tomorrow morning sometime, they still have to do the alignment.
    Robert (BB)

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Interesting. 6 instead of 8. Anyone seen an SB on that?

My dealer used a synthetic fluid, but it was not the GM LS fluid called for in the bulletin. I have some Mobil One LS fluid for my Denali that I may try in the XLR...otherwise, I'll ge them to change it at the next service...

Still have a little growl on dead stop sharp turns until the fluid warms up. Then it's quiet. No pops, no squeals...

Carter
    '05 XLR
    Crimson Pearl

Differential Noise 05 GRAND DADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

Default Trip & PA Inspection!

Any other recommendation I missed? Sending mine in this Friday for PA Inspection is due and a full overall check up, getting it ready for March trip to GA. So while it is in gonna get Trans flush, Coolant flush & Rear end lube exchange it has 61,000 mile, I think changing these is a good ideal keeping your oils clean, on next visit in when doing the brakes (when ever pads need changed) will do a brake fluid flush & power streering unit flush too! DID I MISS ANYTHING ELSE????

Caddyman Dan
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior

Question for those who may have had this service bulletin performed on their vehicles:

Saw this thread and knew I wanted to have it done as I have experienced the associated noises when in reverse and slow turning. I contacted my service advisor and learned that there had been an update to "B" on 4/14/10 that required the same Dexron gear oil replacement. I've scheduled it for tomorrow morning.

It appears that this is a procedure for which I will be responsible to pay. The cost is approx. $170 due to the high cost of the oil. My original warranty expired in Jan. of 2011 and I was able to nab a GMPP (shortly thereafter). The GMPP will not pay for this procedure, but will pay for the next step if necessary (differential replacement) at deductible cost only. Does this sound accurate to those who may have had a similar situation?
    Thanks!

LED upgrades: interior/exterior
    Plasmaglow Lightning Eyes (white/amber)
    Aft flank turn/brake indicators (LED)
    6000K Headlights
    6000K HID fog lamps
    CarbonXP 35 Window Tint
    Wind Restrictor with Glow Module/Ghosting
    Embroidered underhood/trunk deck lid insulator
    Custom Floor Mats (Lloyd's)
    Lockpick iPod module
    Mild to Wild exhaust baffle control
    Brushed stainless fuse box cover
    Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (4 X 255/40-19)

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 XLR - Satin Nickel

Quote Originally Posted by jjsea55 View Post
    Question for those who may have had this service bulletin performed on their vehicles:

Saw this thread and knew I wanted to have it done as I have experienced the associated noises when in reverse and slow turning. I contacted my service advisor and learned that there had been an update to "B" on 4/14/10 that required the same Dexron gear oil replacement. I've scheduled it for tomorrow morning.

It appears that this is a procedure for which I will be responsible to pay. The cost is approx. $170 due to the high cost of the oil. My original warranty expired in Jan. of 2011 and I was able to nab a GMPP (shortly thereafter). The GMPP will not pay for this procedure, but will pay for the next step if necessary (differential replacement) at deductible cost only. Does this sound accurate to those who may have had a similar situation?
    Thanks!
    Yes, this is reasonable for an expired warranty item. I had my diff fluid replaced yesterday because the rear end was slipping on tight turns. It fixed the problem and the cost was about the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Red Jewel XLR

Quote Originally Posted by jjsea55 View Post

Thanks!
    I had mine changed this past summer... before the slipping began - at my cost of around $160. Figured I'd be proactive rather than reactive, since most end up with the problem...
    Rod
    aka mt

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 Black XLR-V

Please tell me how a few quarts of oil can cost that much???
    Floyd

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Red Jewel XLR

Quote Originally Posted by XLR-V Lover View Post
    Please tell me how a few quarts of oil can cost that much???
    Hey, it's a specialty oil obviously ONLY available from one source. I'd like to see the markup. I'm actually surprised it's not more expensive...
    Rod
    aka mt

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Black Raven

But still less than a bottle of perfume

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Red Jewel XLR

Quote Originally Posted by Lola's Mom View Post
    But still less than a bottle of perfume
    How true... how true. Never have understood the cost of perfume!!
    Rod
    aka mt

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 black raven xlr-v

the cost of the perfume is relative to the results expected at the end of the evenings festivities.
    Obviously the oil is expected to give similar results and more regularly
    xlr-v the car that returns the favor, when you turn it on